N10 questions from new Galaxy customerH

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Galaxy Tab S4 last year, which lead to me buying a Note 10 last month. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 and have questions that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm only posting a couple now, but will add a few later.

First, privacy of Samsung account–
I created an account when I bought the tablet but i stopped in my tracks when it wanted to access all of my personal information. –I never used it and never synced anything to it.

Tonight, having forgotten my password, I reset it so that I could subscribe to Premium Care via the Members app. Once again I was stopped in my tracks. –Rather than just allowing me to sign in, it: "Need permission to access your Contacts to see if you are already signed in to your account." –WTF??

Now I'm regretting my purchase of this phone. Why in the world does it need access to my contacts in order to determine if I'm signed in on the phone?? I know that I'm not signed in on the phone, but the only option that I have on this screen is to "Allow Access." I could have signed in via Google, but I'd rather not give all of that info to Samsung as well.

Second, my Pixel 2 allowed me to set up "Trusted Devices" and places so that the device keeps the screen unlocked when connected to designated Bluetooth devises, or when I'm at a particular location. I've looked for something similar on the N10 but can't find it. I would much prefer to be able to select a WiFi network, i.e. when I'm on my home network I'd like to keep the phone unlocked.

Is there a way to do this? I'm assuming that, if there's no other way, I could create a Bixby routine, but I'm also assuming that to do that (based on the above issue), Samsung will require access to Contacts, the drive, call history, and my firstborn child, so I'm afraid of going down this route as well.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone that can help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disk4mat

Oct 5, 2017
Visit site
On the Trusted Devices, Ive only found one way to get there. Settings > Lock Screen > Smart Lock (pin entry required). From there I have Trusted places, trusted devices, voice match etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
T
I bought a Galaxy Tab S4 last year, which lead to me buying a Note 10 last month. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 and have questions that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm only posting a couple now, but will add a few later.

First, privacy of Samsung account–
I created an account when I bought the tablet but i stopped in my tracks when it wanted to access all of my personal information. –I never used it and never synced anything to it.

Tonight, having forgotten my password, I reset it so that I could subscribe to Premium Care via the Members app. Once again I was stopped in my tracks. –Rather than just allowing me to sign in, it: "Need permission to access your Contacts to see if you are already signed in to your account." –WTF??

Now I'm regretting my purchase of this phone. Why in the world does it need access to my contacts in order to determine if I'm signed in on the phone?? I know that I'm not signed in on the phone, but the only option that I have on this screen is to "Allow Access." I could have signed in via Google, but I'd rather not give all of that info to Samsung as well.

Second, my Pixel 2 allowed me to set up "Trusted Devices" and places so that the device keeps the screen unlocked when connected to designated Bluetooth devises, or when I'm at a particular location. I've looked for something similar on the N10 but can't find it. I would much prefer to be able to select a WiFi network, i.e. when I'm on my home network I'd like to keep the phone unlocked.

Is there a way to do this? I'm assuming that, if there's no other way, I could create a Bixby routine, but I'm also assuming that to do that (based on the above issue), Samsung will require access to Contacts, the drive, call history, and my firstborn child, so I'm afraid of going down this route as well.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone that can help.
I wouldn't worry too much about these premission , Ive had Samsung phones for very long time and not once did I ever experience any problems whith these premission are enabled.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
On the Trusted Devices, Ive only found one way to get there. Settings > Lock Screen > Smart Lock (pin entry required). From there I have Trusted places, trusted devices, voice match etc.
Oh, thanks!! I've looked for it before and couldn't find it, so I assumed that maybe it was just a Google Pixel thing.

Do you know if there's a way to set up my network, either via Bixby, or another way?

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
TI wouldn't worry too much about these premission , Ive had Samsung phones for very long time and not once did I ever experience any problems whith these premission are enabled.
Him, I'll take that under advisement. I just don't understand why my entire contacts database is required for me to log in. Admittedly, I'm a little paranoid about security, but this just doesn't make any sense to me.

So you know if there's anywhere else that I can in globally, that doesn't require me to hand over my data?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Him, I'll take that under advisement. I just don't understand why my entire contacts database is required for me to log in. Admittedly, I'm a little paranoid about security, but this just doesn't make any sense to me.

So you know if there's anywhere else that I can in globally, that doesn't require me to hand over my data?
I've signed into members app and Samsung cloud and Galaxy play store they never did anything with that information... Samsung takes personal information seriously. If it was 3rd party app then I would worry.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've signed into members app and Samsung cloud and Galaxy play store they never did anything with that information... Samsung takes personal information seriously. If it was 3rd party app then I would worry.
Thanks, but we don't actually know what they do with that data, and there's no logical reason that they need it. --Think Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. I very much appreciate your help, but this request for unneeded data really scares me. I'll give this some thought though.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, but we don't actually know what they do with that data, and there's no logical reason that they need it. --Think Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. I very much appreciate your help, but this request for unneeded data really scares me. I'll give this some thought though.
Your welcome, just Sharing my experience over the years . Lot of things are integrated with Samsung phones like hey Bixby call my sister for example ,they need those permission to know who your sister is .