I had this widget on my Note 4 (just got my 10+ 2 days ago) and really liked it. Was planning to get a 10+ anyway then my old Note 4 died in July (won't boot) & I bought a mint one CL to hold me over so I never did the transfer of data/apps (& now read that apps sometimes don't transfer well anyway so...). I couldn't remember the name of this at first and searched the Play Store and couldn't find it or anything else that looked like it - Yes, I know I'm being super particular, but... Finally did remember the name and just searched/found it online. Looks like last update was 2015 and when I go to download it I get the notice shown at the bottom of the screen so before I screw something up figured I'd better ask - Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails App install message: "This type of file can harm your device"-screenshot_20191002-044459_chrome.jpg  
    10-02-2019 04:00 AM
    You will get this warning every time you will try to sideload or download an apk file from any other site than Google Play Store. I do not know if this site is safe, but if you can find the app you are looking for on apkmirror site it would be better, I think. I always use apkmirror and never had a problem.
    10-02-2019 04:53 AM
    I had this widget on my Note 4 (just got my 10+ 2 days ago) and really liked it. Was planning to get a 10+ anyway then my old Note 4 died in July (won't boot) & I bought a mint one CL to hold me over so I never did the transfer of data/apps (& now read that apps sometimes don't transfer well anyway so...). I couldn't remember the name of this at first and searched the Play Store and couldn't find it or anything else that looked like it - Yes, I know I'm being super particular, but... Finally did remember the name and just searched/found it online. Looks like last update was 2015 and when I go to download it I get the notice shown at the bottom of the screen so before I screw something up figured I'd better ask - Thanks.
    Downloading apps by sideloading is asking for trouble. Even the playstore gets garbage past security too often. But,it’s your phone......
    10-02-2019 06:21 AM
    Lots of popular apps and widgets are infected with malware. If it's not vetted through the Google Play Store or any other reliable gatekeeper, then there's no way of knowing. (Even Play Store vetting isn't perfect, but it helps.)
    10-02-2019 07:20 AM
    apkpure is a pretty safe site. (Pretty safe - they can't vet every file.) My normal way of handling something like this is to make a full backup (I always have TWRP installed on my phones), then install the apk. If it causes problems that I can't fix by uninstalling it, I do a factory reset and restore the backup. (It takes a few minutes more, but this way, I'm sure.)

But I've installed apps from them and I haven't had any problems.
    10-02-2019 12:53 PM
    TWRP
    I miss twrp
    10-02-2019 01:30 PM
    apkpure is a pretty safe site. (Pretty safe - they can't vet every file.) My normal way of handling something like this is to make a full backup (I always have TWRP installed on my phones), then install the apk. If it causes problems that I can't fix by uninstalling it, I do a factory reset and restore the backup. (It takes a few minutes more, but this way, I'm sure.)

But I've installed apps from them and I haven't had any problems.
    Thanks! Good approach. I also saw where the file could be uploaded to check for viruses or other malware. What's the difference between using TWRP or something similar if there is and just backing everything up to my Google account or iCloud, or something like that?

A lot to go through for a clock/weather widget just so my home screen looks like I want, but I'm learning a lot in the process not a total waste (e.g. I didn't even understand what apkpure was when I started).
    10-02-2019 05:09 PM
    What's the difference between using TWRP or something similar if there is and just backing everything up to my Google account or iCloud, or something like that?
    Backing up to a cloud, unless you manually back up everything (including pulling apk files for all the apps that don't come with the phone and backing them up, and rooting to get the data files of some apps that don't give you a backup file you can get to) is a lot more work than just installing TWRP, running Tipatch on it, then doing a data backup any time you might have a problem.

A lot to go through for a clock/weather widget just so my home screen looks like I want, but I'm learning a lot in the process not a total waste (e.g. I didn't even understand what apkpure was when I started).
    Not a lot to go through to learn how your phone works, and to learn how to keep it safe. Next time you need an app, you'll know what to do.
    daninbluemd likes this.
    10-05-2019 01:57 PM
    Backing up to a cloud, unless you manually back up everything (including pulling apk files for all the apps that don't come with the phone and backing them up, and rooting to get the data files of some apps that don't give you a backup file you can get to) is a lot more work than just installing TWRP, running Tipatch on it, then doing a data backup any time you might have a problem.

Not a lot to go through to learn how your phone works, and to learn how to keep it safe. Next time you need an app, you'll know what to do.
    Thank you for the explanation and yes, I figured as long as I'm learning than it's fine plus there's a certain look I want. I did install it and I guess because it hasn't been updated, it didn't look how I wanted anyway so deleted. Still looking for the the right clock/weather widgit with the look & functionality but a week into my 10+ and the more I get used to it and figure out how to best set it up for how I work the more I'm loving it. Big change from the GN4 it replaced. Will be posting more as things come up that I cannot figure out.
    10-05-2019 11:36 PM