Charging overnight?

Shaif

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 10 plus and I am wondering if I leave it plugged in overnight could do any harm. Because of the fast charging the note is maximum charing for a hour.

If I wake up in the middle of the night I unplug the Note, but I don't always wake up in the middle of the night.

How do you charge the Note?

Thanks for the replies.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a Note 10 plus and I am wondering if I leave it plugged in overnight could do any harm. Because of the fast charging the note is maximum charing for a hour.

If I wake up in the middle of the night I unplug the Note, but I don't always wake up in the middle of the night.

How do you charge the Note?

Thanks for the replies.
Why charge overnight? Phone charges from zero to 100 in one hour. When you wake up, put it on the charger. By the time you get done ready for the day, you have full charge.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I want to start the day with a full charge. It goes on an Anker USB charging station before I go to bed. There I can charge it slowly though it finishes well before sunrise. I don't think this does anything bad to battery health....my last phone, the Max, had 96% battery health after almost a year using this same process.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Why charge overnight? Phone charges from zero to 100 in one hour. When you wake up, put it on the charger. By the time you get done ready for the day, you have full charge.
Except that some people are ready in much less than an hour. Or they need to carry their phone around and use it while they're getting ready. Why not charge it while you're asleep and not using it?

icnmayhem

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I am far too lazy to stress about battery health. it inhibits my enjoyment of the phone. I charge it overnight, like most other people.

linkiik121

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
note 9 charged everyday overnight since day one for about a year and still has better battery life thn the note 10. didnt have any change in battery.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Except that some people are ready in much less than an hour. Or they need to carry their phone around and use it while they're getting ready. Why not charge it while you're asleep and not using it?
An hour from a ZERO. I guess people can't survive 30 to 40 minutes without looking at their phones?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
An hour from a ZERO. I guess people can't survive 30 to 40 minutes without looking at their phones?
It has nothing to do with being unable to survive. Some people's phone-use needs differ from yours. We have phones for our convenience. Why inconvenience ourselves to benefit our phones, especially when there is likely to be no actual benefit?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Prolonged dwelling at a high charge state (I.e. Above ~75%) can impact overall battery health, so I don't recommend it.

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Now if we still had removable batteries, this would be almost a non-issue. When you're looking at extended down time and a big cost to replace a sealed battery, you should at least know how to care for them the best way you can. How you choose to use that info is up to you.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Prolonged dwelling at a high charge state (I.e. Above ~75%) can impact overall battery health, so I don't recommend it.
Any use of your phone can impact overall battery health. Should we recommend keeping them powered off 90% of the time?

Why buy an expensive phone if we're going to become its servant, rather than having it serve us?

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
mine is on a wireless pad during the night. I stream audio books before sleeping and whenever I wake up. this prevents battery drain while I sleep.

I have AutomateIt Pro setup to dim my screen to 5% when placed on a charger and then invoke lock screen (no lock) so I can immediately tell if it is placed properly to charge. works really well like this.

no heat or issues from the Anker pad so far. it's my first Anker charging product so I'm a bit wary. this model doesn't have a huge bright light or cause an echo while listening. I grabbed an extra one for the car.

tried Samsung's last year model and it had a huge blue light and caused an echo. it's on its way back today.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any use of your phone can impact overall battery health. Should we recommend keeping them powered off 90% of the time?

Why buy an expensive phone if we're going to become its servant, rather than having it serve us?

Even letting it sit on the shelf and not connected to anything they will eventually die. So using what I'm assuming is your sarcastic logic, why have battery powered phones at all?

Yes, batteries will degrade. How you treat them will affect how quickly it does so.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I would rather pay for a battery replacement when/if time comes than going totally anal on charging habits for the sake of a few %
batteries are a consumable whether they are built in or not

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Even letting it sit on the shelf and not connected to anything they will eventually die. So using what I'm assuming is your sarcastic logic, why have battery powered phones at all?
Not sarcastic at all. I honestly fail to see why convenient charging practices should be singled out as a recommended thing to sacrifice for battery conservation, rather than any of the other battery-draining (hence battery-cycling) attractions we could choose to sacrifice for the same cause (such as high-res video streaming, games, etc). Certainly the phone-care instructions in Samsung's user manual make no such recommendation about charging practices.

The only charging practice I adopt for battery preservation is to use a slow-charging pad for overnight charging. I wouldn't gain any convenience from fast charging overnight, and slow pads are less expensive anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar