About the Spen....just curious

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I ask these questions specifically for those of you who are new to the Spen. Are you liking it
Are you hating it?
Too soon to tell?
Spen?... What Spen?

stronggeek

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Although I probably don't use half the functions (and text recognition doesn't work well for me) I like it a lot.
I cheat though. I use a tab S4 stylus half the time because it's easier for me to navigate and write with (the main reason I love the multiple s pens option).

ShelJW

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Not a new Note user, but I'll tell you what I love about the S Pen...

Previous phones, I'd be jotting down quick notes.. a phone number, an address, shopping lists... and I'd often lose them!

So, I started to jot down a note, then take a picture of it, and throw it away... being I now had it stored in my cell phone.

I realized that being able to just jot down quick notes, ideas, reminders, right into my phone for future use was much more practical! With the new Note 10 and 10+, Samsung even lets you search your notes by text! Jot down Sue's phone number, and you can search for "Sue", "Phone" or whatever!

The stylus is also very useful just to navigate your phone! It gives you much more precision then your finger ever could! Want to highlight and copy some text? Trying to put the cursor in between two words with your finger can be a pain... use a stylus, and it's a piece of cake!

The uses are really endless! Taking a group photo? Take the stylus out, compose the shot and press on the stylus button to trigger the shutter! Now, you can even zoom in or out using the stylus!

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not new to s-pen and only use it occasionally. Mostly use it for navigating around the phone once in a while

Very rarely use it for anything else.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Not new to the Note series or S pen. I had a Note 2, Note 8, Note 10.1 tablet, and now the Note 10+.

I like the Note 10+ S pen better than previous S pens mostly because it's a little thicker than previous S pens. That makes a difference for me when I hold it. I've always found the previous S pens to thin and light to comfortably use.

I also have a Surface Pro 5 and the Surface Pen is still the better pen. Though, that's not a fair comparison.

Last edited:

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Although I probably don't use half the functions (and text recognition doesn't work well for me) I like it a lot.
I cheat though. I use a tab S4 stylus half the time because it's easier for me to navigate and write with (the main reason I love the multiple s pens option).

Does that have any real impact on battery life? Saw the warning on the option to turn on multiple s pens

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I feel like I'm new to the Spen bc it's been a long time between Notes... I find myself using it more in my daily routine ..it's great writing on emails and when selecting stuff to outline or copy.. overall satisfied

Vizi

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This is my first Note and I love the S-Pen. I had a Palm Treo years ago and I used the stylus all the time, and that thing had a physical keyboard. I like the functionality of the S-Pen.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I ask these questions specifically for those of you who are new to the Spen. Are you liking it
Are you hating it?
Too soon to tell?
Spen?... What Spen?

I'm in between liking it and What Spen. I find myself forgetting to use it most of the time. But when I need it or want to use it, then it's a tool that makes the job I'm using it for so much easier. The pen plus baked in utilities are great at a lot of things. Sometimes the baked in utilities are possibly more useful than the pen.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I need to do better...

I think perhaps some are note takers and some are not. my profession lends me to taking notes. prior to that I didn't take notes. the s-pen has proven invaluable to me and I remember my excitement at discovering there was a phone with a pen and its arrival. that was my Note 3 and the notes (and Notes) just keep coming. love the pen.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to it, my first note, and find I never think to use it. Plus, since I'm not familiar with it, it's just easier and faster to do things without it because I have to learn how to do things. I would like to use it more, but I just dont see a lot of practical applications for me right now. Will probably mostly use the screen off note taking on occasion. As I learn more though I hope to use it more.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Will probably mostly use the screen off note taking on occasion

took me a while to start remembering to use the screen off note taking function, but once I did it has proven to be very valuable to me. but everyone is different and each person's use case will be different.

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Love it! Long time Note user.
Especially the extended use from the larger battery. Did my whole setup yesterday using the spen. On the note9 battery lasted about 45 min before requiring a quick recharge.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in between liking it and What Spen. I find myself forgetting to use it most of the time. But when I need it or want to use it, then it's a tool that makes the job I'm using it for so much easier. The pen plus baked in utilities are great at a lot of things. Sometimes the baked in utilities are possibly more useful than the pen.
It definitely brings a new level of accuracy compared to using a fingertip. Probably extremely helpful for those with sausage fingers. As for added functionality I'm still at a bit of a loss.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
It definitely brings a new level of accuracy compared to using a fingertip. Probably extremely helpful for those with sausage fingers. As for added functionality I'm still at a bit of a loss.

I agree with functionality. I love the camera option for remote photo capture but then I don't carry a tripod for my Note around and I don't see where I'd use my Note over my DSLR if I cared to pull out my tripod. The gestures with the pen seem gimmicky, so using it as a tool for accuracy, cutting/pasting and writing seem like my main uses at the time.

txa1265

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I use the S-Pen all the time, for note taking, navigation, and occasional ‘air commands’ ... but ultimately I mostly use it for text input. It is THE reason that I believe the Note series is the best Android solution, and ultimately the reason I go with Android over iOS while the rest of my family (wife and kids) are on iPhone.

But I have a long stylus history ... really fell in love with the Newton MessagePad 2000, then got a Palm III, then the whole myriad of WindowsCE and PocketPC devices. So when the Note 2 arrived, I jumped right on it - I preferred the hardware keys of the Droid and Droid 4, but lacking that I go for a stylus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech