Samsung Note 10+ AKG Headphone Issue

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hey.

This is a question probably more geared toward anyone who preordered the Note 10.

I'm having a massive compatibility issue between the Note 10 and the headphones that came bundled in with the preorder (AKG N700 wireless noise cancelling).

They connect via Bluetooth fine. But if any app uses Bluetooth in the background the audio completely drops and I have to re-pair the headphones. This also happens if, once paired, you then go back in to the Bluetooth settings on the phone. Has anyone else had this issue? My wife got the same phone and headphones and is having the same issue.

Steps taken so far;
Factory reset phone
Had the headphones replaced by Samsung.
Tried the headphones on an older phone running Android 8 (they work fine).
Tried different Bluetooth headphones on the Note 10 (they work fine).
Contacted AKG for support (they said that because the headphones work on other models this is a Samsung issue).

Contacted Samsung support who advised the following;
Delete Bluetooth and network settings.
Factory reset phone.
Delete AKG app then factory reset phone.

None of this is working and it's doing my head in as they cut out every 10 mins or so. Please help

nukesike

Sep 15, 2019
Visit site
I found the source of the problem - There is an issue between the AKG N700NCM2 + Samsung Scalable Codec + bluetooth scanning

How to reliably reproduce the problem (and fix)

1. Connect AKG to Note10
2. Check "Bluetooth Audio Codec" in Developer options. It should have defaulted to Scalable Codec
3. Start playing video or music
4. Open the bluetooth panel from settings.
Opening the panel starts a scan (stop button at the top). This should cut the audio
5. Go to Developer options
6. Change "Bluetooth Audio Codec" to SBC or AAC (these are supported by AKGs)
7. Audio should be fixed.

My guess is the random disconnections are happening due to bluetooth scan happening in the background.

Unfortunetely, ScalableCodec will default everytime you reconnect the AKGs.

There is a quick and easy solution...
Enable dual audio on the phone under Bluetooth/Advances --- this forces the phone to default to SBC.

I reproduced this on a note8 so this doesn't seem to be note10 specific