Never Understood why Folks paying premium for 5G phones in the US.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Here in the real world if you can buy a note10+, you can afford the 5G.

I bought mine to run on a less congested network where possible. 5G is great as no one is using it.

There is zero chance it will be at my home area anytime soon. But, I travel every day and most cities here have it or shall have it very soon.

Will be interesting if 5G roaming will be a thing in the near future too.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I didn't get the 5G plan. We don't have 5G in Hawai'i. I'm not a complete ID10T.
I tried to preorder the 5G version online and it wouldn't let me move past the plan selection until I changed to 5G.

Then I looked and saw it's in like two neighborhoods in Providence, which is 40 minutes north of where I am and I'm never there so figured it wasn't worth it

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I agree. The only carrier to have 5G in Minneapolis is Verizon and it's only located within a city block of the US Bank Stadium. I never go to Vikings games so any 5G phone would be useless to me at this point.

Venom0642

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's worthless, 5G won't be out at least another 3 to 5 years, and i mean the real 5G, cause this isn't really 5G so a waste of money, by the time real 5G be out, everyone that bought the 5G Note10 Plus, be on the Note14 or 15 what ever it be called at that time, basically this is how they get you on your money, haha but very true what I am saying, so I'll stick with the Normal Note10 Plus.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a 5G market on sprint, and yes I have the LG V50, and it's nice to actually use my phone's Hotspot and actually connect my computer to the internet and play a online game such as Mechwarrior online as if I had it hardwired "rj45" into a Verizon fios hub playing the game. Latency is low, no stuttering or lag of the game. Yes I'm on 5g and the 4g performance of the phone is better also. Just my observation.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I jumped on it just because. My phone plan price didn't increase and the 5G version of the Note 10+ was $200 more. I only financed $350 through Verizon (which will be paid off here in another month) so I didn't really care. I'll be in one of the first markets for it by the end of the year. I know it won't really start making a difference until next year but hey, if I could get it for an extra $200 and not increase my monthly bill, it's not financially inconveniencing me.

At least the S10+ 5G and Note 10+ 5G are better phones than that atrocious HTC 4G phone that was on Verizon. It was the first 4G LTE phone they offered but adding that did increase the cost of the plan, the phone didn't have any initial incentives, its battery life was borderline criminal, and it was an all around POS. My wife was talked into one when they still did 2-year contracts and she had to use that thing for the full two years before being able to get a much better phone.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I skipped the 5G this time around because - One: my understanding is that current gen 5G chipsets are not battery friendly, Two: It will be rare occurrence that I find myself in a spot with available 5G before my next phone upgrade, and Three: Even if I did stumble into a 5G zone sometime in the next year, I'm not sure what I would be doing to suddenly need to move huge amounts of data quickly. That's a pretty darn rare situation right there.

So, I just don't see much of an upside yet to compensate for the battery hit and extra expense.
More efficient 5G chips (that are also not permanently locked to a carrier like today's 5G chips) are supposed to start appearing in handsets next year. I'll re-evaluate at Note 11 time.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I skipped the 5G this time around because - One: my understanding is that current gen 5G chipsets are not battery friendly, Two: It will be rare occurrence that I find myself in a spot with available 5G before my next phone upgrade, and Three: Even if I did stumble into a 5G zone sometime in the next year, I'm not sure what I would be doing to suddenly need to move huge amounts of data quickly. That's a pretty darn rare situation right there.

So, I just don't see much of an upside yet to compensate for the battery hit and extra expense.
More efficient 5G chips (that are also not permanently locked to a carrier like today's 5G chips) are supposed to start appearing in handsets next year. I'll re-evaluate at Note 11 time.
You nailed it on the head. Why in the world do I need 1.4 GB download speeds on my phone? LOL LOL I don't even need that on my home PC. it's really mind boggling.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
You nailed it on the head. Why in the world do I need 1.4 GB download speeds on my phone? LOL LOL I don't even need that on my home PC. it's really mind boggling.

5G isn't just about top speed, it is as much about having a reliable and quick connection in larger crowds like concerts and other things, cities are growing and getting denser populated too, but if you live out in the sticks I agree it's pointless as the carriers won't get you 5G until they start working on 6-7-8G

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
This.
Presuming it is Only about speed is shortsighted.

Lower contention. Easier deployment. Bigger concentration when needed. Scalability.
In a relatively short time ( in comparison to 3g to 4g) it will change how we get our data. The best thing is we won't really notice.
5G isn't just about top speed, it is as much about having a reliable and quick connection in larger crowds like concerts and other things, cities are growing and getting denser populated too, but if you live out in the sticks I agree it's pointless as the carriers won't get you 5G until they start working on 6-7-8G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007