Samsung Trade-in, What Would You Do

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how to start a poll so asking for help from the hive mind. The Note 8 I'm trading in has an area of dead or whatever pixels that happened after a 2.5-3' fall to my carpet from my recliner.

I bought my 10+ from Samsung and their trade-in agent is known for pulling stuff like reducing the price and not letting you get the device back if you disagree with the reduction. This is my first ever trade-in experience and I'm on the fence about sending it in.

I'm only going to get $300 max back if they accept it, and if they reduce it because of those pixels, it's not worth it to me. I'm not sure if this is a screen thing or what but maybe I could get those fixed for not too much and still have a nice, if not amazing, secondary device for around the house with no service.

What would you do, and why? Thanks in advance.

*Keep it?
*Chance it and send it in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190907-185847_Apex Launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20190907-185847_Apex Launcher.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Don't know how to start a poll so asking for help from the hive mind. The Note 8 I'm trading in has an area of dead or whatever pixels that happened after a 2.5-3' fall to my carpet from my recliner.

Samsung's trade-in agent is known for pulling stuff like reducing the price and not letting you get the device back if you dis agree with the reduction. This is my first ever trade-in experience and I'm on the fence about sending it in.

I'm only going to get $300 max back if they accept it, and if they reduce it because of those pixels, it's not worth it to me. I'm not sure if this is a screen thing or what but maybe I could get those fixed for not too much and still have a nice, if not amazing, secondary device for around the house with no service.

*Keep it?
Are you in the US? just go to Best Buy and trade it on the spot.

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site

I bought my 10+ from Samsung and their trade-in agent is known for pulling stuff like reducing the price and not letting you get the device back if you disagree with the reduction. This is my first ever trade-in experience and I'm on the fence about sending it in.

*Keep it?

I had bad screen burn on mine and they took it no problem

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Go to a Samsung store to do it in person, there are some around. Tell them if they don't give you a receipt for what you expected, then you won't let then have the phone.

thank you. I am quite remote and not healthy. a long trip, at least two hours plus horrible traffic, would be so much of a burden that keeping it and forfeiting the $300 would be preferable.

KruseLudsMobile

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
thank you. I am quite remote and not healthy. a long trip, at least two hours plus horrible traffic, would be so much of a burden that keeping it and forfeiting the $300 would be preferable.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe you could bundle it together with all the old cables and cases etc, then sell as a bundle on Ebay

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your situation. Maybe you could bundle it together with all the old cables and cases etc, then sell as a bundle on Ebay

thank you. I appreciate your input. but honestly, in that case, same thing, I'd rather just keep it. I've never sold anything on ebay and wouldn't trust the buyer.

Last edited:

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

*Keep it?
I would chance it. Now, you can pay 25 bucks and have your device sent back to you if they don't accept it. No downside anymore since you can get the device back.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I would chance it. Now, you can pay 25 bucks and have your device sent back to you if they don't accept it. No downside anymore since you can get the device back.

thank you. it's only partly about that. sometimes you don't get that option. sometimes they simply say "this is what we're giving you, like it or not" and you don't get to request it back, or even resubmit it if you mess up some part of the trade-in up.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
thank you. it's only partly about that. sometimes you don't get that option. sometimes they simply say "this is what we're giving you, like it or not" and you don't get to request it back, or even resubmit it if you mess up some part of the trad-in up.
Well if you're worried about that. Just keep it then.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
because of the screen issue you probably wouldn't get all that much in a private sale anyway, I would just chance it with the trade in

MysticalDreams

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the same dilemma in a way... I had a Note 8 and a Note 9 (512) I was debating which phone I wanted to trade-in. After a forum post, discussions with my husband, my 2 sisters, and my stepson it suddenly became crystal clear what I was going to do when I sat down ar Best Buy to buy 2 Note 10+'s.
The Salesperson asked me if I was trading in a device, I said yes!! He asked what device and I said a Note 8 AND a Note 9!! Since I was buying two, I was able to trade in 2. I had not decided until that very moment.

I have always had a backup phone. It didn't matter if it was a $50 pay as you go backup or a Note...

What finally clicked in my head was a combination of what everyone asked me. They asked me am I going to be happier with the 8 or 9? And had I ever used the 8 since I had the 9. I had only ever used a backup phone once, for 2 days back when my Note 4 screen cracked and they had to order a new phone. The phone was only released 9 days prior to me cracking the screen!! The Phone itself was only 3 days old :/ I slipped on the ice, cracked the screen, sprained my ankle and pulled a muscle in my shoulder Not a good day!

Bottom-line to my entire story is this... Are you going to need or use a backup phone? If the answer is No, take whatever money they are going to give you and be happy! Should you need a backup phone, run to Walmart and buy a Pay-as-you-go and put your sim card in it and you are set with a decent back-up for a short time.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
It definitely a nice backup phone to have, I still have mine, haven't bothered selling it after I got the Note 9

thanks. agreed. even with the dead pixels, it's my best device and I rarely see them because I use dark themes and walls. it might even be a better device to use in my bedroom at night for streaming audio books. the battery is still great too.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

*Keep it?

When I traded in my Note 8 for the Note 9, I took a chance. The N8 had noticeable screen burn-in. I hoped that Samsung wouldn't notice it and they didn't. I got max trade-in value.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair