Anyone using a free VPN on their note 10+?

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've been using
Ip Vanish and others at one time or another.
They were great until this past week, it's slicing into my bandwidth big-time.

I get 450 down. When activated it knocks me all the way down to 9-13 down.

Just curious what's out there that doesn't cut into my bandwidth so much. I asked them, they said no changes were made. 🤔 Right?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

It necessarily doesn't have to be free I can pay for it, but they're going to be slicing into it that much then I might as well not pay for one.

Thank you.
If there is a post for this, kindly merge. I apologize for any inconvenience mods.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I use my own VPN (OVPN server on a RPi4B). The RPi itself is the bottleneck, giving me 25-30 Mbps up & down. That's enough to stream video at 1440p, so it suffices for my purposes. (My RPi is connected by WiFi, and might give better VPN throughput with an ethernet connection.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
A VPN will reduce your bandwidth - there's no way to use a VPN without losing bandwidth (unless the VPN bandwidth is so great that you don't notice the small change, but it would cost big bucks for a VPN like that). Free VPNs seem to have lower bandwidth to start, so you end up with a greater reduction.

I use my own VPN (OVPN server on a RPi4B).
For what? You're still ending up with the same external IP address, whether you're going through the VPN or you're connecting directly to the router.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
For what? You're still ending up with the same external IP address, whether you're going through the VPN or you're connecting directly to the router.
Yes, it's not intended to conceal where I'm connecting to (I wouldn't necessarily trust commercial VPNs for that either). It's for security when using public WiFi, and for bypassing carrier video-streaming "optimization" (throttling). Also, if I'm traveling abroad, it gives websites the impression I'm connecting to them from the US.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
With her job she's wired into their intranet.
They have their own software, proprietary information I'm not privy she says.

I have to use a vpn for the payee system I use personally. No big deal I just noticed Ip Vanish slowed me way down.
I've never been in the single digits with them.
Always ran 20-26 down.

I think I'm a go with Express VPN.
7 day trial for free so wth. If I can get back up to at least 15 I'm good.

My son came, took care of it and all is well.
If that doesn't work CyberGhost it is.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
With her job she's wired into their intranet.
They have their own software, proprietary information I'm not privy she says.

I have to use a vpn for the payee system I use personally. No big deal I just noticed Ip Vanish slowed me way down.
I've never been in the single digits with them.
Always ran 20-26 down.

I think I'm a go with Express VPN.
7 day trial for free so wth. If I can get back up to at least 15 I'm good.

My son came, took care of it and all is well.
If that doesn't work CyberGhost it is.

You should have better experience with ExpressVPN. While a VPN does cause some overhead and speed drops.. it shouldn't be as drastic as from 400+ to not even 10.

I use NordVPN and without it on I can get 300+ on wifi (more if I were to go to other wifi channels). With it on 100+ without issue... Just as long as I'm not trying to connect to Europe or something.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I'll be going to India over Christmas to visit some relatives. Can anyone recommend a good VPN that would let me use Netflix, Spotify, etc. while overseas as though I were back here?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll be going to India over Christmas to visit some relatives. Can anyone recommend a good VPN that would let me use Netflix, Spotify, etc. while overseas as though I were back here?
Running your own VPN server (in the US) on an RPi would be good for that. There's just a one-time cost of less than $50 for the device.

If you connect to a commercial server, there's a chance Netflix etc. would recognize and ban the IP addresses they use.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

ExpressVPN is great for that but expensive.. unless you are only going for a month then one month would be like $12-13. They have specific servers that are ensured to not be blocked by Netflix. You just contact their 24/7 chat and ask which one and they tell you right away. You connect and go.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
ExpressVPN is great for that but expensive.. unless you are only going for a month then one month would be like $12-13. They have specific servers that are ensured to not be blocked by Netflix. You just contact their 24/7 chat and ask which one and they tell you right away. You connect and go.

Cool, thanks. ExpressVPN it is!

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
will the vpns mentioned here block ads as well, or are they only for privacy concerns? thank you.

Express VPN on trust pilot grabbed 5 Stars.
My son took care of it and it's 30 day Money back guaranteed.
It's pricey, but rather pay more and worry less.

Check it out for yourself
ExpressVPN.com

There's only a handful of VPN's that are truth worthy.
Doing something you're not suppose to do then one should worry.
For a helping hand in protection it is well worth it.

No ads I've seen and my speed went from 8 down to 40 down.

He also download a Torguard and a CyberGhost and Mullvad.
I think I'll just keep Express.
Running very smooth when needed.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
You should have better experience with ExpressVPN. While a VPN does cause some overhead and speed drops.. it shouldn't be as drastic as from 400+ to not even 10.

I use NordVPN and without it on I can get 300+ on wifi (more if I were to go to other wifi channels). With it on 100+ without issue... Just as long as I'm not trying to connect to Europe or something.

I'm by far no expert an always turn someone who has experience.
But the first thing he did was make sure I didn't have Nord VPN. He said they are trash. Hell I don't know.
He told me to stay away from them.
He's on the IT team for Agro. When he's here, everything gets fixed.
😂
I use to be about to use the Service my wife is logged into. Made a mistake by going on her laptop and searching for I'm a married man looking for a single woman😂😂😂😂😂

Nooo! I wouldn't of did that. They just updated their rules that's all. 😁

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm by far no expert an always turn someone who has experience.
But the first thing he did was make sure I didn't have Nord VPN. He said they are trash. Hell I don't know.
He told me to stay away from them.
He's on the IT team for Agro. When he's here, everything gets fixed.

I use to be about to use the Service my wife is logged into. Made a mistake by going on her laptop and searching for I'm a married man looking for a single woman

Nooo! I wouldn't of did that. They just updated their rules that's all.

They are pretty good. I'm in IT myself. Nord has one issue.. some servers get overloaded. So sometimes you have to connect to another place to get better speeds. That's the only issue I've run into with them.

Once ExpressVPN puts in what Nord has for iPhone I'll switch. Which is auto connect when on WiFi. I have that always on so anytime I'm on wifi the VPN auto connects (screenshot below).
So far only NordVPN has that for iPhones. The day ExpressVPN puts that in for their iOS app I'll swap.

Adjustments.JPG

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I use Private Internet Access. It's not free, and it doesn't affect my bandwidth TOO much.

I just got 42Mbps down and 45Mbps up near Aloha Stadium.

I use it mostly when I travel, especially over seas. When traveling in the US, I only connect to the hotel's WiFi. When I'm not at the hotel, I just use LTE.

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I have NordVPN as well and like it quite a bit. Like mentioned earlier now and then I will have to switch servers because it gets overloaded but that's maybe once a week I have to do that. Works great on my home computer, phone, tablet and Amazon Fire Cube. The only draw I can think of is that it doesn't allow port forwarding but I don't think that is considered a high demand feature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles