N8 owner on the fence getting N10+

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The N10+ is a great phone but so is the N9. I had issues with my N8 so I think that both N9 &10 are worthy upgrades. My main reason for getting the 10+ after the 9 was the huge trade-in deal plus $200 credit. I wasn't going to turn that down.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded from the Note 8.
To me the 10+ us not a huge upgrade, but I knew that before I bought it.

I do not have to have the latest tech toy, but my Note 8 had a dead spot that seemed to be getting larger, and it was chipped at the top of the screen.

The battery on the 10+ is better for sure, and I really like the wide angle camera. The pics when zoomed in were better on the Note 8. On the 10+ they look fake.

The faster storage is nice too.
The best thing for me is that size wise the 10+ feels much more like my note 2, which was big.

The only hesitation I had prior to buying the 10+ was the hole punch camera, but I hardly even notice it.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the note8 to the 10+. The battery was horrid for being such a big battery, the speakers sound horrible and the phone vibrates like a rattle can when u watch something. To access the phone requires too much, 3 actions minimum. Performance was laggy and not anywhere near as smooth as my note 8.

It’s honestly not that great of an upgrade even if it was better then the note 8.

The iPhone XS series and the 11 series is just soooo much better. Yet I’m sitting here thinking I want to try a 10+ again. Wtf?

Was I doing something wrong or what? ????

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I went from the Max to the Note 10 and enjoy this phone much more. Battery can be a tricky thing with Android. Some people never have an issue while others have to do some work to discover the reason for battery drain. Battery life is at least as good as the Max for me. The screen much better..... The Max is not uniform in tone and suffers from off axis color shifting. The MacRumors forum has hundreds of posts on screen problems. I don't think it takes extra steps to do anything. The iPhone to me gets boring quick because it's essentially just an app launcher with no customization. Anyway just enjoy what works best for you there is no right or wrong choice.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the note8 to the 10+. The battery was horrid for being such a big battery, the speakers sound horrible and the phone vibrates like a rattle can when u watch something. To access the phone requires too much, 3 actions minimum. Performance was laggy and not anywhere near as smooth as my note 8.

It’s honestly not that great of an upgrade even if it was better then the note 8.

The iPhone XS series and the 11 series is just soooo much better. Yet I’m sitting here thinking I want to try a 10+ again. Wtf?

Was I doing something wrong or what? ????
I don't know that you were doing anything wrong, but I would definitely say your experience is far from any experience I've had or heard about. I don't have a single one of those issues. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the in screen fingerprint scanner. It isn't anywhere near as quick and consistent as Face ID on the iPhone. That's really my only complaint. I'd like Samsung to do away with the curved display on the Note series, but I have gotten used to it. It's just not the best solution for a device you use the S-Pen on.

I've also been using the iPhone 11 Pro for a couple weeks on and off and have used the Max version a little too. Both are fantastic devices. It comes down to iOS vs Android as usual. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, I don't know why you wouldn't get the iPhone. If not, then it is just a matter of preference between the two. I can make either work with my daily flow if I need to.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know that you were doing anything wrong, but I would definitely say your experience is far from any experience I've had or heard about. I don't have a single one of those issues. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the in screen fingerprint scanner. It isn't anywhere near as quick and consistent as Face ID on the iPhone. That's really my only complaint. I'd like Samsung to do away with the curved display on the Note series, but I have gotten used to it. It's just not the best solution for a device you use the S-Pen on.

I've also been using the iPhone 11 Pro for a couple weeks on and off and have used the Max version a little too. Both are fantastic devices. It comes down to iOS vs Android as usual. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, I don't know why you wouldn't get the iPhone. If not, then it is just a matter of preference between the two. I can make either work with my daily flow if I need to.

The phone vibrating when using the speakers seems to be a popular issue but I don’t think it bothers some/most. It just makes the phone feel so cheap. The speakers being unbalanced could be fixed but I doubt it would even be useful then. I don’t see how you can make the sound come out from the top speaker any louder due to the hairline crack.

The thing is I really want to like the phone. I may even give it another try because maybe mine was a dud. But this would be the 4th time switching. How many times can I switch before Verizon gives me the boot.

7h3d34f0n3

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
Was looking to get some input from those of you who went from a Note 8/9 to Note 10+.

You all feel it was worth upgrading, especially after some of you have had your 10+ for a month or longer or have any remorse ?

I do not have any remorse. It was well worth the upgrade (memory, screen ratio, camera(s), quicker charge times, CPU, DEX....) the list goes on.

Not crazy about the jack removal. I've got a decent collection of high end earbuds that would be a letdown not using on 10+. I think I'd be ok though, times are changing and I could keep my N8 for exercise or travel so I could use my favorite earbuds. Times are changing eventually I'll get a great USB set of buds.

I thought I was going to dislike not having a headphone jack, but with my Galaxy Buds I am over the removal of the headphone jack. If the Galaxy Buds are this good now I can not imagine how much better they will get in the future.

I think my main reason for hesitation is if there will be an amazing overhaul for Note 11. I've read some articles mentioning leaks from trustworthy sources that the next camera on the S and Note series will be significantly better than what N10 has. Also could be a true bezleless display or something daring like a wrap around screen that a few companies are working on. Although I've also read Samsung tends to go a couple years/cycles before drastically improving a model, so next years note might not be a big upgrade on a 10+.

As for holding out for the next generation that is a matter of personal preference. One of the things I am curious about is what the price point will be on the Note 11. Worst case the Note 10/10+ would be at a better price when the Note 11 is released. So waiting to see what features the next generation will have vs. the price. I know I will not be shopping for a new device for at least 3~4 years. Especially if the prices keep climbing above $1000.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The phone vibrating when using the speakers seems to be a popular issue but I don’t think it bothers some/most. It just makes the phone feel so cheap. The speakers being unbalanced could be fixed but I doubt it would even be useful then. I don’t see how you can make the sound come out from the top speaker any louder due to the hairline crack.

The thing is I really want to like the phone. I may even give it another try because maybe mine was a dud. But this would be the 4th time switching. How many times can I switch before Verizon gives me the boot.
Gotcha. Yeah, I don't use the phone speakers much so that's probably why I don't notice.

If you're happy with another device and it does what you need, I'd just stick with it. Despite what many people say, you can do most things that most of us need on any number of devices.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Gotcha. Yeah, I don't use the phone speakers much so that's probably why I don't notice.

If you're happy with another device and it does what you need, I'd just stick with it. Despite what many people say, you can do most things that most of us need on any number of devices.

Oh for sure any device will work for me and i truly love using both. It just makes it that much more frustrating for me. I enjoyed my note 8 and the only downside with the iPhone is I can’t use apps like cell mapper or signal check. I’m a nerd and it’s slightly harder to nerd out on a iPhone but the iPhone battery and performance is unbelievable.

MrPibb01

Sep 18, 2017
Visit site
I also upgraded from the N8 to the N10+. While the N8 was adequate, the battery life was terrible. I regularly had to charge twice a day. I now can easily make it to the end of the day with the N10+. In addition, the included 25w charger is very quick.

I was also concerned with the lack of a headphone jack, so I purchased a Google USB-C to 3.5mm adapter at my local Target for $6.99. I think I have used it once in the last few weeks. (To be fair, I love my Galaxy Buds and use them more often.)

isired

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Out of curiosity where did you trade in your N8 at ?

From what I've seen looks like Best Buy would give me the most trade in value, more than Samsung and more than Verizon which seemed to give me the least amount for trading my N8 in.
I went from the Note 8 to 10+, no regrets. Didnt do Note 9 because Inliked the 8 and it seemed more or less the same...

I traded in to Verizon, got $450 back (way more than I could have gotten anywhere else or by selling it), plus got $150 credits from Samsung (though that may have been for pre-order only).

I used wired buds mostly, but have several wireless buds, on ear and over ear so I wasn't worried about that. You can get a USB-C dongle though. I used the credit for a pair of the new Samsung Buds, but they're sub-par - if you are using high-end wired buds, stay away from them. The Icon X sound much better, as do many others.