Looking for a minimalist case

mcoomer

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Title says it all. I don't want a big, bulky Otter Box style case. I have a Tech21 on my Note 5 and I'm thinking of getting one of their Evo Check cases. Anything thinner and lighter that provides at least as much protection?

Thanks,
Mike

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I have a Spigen Ultra Hybred clear case that has a hard back and Tpu style bumper to add grip and a slim fit Spigen that is just basically a clip on case.

Right now I'm using an official Samsung Black Leather clip on case that offers good enough protection for me and good grip.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I have the otterbox symmetry case very thin but great protection.
522bca345f035d2d7c92f0a7ca6f3658.jpg
55ca3942b92468cc549a8f7018a05d37.jpg

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the tech 21 cases are good, I also like the Samsung silicon cases which are slim and provides decent enough protection for me. Never a fan of putting big bulky cases on phones especially phones this big which are already difficult to handle

The only thing I try to look for is to have a little raised lip so that they have some kind protection for the direct impact on the glass.

bulls96

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I got this from Amazon. It's pretty minimal. I like it.

Couldn't quite figure out how to copy a link forom the amazon app.
76f543e6d2196a9ad8c6f45df28e7430.jpg

ShelJW

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Title says it all. I don't want a big, bulky Otter Box style case. I have a Tech21 on my Note 5 and I'm thinking of getting one of their Evo Check cases. Anything thinner and lighter that provides at least as much protection?

Thanks,
Mike

If you're looking for very good protection in the most minimal size and weight, check out YouTube videos's of the Rhinoshield Crashguard! They're $25, fit around your phone but have no back to them.

I get the Crashguard and a skin, because I get sick and tired of wiping fingerprints off the back of my Note... I've ordered the Crashguard and a clear, matt skin, from SlickWraps. $19.95, less 50% from a sale they're currently having, brings your total to $10 for the clear, matt (or they offer clear not matt) skin for $10, and another $25 (even less, usually) for the Crashguard, and for $35 plus tax, you'll have a very well protected Note 10, that keeps fingerprints off your device!

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I got this from Amazon. It's pretty minimal. I like it.

Couldn't quite figure out how to copy a link forom the amazon app.
76f543e6d2196a9ad8c6f45df28e7430.jpg

This is the one I use. I also used the same kind on my Note 9 and S9+. The only thing I don't like is that the colored area around the camera is raised and causes a wobble. Wasn't an issue before as the cameras were centered before. Still, they had blue versions before so I'll probably get a blue one if it comes out.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
If you're looking for very good protection in the most minimal size and weight, check out YouTube videos's of the Rhinoshield Crashguard! They're $25, fit around your phone but have no back to them.

I get the Crashguard and a skin, because I get sick and tired of wiping fingerprints off the back of my Note... I've ordered the Crashguard and a clear, matt skin, from SlickWraps. $19.95, less 50% from a sale they're currently having, brings your total to $10 for the clear, matt (or they offer clear not matt) skin for $10, and another $25 (even less, usually) for the Crashguard, and for $35 plus tax, you'll have a very well protected Note 10, that keeps fingerprints off your device!

I've used the Rhinoshield Crashguard Bumper on my phones too and yes they offer minimalist options.

A dbrand Black Dragon Back skin to finish it off.

The only issues I had with the Crashguard Bumper is that they can be a touch slippy to hold and the power buttons are a little stiff even after prolonged usage and even with their improvements to the buttons by adding a small gap around the buttons.

Mine was also prone to wear and tear from rubbing when put in and out of a phone vertical holster I use at work,

All that said it's a pretty good bumper.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Check out the Pitaka Mag Cases. About half a millimeter thick and made of aramid. Soft coat finish that is very grippy. Love these cases

So these cases are worth the money if I want minimal and wireless magnetic charging? Because if not the price is a little high

s0070cm

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
So these cases are worth the money if I want minimal and wireless magnetic charging? Because if not the price is a little high
They are worth it to me. Very well made and they work as advertised. You can use code PITAKA10 during checkout to get another 10% off. I don't evangelize often about companies, but this one gets my thumbs up.

evan_2k

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
The slimmer = less protection. If your ok with that, then go with skins. I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid case on my 10+. It checks all the boxes for me- look, feel, adequate protection, and not bulky.

evan_2k

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I have a Spigen Ultra Hybred clear case that has a hard back and Tpu style bumper to add grip and a slim fit Spigen that is just basically a clip on case.

Right now I'm using an official Samsung Black Leather clip on case that offers good enough protection for me and good grip.

My wife has the Ultra Hybrid on her Aura 10+, very nice protection with the ability to still show off the color of the phone.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
They are worth it to me. Very well made and they work as advertised. You can use code PITAKA10 during checkout to get another 10% off. I don't evangelize often about companies, but this one gets my thumbs up.

Do they protect the phone well or are they just nice looking? Being as I have a new phone I'd like to be able to protect it as much as possible

s0070cm

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Do they protect the phone well or are they just nice looking? Being as I have a new phone I'd like to be able to protect it as much as possible
I would only trust it to protect the phone from scratches. The more protective a case is, the thicker it will have to be.

bulls96

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
You are all right. Can't have it both ways.

You will just have to find what level of thickness and level of protection you are comfortable with.

It will be different for everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance