How to sync Samsung Gallery with Google Photos

DrNitun

Sep 12, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I use Google Photos app on my Note 10+ as my default photo app. I have an issue when I want to update a contacts photo. By default, Samsung's Gallery app is the app that shows up when I want to select a new pic within the contacts app.

My Samsung Gallery app doesn't have all the photos that Google Photos app has. I don't mind using the Samsung Gallery app to select a contact photo IF it has the same photos and albums as Google Photos has.

How can I get both apps to sync?

Thanks,
Nate

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I use Google Photos app on my Note 10+ as my default photo app. I have an issue when I want to update a contacts photo. By default, Samsung's Gallery app is the app that shows up when I want to select a new pic within the contacts app.

My Samsung Gallery app doesn't have all the photos that Google Photos app has. I don't mind using the Samsung Gallery app to select a contact photo IF it has the same photos and albums as Google Photos has.

How can I get both apps to sync?

Thanks,
Nate
Hi , you can sync your photos from gallery by going inside your gallery and tap 3 fits upper right corner and sync with Samsung cloud .

If you go to settings>then apps tap it> go 3 dot upper right corner tap> scroll to default apps

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi , you can sync your photos from gallery by going inside your gallery and tap 3 fits upper right corner and sync with Samsung cloud .

If you go to settings>then apps tap it> go 3 dot upper right corner tap> scroll to default apps
The problem is that's not Google Photos. Also, not everybody can sync to Samsung Cloud. I'm Verizon which blocks Samsung Cloud.

In a nutshell, Samsung Gallery won't sync with Google Cloud or any other cloud storage other than Samsung Cloud. If you're Verizon you can't even do that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try going to Settings>Apps, select the Samsung Gallery app, then Defaults, and clear its defaults. Now when you want to select a contact photo, see if it gives you a choice of which gallery app to use.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The problem is that's not Google Photos. Also, not everybody can sync to Samsung Cloud. I'm Verizon which blocks Samsung Cloud.

In a nutshell, Samsung Gallery won't sync with Google Cloud or any other cloud storage other than Samsung Cloud. If you're Verizon you can't even do that.
I'm on Verizon and it's there for me.
Go into Settings-Accounts and select your Samsung account (I assume you have one). Then select Services. Look for Samsung Cloud. You can select it and adjust your settings, and you can also toggle Show Icon to have the Samsung Cloud app on your Home screen.

I have Gallery Sync off, but it turned on just fine when I tried it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Go into Settings-Accounts and select your Samsung account (I assume you have one). Then select Services. Look for Samsung Cloud. You can select it and adjust your settings, and you can also toggle Show Icon to have the Samsung Cloud app on your Home screen.

Thanks for clarifying that 2

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I like to wait for OP to answer , because I can go through few different steps for them .

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Just download the photo you want to use to your device and it'll show up in the Gallery. There's no two way sync between the Gallery and Google Photos.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for clarifying that 2
To be clear, the OP did specify backing up Gallery directly to Google Photos. Which you can't do. You must use the Google Photo app.

Personally I don't like the changes Google made. I liked being able to access my photos via Google Drive.

Thanks. Verizon used to not allow backing up to Samsung.

I personally use OneDrive though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To be clear, the OP did specify backing up Gallery directly to Google Photos. Which you can't do. You must use the Google Photo app.

Personally I don't like the changes Google made. I liked being able to access my photos via Google Drive. Thanks. Verizon used to not allow backing up to Samsung.

I personally use OneDrive though.
I know Verizon models do things little differently, but my gallery syncs to google photos.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site

Yes you can backup your Gallery directly to Google Photos. I do it all the time. But yes you do need to use the Google Photos app to set it up and choose which folders you want to sync and if you want to backup Original Quality or High Quality.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Photos to sync all my devices so all my pictures are in one place. I also use it to manage my photos so if I delete a photo from Google photos it'll also delete it from the device Gallery to help keep things clean

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes you can backup your Gallery directly to Google Photos. I do it all the time. But yes you do need to use the Google Photos app to set it up and choose which folders you want to sync and if you want to backup Original Quality or High Quality.
Which is what I said. You're not actually using Gallery to back up to Google Photos. It's Google Photos is doing it for you. Gallery is the app you're using to access your photos.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Which is what I said. You're not actually using Gallery to back up to Google Photos. It's Google Photos is doing it for you. Gallery is the app you're using to access your photos.
Gallery can get back up to SD card,Google photos or SAMSUNG cloud

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Gallery can get back up to SD card,Google photos or SAMSUNG cloud
To SD Card - that is a default save choice you setup in the camera (different app) , not a backup location. If you set the camera to save to internal storage Gallery won't automatically copy it to the SD card.

To Samsung Cloud - check (clarified previously)

To Google Photos - How, without configuring Google Photos to do it in the background? Which was my original point. Gallery won't backup to Google Photos itself. It is Google Photos doing it in the background AFTER you configure it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
To SD Card - that is a default save choice you setup in the camera (different app) , not a backup location. If you set the camera to save to internal storage Gallery won't automatically copy it to the SD card.

To Samsung Cloud - check (clarified previously)

To Google Photos - How, without configuring Google Photos to do it in the background? Which was my original point. Gallery won't backup to Google Photos itself. It is Google Photos doing it in the background AFTER you configure it.
I dont know why you are having a difficult time understanding?

If you choose to default your gallery to sd card it will.

If you choose to back up to the Samsung cloud you can .

If you choose google photos back up you can do this also ..

What is it that you dont understand?

How long you had Samsung devices ?
You can have any of those options used .

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
If you choose to default your gallery to sd card it will.

Show me.

No where in the Gallery app does it allow me to back up to the SD Card. In the CAMERA app, it allows me to SAVE to the SD card. Big difference. Also, if you use Pro mode in camera, the photos are SAVED to internal memory. Gallery will NOT automatically back them up to the SD card.

If you choose to back up to the Samsung cloud you can .

We established that already.

If you choose google photos back up you can do this also ..

Turn off sync in Google Photos and see what happens. Gallery WON'T back up to Google Photos.

We are talking about THREE distinct apps, you are conflating them all into one. Why do you not understand that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP's main issue actually isn't about syncing the Samsung Gallery with the Google Photos gallery. I suspect the problem is that they want to attach a photo that is no longer saved on internal storage, but rather in the Google Photos cloud. The Contacts app probably requires that the photo be saved locally, and so the best solution may be to download that photo from the Google Photos cloud, then try to select that photo for the contact.