do not disturb keeps turning itself off overnight

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I keep my phone on do not disturb always.. I have exceptions set for calls and alarms. Otherwise notifications go to my watch , I don't need my phone making noise. This setup has been the same on my note 8 for years but since switching to the note 10+ last week every morning when i wake up the do not disturb has turned off.. I have turn on as scheduled turned off.. I just manually toggle it on and leave it there but I won't stick. Any ideas?

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Twice a week. Not everyday. But even still it should restart on do not disturb no? My note 8 always did

How do you set it to auto restart multiple times per week? Is that a new feature? On my S9+, I can only set it to restart at one time per week.

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
i can't remember if my note 8 had the option for multiple days in the restart schedule. I know I only had it setup to do it once a week so maybe not.. my note 10 definitely does though.. it prompted me during setup of device care to pick days so I went with Monday and Thursday. I'll watch to see if it's only the restart days that it pops out of do not disturb..even so that shouldn't be the case though, my note 8 restarted weekly and always remained in do not disturb.. I guess I could setup the do not disturb schedule to turn it back on 15 minutes after each scheduled reboot as a workaround if that's the case but I'm still not happy with that. I run the risk of the phone going back into do not disturb and missing something if I had turned it off for some reason.. it really should just stay on the setting I left it until I change it.. my note 8 always did

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
what is the purpose of constantly restarting if you don't need to? I restart sometimes anyway, but not on any schedule nor I have I ever felt a need to schedule it.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
what is the purpose of constantly restarting if you don't need to? I restart sometimes anyway, but not on any schedule nor I have I ever felt a need to schedule it.

The same reason you do the laundry, take out the trash and brush your teeth on a schedule. It's just better that way (usually!) 😉

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
what specifically does it do for you, other than making you feel like you brushed your teeth or did your laundry? is there something device specific that it does or helps?

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
well.. the device was not on do not disturb again this morning and today is NOT a restart day. Anyone have any other ideas? who would I call to report an issue.. Samsung? can anyone else replicate ?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I only restart my phone when I get an update usually. I've been doing the Note 10+ every week when it tells me to though. I haven't bothered turning the notification off yet. It'll mostly just clear up RAM, cache, etc.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I keep my phone on do not disturb always.. I have exceptions set for calls and alarms. Otherwise notifications go to my watch , I don't need my phone making noise. This setup has been the same on my note 8 for years but since switching to the note 10+ last week every morning when i wake up the do not disturb has turned off.. I have turn on as scheduled turned off.. I just manually toggle it on and leave it there but I won't stick. Any ideas?

I think I found your solution:

Turn off Strong Protection:

Settings
Biometrics and security
Other security settings
Strong Protection

I noticed that after a restart, my clock even reverted to the factory default and an incoming phone call appeared as a number-only, despite being in my phone book. I knew something was up 😄

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Settings
Biometrics and security
Other security settings
Strong Protection

I noticed that after a restart, my clock even reverted to the factory default and an incoming phone call appeared as a number-only, despite being in my phone book. I knew something was up 😄

Based on what do you think that would be the cause ? Just curious. I'll give it a try next time I can replicate it. Oddly enough the phone has remained in donot disturb for the past 2 days 🤷*♂️

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Based on what do you think that would be the cause ? Just curious. I'll give it a try next time I can replicate it. Oddly enough the phone has remained in donot disturb for the past 2 days 🤷*♂️

Because disabling DND after a restart falls in line with thwarting a would-be thief's plight to remain under-the-radar until they have managed to get rid of or sell the phone (if you ask me!)

Removing personalization also further protects the identity and privacy of the victim (which is what I noticed.)

just_luc

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
been too busy to deal with this recently but still having the same iasue. I did turn off strong protection. didn't help. do not disturb is still turned off nearly every morning when I wake up.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
been too busy to deal with this recently but still having the same iasue. I did turn off strong protection. didn't help. do not disturb is still turned off nearly every morning when I wake up.

Just to give you hope that it's not you or the phone's hardware, it could be a buggy firmware. My phone was doing a few wonky things on the factory default firmware and changing to a different CSC actually resolved the issue. Bizarre, but I'll take it!

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Settings
Biometrics and security
Other security settings
Strong Protection
Leaving your device exposed by turning off strong protection would be an inadvisable workaround even if it were relevant, which it isn't. As the documentation states, strong protection merely assures that your device is securely encrypted and cannot be restarted without your credentials.

I always have strong protection enabled and have never found it to interfere with Do Not Disturb, so the problem here is something else (I have no idea what).

I noticed that after a restart, my clock even reverted to the factory default and an incoming phone call appeared as a number-only, despite being in my phone book. I knew something was up
Something is indeed up, but it is not an inherent problem with strong protection. I would advise investigating further.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Because disabling DND after a restart falls in line with thwarting a would-be thief's plight to remain under-the-radar until they have managed to get rid of or sell the phone
How? Turning off DND just means the phone will vibrate or beep or pop up a notification when certain events occur, unless you prevent those by other simple means (such as turning off notifications unconditionally). How would that thwart a thief?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
sorry to piggyback this discussion, but why doesn't DND mean DND? I still get emails every night even with it on. is there any way to stop this behavior? I'm po'd during the night and every morning when I wake up. thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC