45w charger

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
The free bundle that I ordered after the pre-release will be complete tomorrow when the 45w charger arrives...I look forward to seeing how fast the 10 plus hits 100% after a full days use.

Borarjti

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
flossy Carter did a comparison in a video yesterday and it hit 100% from 0% in like 50mins and just over an he for 25w

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I was eagerly awaiting his video. I will spend that $50 elsewhere. In fact, that's just what I need to get a Galaxy Tab A with my credit...

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Samsung should improve charging speeds on the 45w charger....not much difference between 25w and 45w....maybe with software update...it can charge at least in 40 mins to full charge would be awesome

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
it charges a lot faster when the phone is almost dead. I cant tell a difference when its 50% or so however. just my observations, I haven't timed it or done a real test though.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered it, it was in backorder but Note 10 plus 5G should be waiting for me when I get back from holiday next Friday so I'll be using the 25w for a week or two before it arrives, should give a good idea of how big the difference is, I'm to curious to not get the 45w and I saved over a hundred quid on the phone so why not

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I believe it's more important from say %1 to 70 percent not 100%..plenty of times we on vacation and just got time to shower and get desssed and leave back out... Bout 30 mins could get me to like 70% I'm cool with that

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's more important from say %1 to 70 percent not 100%..plenty of times we on vacation and just got time to shower and get desssed and leave back out... Bout 30 mins could get me to like 70% I'm cool with that

This exactly is the situation this charger is for. I always wireless charge but their may once in a blue moon where I need a quick charge and don't have time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung should improve charging speeds on the 45w charger....not much difference between 25w and 45w....maybe with software update...it can charge at least in 40 mins to full charge would be awesome
45 minutes from 0 to full charge would be a 1.33C charge, which would probably destroy the battery on the first charge. The battery is 4.3 Amps, so you can't charge it at more than 4.3 Amps and, since charging isn't 100% power transfer (nothing is), it takes over 1 hour from 0% to 100%. (No matter which lithium battery we're talking about, no matter which carrier, no matter what power in the battery. It's physics, and the fact that lithium batteries can't be charged at greater than their current rating.)

But discharging the battery to 0 kills it quickly, the best operating range is 45%-100%. Since the battery gets warmer as the charge in the battery goes up, it usually only fast charges to 70%, so it's only fast charging for the first 25% of the time (to a 70% charge, then it drops back to normal charge, to keep the phone from becoming a Note 7. It's still going to take normal charge time for the last 30% of the charge, even if they could charge it from 45% to 70% in a few seconds (which would leave tiny pieces of phone embedded in the walls).

Bottom line - the reason they can't speed charging up much more is the laws of physics.

I believe it's more important from say %1 to 70 percent not 100%.
1. Discharging it to 1% regularly will mean a battery replacement is in your very near future.

2. It doesn't fast charge from 70% to 100% as it is. If you charge it starting at 70%, no matter which charger you're using, the phone is only asking the charger for a normal charge.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
45 minutes from 0 to full charge would be a 1.33C charge, which would probably destroy the battery on the first charge. The battery is 4.3 Amps, so you can't charge it at more than 4.3 Amps and, since charging isn't 100% power transfer (nothing is), it takes over 1 hour from 0% to 100%. (No matter which lithium battery we're talking about, no matter which carrier, no matter what power in the battery. It's physics, and the fact that lithium batteries can't be charged at greater than their current rating.)

But discharging the battery to 0 kills it quickly, the best operating range is 45%-100%. Since the battery gets warmer as the charge in the battery goes up, it usually only fast charges to 70%, so it's only fast charging for the first 25% of the time (to a 70% charge, then it drops back to normal charge, to keep the phone from becoming a Note 7. It's still going to take normal charge time for the last 30% of the charge, even if they could charge it from 45% to 70% in a few seconds (which would leave tiny pieces of phone embedded in the walls).

Bottom line - the reason they can't speed charging up much more is the laws of physics.

1. Discharging it to 1% regularly will mean a battery replacement is in your very near future.

2. It doesn't fast charge from 70% to 100% as it is. If you charge it starting at 70%, no matter which charger you're using, the phone is only asking the charger for a normal charge.
Agreed,

Problem is a lot of consumers don't understand the C rate of charge. Most of the people I know who are familiar are engineers or people who operate RC vehicles and Helicopters.

In any event unless you always drop your device to zero the time it takes to charge a device isn't that significant. Even from zero whether its 50 minutes or a bit over an hour does it really impact anyone's life?

Of course we will get those that keep a phone no more than a year who don't care if they kill a battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you try hard you can kill a brand new battery in a month, so they should.

Not understanding how a phone works may not be as dangerous as not understanding how a car works (except for not understanding drum brakes back in the day, driving through a flooded area, then slamming the brakes on when a kid darts out in front of you), but the problem is still the user, not the thing being used.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Mine came in this morning. Probably the first time in my life I've gotten a package at 8 AM on a Saturday. :)

This thing is pretty fast. I probably wouldn't have paid $50 for it given how fast the included charger is, but I will almost definitely use this thing as my after-the-gym and travel charger.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I was eagerly awaiting his video. I will spend that $50 elsewhere. In fact, that's just what I need to get a Galaxy Tab A with my credit...

I grabbed the Galaxy Tab A 32 gig 2017 model from Sam with my 150.00 credit. It originally was 200.00.
Caught it with a 40% off deal and Bam I only paid 9 bucks for it.
It's the 8" one
Plus it's updated to pie and One UI 1.1

Really a hellava deal. And I don't like tablets.
But needed it for the cameras in my home.
Just a suggestion.
Check it out

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tip! My current tablet is a Nexus 7 2013. Getting the 10.1" screen for watching videos on sounds nice. Especially for $50.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I grabbed the Galaxy Tab A 32 gig 2017 model from Sam with my 150.00 credit. It originally was 200.00.
Caught it with a 40% off deal and Bam I only paid 9 bucks for it.
It's the 8" one
Plus it's updated to pie and One UI 1.1

Really a hellava deal. And I don't like tablets.
But needed it for the cameras in my home.
Just a suggestion.
Check it out

That's deadly for 9 quid, even if you are not really a tablet person it'll come in handy when flying etc.
Pair it with an Anker Soundcore BT speaker (24 hour battery) and you have a great portable stereo too

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood