AOD not turning off when phone is in my pocket

trav2448

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed today that the Always on Display is not turning off when the phone is in my pocket. Is anyone else noticing this? My Note 9 used to do this

LuckiestLiz

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I just noticed today that the Always on Display is not turning off when the phone is in my pocket. Is anyone else noticing this? My Note 9 used to do this

Check settings, display, and the "accidental touch protection" - do you have it enabled? I don't recall if it was on or off by default.

Edit - I apologize, scanned quick and missed the AOD somehow? Not sure if that applies... I know I keep my AOD set to tap to display, and then I always have that setting enabled and haven't had any issues.

trav2448

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
AOD takes a second to come back on once you remove from your pocket or it did on my note 9. Also you used to be able to put your phone face down and it turn aod off but it doesn't do that either. Anyway I found some threads in the s10 forum from back in March with people having the exact same issue but there was no conclusion reached on any of those. So I contacted Samsung support and apparently this is not a feature in the newer phones. I'm assuming they are meaning the S10 and Note 10 models

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Do you have smart lock enabled? I use smart lock and I've pulled my phone out of my pocket and it is unlocked and the display turned on. Sometimes with an app open.

I don't have AOD turned on during the day. It just turns off the display when it times out after a minute.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
AOD takes a second to come back on once you remove from your pocket or it did on my note 9. Also you used to be able to put your phone face down and it turn aod off but it doesn't do that either. Anyway I found some threads in the s10 forum from back in March with people having the exact same issue but there was no conclusion reached on any of those. So I contacted Samsung support and apparently this is not a feature in the newer phones. I'm assuming they are meaning the S10 and Note 10 models
This is not true. My Note 10+ AOD turns off when the phone is face down and when it is in my pocket. Well it used to and now seeing your thread I noticed it doesn't do that any more. I think it probably stopped after the September security update!!!

Anyone else can check and report back? This sucks because AOD should not be on consuming power if the phone is in my pocket.

Last edited:

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I think it probably stopped after the September security update[.]

Anyone else can check and report back? This sucks because AOD should not be on consuming power if the phone is in my pocket.
Which firmware do you have? (There are multiple firmwares out there with the September security update.)

I have the N975U1 ASHE firmware, and I just confirmed that my AOD does turn off after a minute or so in my pocket. It takes a second or so to turn back on after I pull out the phone.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Which firmware do you have? (There are multiple firmwares out there with the September security update.)

I have the N975U1 ASHE firmware, and I just confirmed that my AOD does turn off after a minute or so in my pocket. It takes a second or so to turn back on after I pull out the phone.
Thanks for confirming, mine definitely stopped recently. Probably after the September security patch. I am sure it was working before.

SmartSelect_20190926-103609_Settings.jpeg

trav2448

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I never thought to check if mine turned off before the September security patch I just assumed it did since my previous phones(Note 8, Note 9) always did. From what I'm reading here it most likely did until the Sept. security patch. I got the Sept. security patch on the 20th and my firmware is N976VVRU1ASHB.

xmsxphantasyx

Sep 26, 2019
Visit site
This is not true. My Note 10+ AOD turns off when the phone is face down and when it is in my pocket. Well it used to and now seeing your thread I noticed it doesn't do that any more. I think it probably stopped after the September security update!!!

I'm having this issue as well. I have the Note10+ T-Mobile with the September update. When I first got my phone before the September update, my phone's AOD used to turn off when I close my flip case. I checked this when I first got my phone because I was reading forums and people were saying it didn't work. Then after the September update, I noticed that the AOD will not turn off anymore when I close my flip case or even face down. Now it will just dim when the case is closed but never turn off.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I take it back: on closer inspection, my AOD does seem to be on when I pull the phone from my pocket. It's so faint that I didn't notice it before. I'm inclined not to worry about it because the faint intensity uses so little power. But I agree it would make more sense if it shut off completely.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I take it back: on closer inspection, my AOD does seem to be on when I pull the phone from my pocket. It's so faint that I didn't notice it before. I'm inclined not to worry about it because the faint intensity uses so little power. But I agree it would make more sense if it shut off completely.
Ya. But do you think yours started after September security patch?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I just noticed that it seems AOD was updated on 09/19/2019. I would imagine it broke then rather than security patching.

trav2448

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I saw that to so I uninstalled updates for AOD and it didn't help.My current version of AOD is 4.3.28.4 and when I uninstalled the updates it was 4.3.28.2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams