Declined on trade in because of BS reason that simply isn't true

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That's very disappointing to hear. Did you check to see if your Google account online still shows the phone linked to your account? Hopefully they allow you to reattempt the trade in offer after they send back device to you.

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just got notified that I was declined the trade in of my Pixel 3 worth $600 for the trade to an unlocked Note 10+ because "my device was not factory reset." That is nonsense. It absolutely was factory reset. I've contacted Samsung support, but am not expecting joy with this given past threads about this.
If you are declined do they send the phone back to you.

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I just got notified that I was declined the trade in of my Pixel 3 worth $600 for the trade to an unlocked Note 10+ because "my device was not factory reset." That is nonsense. It absolutely was factory reset. I've contacted Samsung support, but am not expecting joy with this given past threads about this.

I recently sold a Pixel 3a XL to an online site. Did the factory reset before sending it in, and got the same response from them that you got. They sent the phone back to me and my Google acct. was still on the phone. Talked to one of the techs at the site, told him I had re-set the phone and he told me Google recently, without telling anyone, did some secret fancy smancy thing that didn't remove the account. Phone was returned to me and sure enough, Google acct. was still there.
I went in, deleted the Google acct. sent the phone back and the check is in the mail.

I have no idea what happened here, just wanted to let you know you are not the only one who has gotten into this situation.

I have amassed a very large 4 letter word vocabulary - am willing to share all if you need them.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
how do you remove those before factory reset? I would likely have done the same figuring the FR handled it.
Go into the phone's main settings, and you should see one for accounts. Go into that and you'll find Google and other accounts you've registered on the phone (I.e. Skype, Yahoo, etc). You tap on the Google accounts and get the sign out option.

Samsmome

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Yeah. I just read a similar issue that several (but not most) people had for the S10+ trade in program. Some actually filmed their phones, doing the factory reset, showing the removal of accounts etc with a timestamp just in case. Not sure what the outcome was though. I did think the $600 trade in was too good to be true, but Samsung is a reputable company, and I expect more from them. I shouldn't have to film everything just in case. Just won't be using this option in future.

That is exactly why I didn't trade in my s7 edge. Could have had $250.00 for the phone, but if they find something wrong they don't give you the money. Also I heard/read they don't send your phone back to you.

Maybe I'm wrong on that last statement. Hopefully not.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
the thead has proven very eye opening. I just went to FDR and it shows every account I'm logged in on. I would have done an external reset and not even known about the internal reset.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I even attempted phone restart to confirm that it doesn't prompt for previous information and redid the reset, after again removing my account. Anyway, not much I can do now other than wait. We'll see what happens, but I suspect best case scenario will be I'll get the Pixel back and be charged the full $600. My options then will be to live with it, or to return the Note for a 15% restocking fee, which is $165. On principal I feel returning it makes sense. But in practice I love this phone and that would be foolish.
Don't settle! Fight! Completely removed the information as requested and send it back! Demand that customer service give you another label, or better yet go to a store with it...!

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I factory reset my Note 8 and did not log out of my Samsung or Google account on that device. I went through the setup just to make sure it doesn't require me to log into any of them, finished device setup and ended up on the clean home screen. I wasn't forced to login to Samsung or Google.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I just read a similar issue that several (but not most) people had for the S10+ trade in program. Some actually filmed their phones, doing the factory reset, showing the removal of accounts etc with a timestamp just in case. Not sure what the outcome was though. I did think the $600 trade in was too good to be true, but Samsung is a reputable company, and I expect more from them. I shouldn't have to film everything just in case. Just won't be using this option in future.
Please Always, and I mean always CYA in every situation. Document everything. I always go into a situation expecting the worst and what should I have in case something happens. It has saved me a few times.

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yikes. I mailed my package yesterday and only did a factory reset to the start screen. Didn't sign out of the Google or Samsung accounts. So we'll see.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
That is exactly why I didn't trade in my s7 edge. Could have had $250.00 for the phone, but if they find something wrong they don't give you the money. Also I heard/read they don't send your phone back to you.

Maybe I'm wrong on that last statement. Hopefully not.
They definitely do. It tells you in the fine print that you're eligible to receive your phone back.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I did video my reset but my trade was accepted

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Never heard of Factory Reset Protection and have never logged out on any of my phones since Nexus One, never had any issues. I call BS on this

Logging out is done for your personal protection. Or you can unauthorize your previous devices from google website
FRP is standard and has been standard for awhile. It's not BS. You have to remove your account prior to reset and then upon attempting reset it prompts you for your pin so you can reset it. The protection is in place to prevent someone from resetting your phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You don't need to log out manually from any account, factory reset will take care of it automatically.

From the same article:

"On phones running Android 6 Marshmallow or later there shouldn't be any problems as long as you choose to factory reset your phone through its settings. This will automatically remove all the associated accounts in a way that "frees" the phone from FRP."
You have to remove your account first then reset.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Typically, when I do a factory reset before a trade-in, I let the reset finish and wait for the phone to reboot and show the Setup Wizard screen. I'm pretty sure that as long as you see that show up, your Google account has been properly removed.

It's true that most articles for current phones say that doing a factory reset through the Settings>Backup menu should automatically remove your Google account as well, but I can still find some official support pages that recommend the user manually remove their account first, like this one: [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dac-vb-p-6631299%26u1%3DUUacUvbUpU6631299%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fuk%252Fsupport%252Fmobile-devices%252Fhow-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device%252F%2522&token=s7HP3fp-]www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device/[/URL]. In general, to be safe, I would still recommend this approach.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You have to remove your account first then reset.

No I do this all the time and never have removed the account manually. Never had a problem and the same article makes it clear as well. It's not like I'm new to resetting the phone

If it doesn't work for others I'm not arguing just stating what works for me. On Samsung phones when I do get factory reset it asks for device password followed by Samsung account password. After that everything is removed. For Pixel, it asks for device password and after that everything is removed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My pixel 3xl was in beta so I rolled back to offical version , it factory reset the device but I went through the wizard set up process up to use your Google account and said lock , I then enter my credentials and from there perform erase and factory reset which was fine afterwards.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Typically, when I do a factory reset before a trade-in, I let the reset finish and wait for the phone to reboot and show the Setup Wizard screen. I'm pretty sure that as long as you see that show up, your Google account has been properly removed.

It's true that most articles for current phones say that doing a factory reset through the Settings>Backup menu should automatically remove your Google account as well, but I can still find some official support pages that recommend the user manually remove their account first, like this one: [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dac-vb-p-6631306%26u1%3DUUacUvbUpU6631306%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fuk%252Fsupport%252Fmobile-devices%252Fhow-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device%252F%2522&token=-YhvAsOP]www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-perform-factory-reset-on-my-mobile-device/[/URL]. In general, to be safe, I would still recommend this approach.

Yes recommended and doesn't hurt removing the account first but not mandatory as some people here make it look like.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX