Does an unlocked phone have and signal differences on verizon?

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So I have been using verizon for many years. I pay a premium and what I get is no drops and no connection issues. I may have had a few issues with certain phones in the past but mostly i got what i paid for. I had the s9 plus without issue. I dont recall ever having to even look at my phone to check it during a call.

So far on my unlocked note 10 plus on verizon I have had a few calls go choppy and today while parked a dropped call followed by no service, until i moved.

I am aware that I loose, or suppose to loose, wifi calling, hd voice and visual voicemail. All or some part of VoLTE, but is there anything else I am missing? Any priority issues, like now that I am not carrier locked other phones can push me out of the way? I really don't want to learn how to carrier lock or flash or whatever it is I would need to do to remake this phone into a verizon clone. I also hope its not a note 10 plus issue. I always hope phones get better not worse.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You get WiFi calling, VoLTE, HD voice, visual voicemail all on the unlocked model on Verizon. I haven't seen any call quality issues or drops on my unlocked Note 10+ on Verizon. Is this your first unlocked phone? If yes then sometimes it's just the perception that somehow carrier variant offers better signal than unlocked model. In fact the unlocked model gets the software updates only after all the carrier models receive theirs and one bull**** reason Samsung gives is that they have to certify that it works fine on all carriers. So it better be the same signal performance and also all the phones have the same universal modems so you aren't missing any bands as well.

TLDR - you shouldn't be seeing any difference between unlocked and Verizon variant.

miyanc

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You get WiFi calling, VoLTE, HD voice, visual voicemail all on the unlocked model on Verizon. I haven't seen any call quality issues or drops on my unlocked Note 10+ on Verizon. Is this your first unlocked phone? If yes then sometimes it's just the perception that somehow carrier variant offers better signal than unlocked model. In fact the unlocked model gets the software updates only after all the carrier models receive theirs and one bull**** reason Samsung gives is that they have to certify that it works fine on all carriers. So it better be the same signal performance and also all the phones have the same universal modems so you aren't missing any bands as well.

TLDR - you shouldn't be seeing any difference between unlocked and Verizon variant.

Yes its the first unlocked, I wasn't hoping for better , just not worse. I honestly hate talking on a phone, or maybe talking in general so the HD quality of my call in not interesting to me. If I have signal I shouldnt need wifi calling. Its enabled on the phone but I havent checked if it works and dont think it will. I use google voice for voicemail. I can't believe carriers are still trying to charger for these kinds of features, even when I couldnt use GV because VZW took it away i still only used the basic. I still want my phone to work as a phone when and if I need it to. I will keep testing.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
HD Voice uses the LTE network for calls, not using that is probably reducing your coverage and signal strength. There is also the issue Verizon plans to shut their CDMA network down rumored to be next year, phones without HD Voice won't be able to call.

darkestred

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I have mentioned this in one of my posts. My note 10 (unlocked) shows 2 bars (-107dbm). I don't feel like swapping the sim out to check but i am certain my s8 (verizon) was in the high 80, low 90s as i am about 1000 feet from a cell tower.

I lost GPS in an area i never lose GPS.

Aside from that, i have not had any call drops or bad call quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney