09-27-2019 06:51 AM
41 12
tools
    I had a Galaxy S9 that I bought in May of 2018. Up until a few days ago, it was fine,nut then a faint burn-in of the keyboard appeared. I was planning to upgrade to the Note 10 anyway and traded my S9 om for it yesterday.

With the Note, I am keeping it on Night Mode and dark mode on several apps. Even so, I an afraid of burn-in. I work 3rd shift security, so sometimes I do stream YouTube or talk on FaceBook messenger when I have no trucks or anything going on. With the s(, I should also mention that I had the rightness constantly on 70/75 % and the time out set to ten minutes. Even then, I kept the screen black when not in use.

I don't mean to sound so paranoid, but I have never experienced burn-in before. Even when I had an S7 Edge heavily, it never showed any signs of it.
    09-20-2019 05:31 PM
    had the rightness constantly on 70/75 %
    why so high? I keep mine fairly low and do other things to prevent burn-in. never had it, but I would also never have my screen that high constantly. I also keep my time out lower, much lower, than that. my use case is my own only
    09-20-2019 05:45 PM
    That was on the S9. My Note is set to like 45% n brightness.
    09-20-2019 06:10 PM
    That was on the S9. My Note is set to like 45% n brightness.
    still seems high to me, but I guess if it gets burn in you could trade it out again. I do everything in my power to prevent that, but that's just me. I don't know what settings it starts on when you get burn in, but I keep mine pretty low for most cases. if the video app or something like that brightens it, then I still lower it a bit. I go out of my way, via apps, to keep things that cause burn in from happening.

I've read some apps can help burn in but don't know if they work.
    09-20-2019 06:15 PM
    still seems high to me, but I guess if it gets burn in you could trade it out again. I do everything in my power to prevent that, but that's just me. I don't know what settings it starts on when you get burn in, but I keep mine pretty low for most cases. if the video app or something like that brightens it, then I still lower it a bit. I go out of my way, via apps, to keep things that cause burn in from happening.

I've read some apps can help burn in but don't know if they work.
    My question is by keeping the brightness lower, and using night mode + dark mode in apps, will it help when I binge watch videos or use FB messenger for hours?
    09-20-2019 06:17 PM
    My question is by keeping the brightness lower, and using night mode + dark mode in apps, will it help when I binge watch videos or use FB messenger for hours?
    I have my s8+,s9+,s10+Note 9/Note 10+
    Never had burn in . Always set my brightness to automatic.
    09-20-2019 06:22 PM
    I have my s8+,s9+,s10+Note 9/Note 10+
    Never had burn in . Always set my brightness to automatic.
    I have being so paranoid. I never had burn in until this neither. I guess since I've taken a lot pf precautions. I shouldn't be afraid to stream away?
    09-20-2019 06:26 PM
    I have being so paranoid. I never had burn in until this neither. I guess since I've taken a lot pf precautions. I shouldn't be afraid to stream away?
    Understandable, usually leaving things default should be ok .
    09-20-2019 06:27 PM
    I shouldn't be afraid to stream away?
    It's not likely you'll get burn in while watching movies/videos. Burn in is generally caused by stationary objects on the screen in conjunction with high brightness settings. For example, I currently have burn in on my Note 8 from using it for navigation. I use Google Maps quite extensively and the auto brightness tends to jack up the brightness to 100% on sunny days. I've noticed some burn in primarily of the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen along with the search button in the top right corner. I've tried to be very conscious of the brightness since I noticed it and try to alternate using Waze as well. Just watch out for stationary things, like keyboards and such.
    09-20-2019 06:40 PM
    I see you are a new user here - welcome to Android Central!

I too worry about screen burn-in on my devices - but I set my screen brightness to Automatic and just leave it; only adjusting the brightness in rare circumstances.

Try not to worry too much about this - it will be okay! Do you have any kind of warranty or phone insurance? How are you liking your new Note 10?
    09-20-2019 07:54 PM
    On my old Note 3 phone, I seem to recall the microphone icon had a burn in on the screen.
    09-20-2019 08:31 PM
    I am new. When watching Youtube, I watch landscape mode. I set up the 30 second time out so the keyboard will not stay on the screen that long when I use Facebook messenger. I also lee ave Night Mode.
    09-20-2019 09:12 PM
    If you have the insurance. Burn-in is covered. No charge to change the digitizer from Asurion at Sprint.
    I will put the screen on whatever I need to to be on. When and if burn in shows up they will repair.

My note 9 had it twice and it never was an issue to replace digitizer for free, both times.
    Asurion was the only thing I appreciated that Sprint had to offer and thank the Lord I always had it and always will.
    29.00 cracked screen repairs. You can't go wrong.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    09-20-2019 10:03 PM
    At just under a year old, I got some faint burn in on my Note 8 on the top notification bar and bottom nav bar - you could only see it in full screen mode with pure black screen.

Took it to the Samsung 837 store, they swapped the whole screen, battery, button, radio and wifi antennas and headphone jack. Done in under an hour, under warranty.

Just traded it in for the 10+, it looked brand new.
    09-20-2019 10:04 PM
    I've never gotten burn on my S8+, Note 8, nor My Note 10+.

I set mine to auto brightness. My AOD is set to only display during set hours at night. Outside those hours the screen is off when not in use.

As a 3rd shift guard it probably isn't that bright, so setting your brightness to 70-75% is overkill. Besides, it doesn't help your night vision keeping your phone that bright.
    09-20-2019 10:15 PM
    That was the S9. I keep the Note 10 at 40%, which is sufficient. Is keeping Night Mode on all the time a good idea?
    09-20-2019 10:37 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it unless you keep it at 90% brightness sitting on the same static screen for long periods.
    09-21-2019 12:41 AM
    The only time I got burn-in was with my Note8 after a year of long car drives using Google Maps for navigation with the phone mounted on the windshield in bright sun. The banner and other static parts of the display left an after-image, but it was so faint I didn't even notice until I was preparing the phone for sale on Swappa when the Note9 came out. (I acknowledged the burn-in in my ad, and the phone sold for a good price anyway.)

Since then, I've turned off the display when it's not needed during long straight stretches of navigation, and I haven't had any further problem.
    09-21-2019 06:53 AM
    Besides, it doesn't help your night vision keeping your phone that bright.
    that was the first thing I thought
    09-21-2019 09:32 AM
    Dark mode will allow things like your contacts burn in - if you leave the contacts on the screen, but dark mode has nothing to do with videos - they show what they show. But as long as what's on the screen keeps changing, you don't have to worry about burn-in. It's caused by the same thing appearing on the screen for a long time.
    09-22-2019 01:53 PM
    So basically dark mode ot standard are fine as ling as a still image doesn't stay on the screen for too long?
    09-22-2019 05:57 PM
    If you have the insurance. Burn-in is covered. No charge to change the digitizer from Asurion at Sprint.
    I will put the screen in whatever I need to to be on. When and if burn in shows up they will repair.

My note 9 had it twice and it never was an issue to replace digitizer for free, both times.
    Asurion was the only thing I appreciated that Sprint had to offer and thank the Lord I always had it and always will.
    29.00 cracked screen repairs. You can't go wrong.
    Not all insurance will replace the digitizer without a huge deductible.
    09-22-2019 06:09 PM
    Sprint is my carrier. I opted into the Complete insurance.
    09-22-2019 06:18 PM
    Not all insurance will replace the digitizer without a huge deductible.
    Samsung replaced it under warranty (just shy of 1 year) along with the other items I mentioned above, no charge.
    09-22-2019 06:31 PM
    If that's the case, I am covered by Sprint and Samsung.
    09-22-2019 06:38 PM
41 12