Declined on trade in because of BS reason that simply isn't true

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I just got notified that I was declined the trade in of my Pixel 3 worth $600 for the trade to an unlocked Note 10+ because "my device was not factory reset." That is nonsense. It absolutely was factory reset. I've contacted Samsung support, but am not expecting joy with this given past threads about this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you remember to remove your Google and Samsung accounts from the phone before you reset it? If you didn't, that would cause Factory Reset Protection to become activated, which would then make the phone useless to anyone but you.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I removed those, although it didn't have a Samsung account since it was a Pixel. I removed it from my list of devices on my Google account.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Did you remember to remove your Google and Samsung accounts from the phone before you reset it? If you didn't, that would cause Factory Reset Protection to become activated, which would then make the phone useless to anyone but you.
So if I've factory reset my device before returning it, you are saying I need to start it back up and get logged in on Samsung and Google, then delete those accounts on the phone, then factory reset? How - in settings under accounts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So if I've factory reset my device before returning it, you are saying I need to start it back up and get logged in on Samsung and Google, then delete those accounts on the phone, then factory reset? How - in settings under accounts?

Whenever you plan a factory reset in preparation to give the phone to someone else, it's always a good idea to first remove your Google account (and Samsung account) from the phone in Settings>Accounts. If you do a factory reset without removing your Google account, on most phones that triggers Factory Reset Protection, which prompts the user to enter the previously associated Google account/password upon attempted startup.

If you did a factory reset without removing your Google account, try starting it up again and see if it prompts you for your Google account/password first (or early in the process). If it does, then log back in, and if you find that it boots back up to your usual setup, then remove your account from the phone as described above, and then do the factory reset again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I removed those, although it didn't have a Samsung account since it was a Pixel. I removed it from my list of devices on my Google account.

Tricky situation, then. Not sure how they'll respond to this. Perhaps they'll send it back to you (hopefully not on your dime), and you can see if the phone still boots up into your account, or if it starts up as a fully reset phone.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Before doing the factory reset, go to accounts and remove your google or samsung account from the phone, then reset. I always remove fingerprints and pins etc too. if everything is ok after the reset, the welcome and set up screen shows up just like when the phone was first turned on out of the box. I believe samsung makes you sign into your account before you can remove it.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Tricky situation, then. Not sure how they'll respond to this. Perhaps they'll send it back to you (hopefully not on your dime), and you can see if the phone still boots up into your account, or if it starts up as a fully reset phone.

I'm sure they will return it to you. I believe they only keep it if they accept the trade in. Perhaps ask them if you can factory reset it again and send it back for the trade in.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I even attempted phone restart to confirm that it doesn't prompt for previous information and redid the reset, after again removing my account. Anyway, not much I can do now other than wait. We'll see what happens, but I suspect best case scenario will be I'll get the Pixel back and be charged the full $600. My options then will be to live with it, or to return the Note for a 15% restocking fee, which is $165. On principal I feel returning it makes sense. But in practice I love this phone and that would be foolish.
Whenever you plan a factory reset in preparation to give the phone to someone else, it's always a good idea to first remove your Google account (and Samsung account) from the phone in Settings>Accounts. If you do a factory reset without removing your Google account, on most phones that triggers Factory Reset Protection, which prompts the user to enter the previously associated Google account/password upon attempted startup.

If you did a factory reset without removing your Google account, try starting it up again and see if it prompts you for your Google account/password first (or early in the process). If it does, then log back in, and if you find that it boots back up to your usual setup, then remove your account from the phone as described above, and then do the factory reset again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How frustrating! It would seem to me that the burden of proof should be on Samsung, if they're going to claim that your phone wasn't factory reset. But it's probably too much to ask them to show a photo or short video of your phone not booting to the normal setup wizard.:-\

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. I just read a similar issue that several (but not most) people had for the S10+ trade in program. Some actually filmed their phones, doing the factory reset, showing the removal of accounts etc with a timestamp just in case. Not sure what the outcome was though. I did think the $600 trade in was too good to be true, but Samsung is a reputable company, and I expect more from them. I shouldn't have to film everything just in case. Just won't be using this option in future.
How frustrating! It would seem to me that the burden of proof should be on Samsung, if they're going to claim that your phone wasn't factory reset. But it's probably too much to ask them to show a photo or short video of your phone not booting to the normal setup wizard.:-\

willpooted

Aug 21, 2018
Visit site
Great. I just came back from dropping off my Note 9 at Fedex. I did not remove my Google and Samsung accounts before factory-resetting. Am I SOL? How much did they dock you for not factory-resetting?

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Never heard of Factory Reset Protection and have never logged out on any of my phones since Nexus One, never had any issues. I call BS on this

Logging out is done for your personal protection. Or you can unauthorize your previous devices from google website

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Great. I just came back from dropping off my Note 9 at Fedex. I did not remove my Google and Samsung accounts before factory-resetting. Am I SOL? How much did they dock you for not factory-resetting?
If you went to the settings-reset-factory data reset it should ask for your device password and after that it should automatically remove all accounts, data basically factory reset as it's called. You should be good and the device will not be tied to you Google account or anything like that.

The only time at least on pixels I have seen it asking for my Google account password is when I had Android beta, did an opt out of beta and that initiates a factory reset. Once that's done, if I try to get into the device it asks for the previous device password or Google account password.

But in general cases without beta, factory data reset should be good based on my experience.

I have sold many phones and also traded in many phones, I haven't ever manually went and removed my Google account. Full factory data reset asks for device password and after that removes all associated account, data etc. To be safe after factory reset I always try to get in device again and select skip for all the set up steps to make sure I can get into the device without any restriction. Once I get in, I again just go and do another factory data reset so that the buyer or whoever uses the phone gets to setup everything from start.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
FRP has existed since Android 5.0 Lollipop.

Factory Reset Protection: What you need to know https://www.androidcentral.com/factory-reset-protection-what-you-need-know

You don't need to log out manually from any account, factory reset will take care of it automatically.

From the same article:

"On phones running Android 6 Marshmallow or later there shouldn't be any problems as long as you choose to factory reset your phone through its settings. This will automatically remove all the associated accounts in a way that "frees" the phone from FRP."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm