Declined on trade in because of BS reason that simply isn't true

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I go into accounts and remove accounts manually before reset that's my regimen. Also check for the sake of it like you do after wards.
That's the only way to truly guarantee a true erase especially with way things change. I wish there was a way to remote unlock like you can on Apple devices. I'm sure that will come soon if it isn't available already.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I was worried they weren't gonna accept my trade in because I waited until the last possible day to send it in. When I got to Walgreen's to drop it off, she said that ground had already left for the day so it wouldn't be picked up until the next day. I got my email that they've received it, but nothing since.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Ok, after continuing in the process, I discovered that I did mess up, and I feel it would be unfair not to own up to that here. My apologies for the noise here. I did in fact forget to remove my Google account. So although it looked like the device was reset and ready for a new user, at some stage in the bootup process it asked for the previous pin...

View attachment 309369

I fully understand the issue. I was ready to send my phone is just as I read your first post and some of the comments. Like you I thought everything was good, I started the phone and it looked like it was ready for a clean install. I unpackaged my phone and while doing an install I found my Google account was still on the phone. This must be new, in the past when I did a factory reset on my old Android phones they were clean.

Hopefully Samsung will work something out with you.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't the process of going through to setup and continue ask for your Google credentials almost immediately? Soon as you've done that you're back at square 1.
Yea people will tell you different stories on what works and doesn't. The only for sure thing is to reset the phone and go straight through to setup and continue until you get through to the home screen. That way no confusions and frustrations when sending off your phone.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
It takes them a while. I suspect if you got notification that they received it, it's likely that unless there are other issues like mine, they'll accept it.
I was worried they weren't gonna accept my trade in because I waited until the last possible day to send it in. When I got to Walgreen's to drop it off, she said that ground had already left for the day so it wouldn't be picked up until the next day. I got my email that they've received it, but nothing since.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I did screw up here. But ask yourself this... If Samsung really wants to have people benefit from the trade in program, could they not maybe email me and ask me for the pin to get in? Charge me $100 for the mistake or something rather than just flat decline? It took me all of 15 seconds to get it back to a point where I could do a FR again with no accounts. The way this program is setup is counting on a good group of people screwing up the return. If that wasn't the case, they'd sort it out or make it way easier.

I traded in 2 phones at T-Mobile in the past. Was the easiest thing in the world. No problems. Similarly at Best Buy. They spent time to make sure everything was done etc. I did not remove my Google account prior to Erase All and Factory Reset in both of those cases. It was never issue. I love Samsung phones and TVs. But not just based on this experience, also some others, I feel they still have a long way to go to become a good customer service company (even if their margins are admittedly way lower than say Apple).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It takes them a while. I suspect if you got notification that they received it, it's likely that unless there are other issues like mine, they'll accept it.

I was only getting $150 for an S7 Edge so I'm way less concerned than you are, but still it's $150. Hope everything works out for ya.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I just got an email from Samsung - and the trade-in was successful. I did not log out of my Google accounts on the phone, all I did was a Factory Reset through the Setup menus. So, not sure why it's been inconsistent, but this is how I've done it and this is my 3rd successful trade-in by doing nothing more than a Factory Reset through the setup-menu. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, I just got an email from Samsung - and the trade-in was successful. I did not log out of my Google accounts on the phone, all I did was a Factory Reset through the Setup menus. So, not sure why it's been inconsistent, but this is how I've done it and this is my 3rd successful trade-in by doing nothing more than a Factory Reset through the setup-menu. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.
Set-up menu is the way I've been doing it all these years .

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean you did not remove accounts from device prior to reset? I don't see an option to logout

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
My trade-in was accepted today. I didn't log out of my Google account before I did the factory reset and shipped it out last week. I did log out of my Google account late last night based on a link provided by a kind poster in this thread. I have no clue if it made a difference I suspect it didn't but it was good for me to log out of the old note 8 anyway.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Go to phone settings > general managements

View attachment 309465

This on it's own proves that their rejection is still bogus. I'm still trying to get them to give me something for the trade. I don't have too many high hopes on it, or much patience to continue down this path. But the fact that the Factory Data reset actually says it will erase the Google account and this is Samsung's own Settings screen proves that they really can't make this claim legitimately. If this wasn't $600, I wouldn't be fighting this. But I honestly would not have purchased the Note 10+ at this time were it not for this trade in offer. I may have done so later. At this stage, while I've been arguing with them about this, the return period has also expired.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
This on it's own proves that their rejection is still bogus. I'm still trying to get them to give me something for the trade. I don't have too many high hopes on it, or much patience to continue down this path. But the fact that the Factory Data reset actually says it will erase the Google account and this is Samsung's own Settings screen proves that they really can't make this claim legitimately. If this wasn't $600, I wouldn't be fighting this. But I honestly would not have purchased the Note 10+ at this time were it not for this trade in offer. I may have done so later. At this stage, while I've been arguing with them about this, the return period has also expired.
The rejection is based purely on their receipt of a locked device, though I agree that the instructions are not technically correct for everyone. What I don't understand is why they can't accept it as a trade after the device is corrected, especially in a case like yours where it wasn't your fault since you followed their instructions.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I did everything suggested, logged out of accounts, removed accounts, etc. and it still won't let me remove it from my google accounts. now what?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy