This is only happening sporadically but is very frustrating. While on a call, I draw down from the top of the screen to access the speaker or the dial pad and I continuously get a black screen. When the call ends an app that wasn't open might display. Today WhatsApp displayed and the icon wasn't even on my home page so I couldn't have accidentally pressed it. I've restarted the phone but it's still occurring. Any thoughts other than my phone is possessed.
    09-17-2019 11:23 PM
    Mine is doing it too.
    09-17-2019 11:32 PM
    Interesting, what carrier you guys on ?
    09-17-2019 11:50 PM
    Verizon
    mustang7757 likes this.
    09-17-2019 11:51 PM
    Did this start happening after a update ?
    09-17-2019 11:54 PM
    This is only happening sporadically but is very frustrating. While on a call, I draw down from the top of the screen to access the speaker or the dial pad and I continuously get a black screen. When the call ends an app that wasn't open might display. Today WhatsApp displayed and the icon wasn't even on my home page so I couldn't have accidentally pressed it. I've restarted the phone but it's still occurring. Any thoughts other than my phone is possessed.
    Definitely odd.....I was going to suggest trying it in safe mode just to rule out a third party app causing it but then realized it automatically won't do it in safe mode because it can't load 3rd party apps.
    09-17-2019 11:55 PM
    Not sure if I'm updated. What is the version?
    09-18-2019 12:19 AM
    Not sure if I'm updated. What is the version?
    Are you on September security?
    09-18-2019 12:46 AM
    Hmm.. Not sure. I thought it was Knox.
    09-18-2019 08:23 AM
    I'm on Verizon, also. I've only applied the original update that was available when I got the unlocked version from Samsung.
    09-18-2019 08:39 AM
    I stopped by Best Buy to talk with the Samsung rep about this continuing frustrating behavior of getting a black screen when I try to draw down from the top of the display to see the call bar when on a call. He was able to replicate it and said it seems to be a manufacturing glitch and asked that I take the phone to UBreakItIFixit for diagnostic testing and possible repair. I'm really happy that he was able to duplicate the problem. He said he hasn't seen any other phones exhibiting this behavior.

So, are there any words of wisdom for me when I take the phone in? What has your experience with them been like?
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    10-11-2019 07:54 PM
    Maybe your finger passed the proximity sensor? Thus the black screen...
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-11-2019 10:22 PM
    Maybe your finger passed the proximity sensor? Thus the black screen...
    That's a good thought but I watched the Samsung rep continuously try to draw the screen down and he was doing it from the right upper corner and the screen kept flashing black.
    10-11-2019 11:12 PM
    That's a good thought but I watched the Samsung rep continuously try to draw the screen down and he was doing it from the right upper corner and the screen kept flashing black.
    The Proximity sensor is indeed on the top right side of the phone...
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-11-2019 11:36 PM
    And i think the proximity sensor is wide angle. Thus making the screen turn black. Can you try pulling down the notification bar from the top left corner?
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-11-2019 11:59 PM
    I have had this happen, it happened on the s10+ also. Didn't think about the proximity sensor. I usually swipe down from the middle area while on call. When not on a call, I have Nova launcher set to do that by swiping down on screen, no issues there.
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-12-2019 07:46 AM
    I was able to replicate it and I get a black screen when drawing down anywhere between center and the right corner. Left of the lens to the left corner works fine. So then, is this normal behavior, considering the proximity sensor is wide angle?
    10-12-2019 11:12 AM
    I was able to replicate it and I get a black screen when drawing down anywhere between center and the right corner. Left of the lens to the left corner works fine. So then, is this normal behavior, considering the proximity sensor is wide angle?
    Its normal... Im not saying for sure the proximity sensor is wide angle but im pretty sure its the Proximity Sensor...
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-12-2019 12:02 PM
    Yes, I've encountered it too (and was confused by it too). It's arguably a design flaw (the phone should at least flash a "proximity sensor" message or something to explain what's going on), but it's normal & it's easily worked around once you realize what going on. Nothing to repair.
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-12-2019 12:05 PM
    It just happened again, but on the left corner and not the right. At least I know now to try the opposite corner if one doesn't work.

One note, it's not just a momentary black flash, but the screen stays black, preventing the call bar from displaying.
    10-12-2019 12:05 PM
    It just happened again, but on the left corner and not the right. At least I know now to try the opposite corner if one doesn't work. I might just run it by IFixIt just to have them run the diagnositics to be sure.
    Ah, im sorry i couldn't help xD
    10-12-2019 12:09 PM
    Ah, im sorry i couldn't help xD
    No, you did help. At least, I have a work around until I can take it in to be checked.
    10-12-2019 01:20 PM
    Update: I took the phone to UBreakIFix and the problem is with the motherboard. So, it has to go back to Samsung for repair. I'm really bummed and should have sent the phone back within the 1st 2 weeks. I just bought a used S7 to have a phone to use while the N10+ goes back to Samsung. UBreakIFix said they've not seen anything like this before.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    10-14-2019 08:35 PM
    sorry to hear, but glad you got it figured out.
    jadenerd likes this.
    10-14-2019 08:39 PM
    Hmm.. Not sure. I thought it was Knox.
    Oh boy! Did I write that? I do have September update.
    10-14-2019 10:11 PM