10-20-2019 03:05 PM
35 12
tools
    I bought a Galaxy Tab S4 last year, which lead to me buying a Note 10 last month. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 and have questions that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm only posting a couple now, but will add a few later.

First, privacy of Samsung account–
    I created an account when I bought the tablet but i stopped in my tracks when it wanted to access all of my personal information. –I never used it and never synced anything to it.

Tonight, having forgotten my password, I reset it so that I could subscribe to Premium Care via the Members app. Once again I was stopped in my tracks. –Rather than just allowing me to sign in, it: "Need permission to access your Contacts to see if you are already signed in to your account." –WTF??

Now I'm regretting my purchase of this phone. Why in the world does it need access to my contacts in order to determine if I'm signed in on the phone?? I know that I'm not signed in on the phone, but the only option that I have on this screen is to "Allow Access." I could have signed in via Google, but I'd rather not give all of that info to Samsung as well.

Second, my Pixel 2 allowed me to set up "Trusted Devices" and places so that the device keeps the screen unlocked when connected to designated Bluetooth devises, or when I'm at a particular location. I've looked for something similar on the N10 but can't find it. I would much prefer to be able to select a WiFi network, i.e. when I'm on my home network I'd like to keep the phone unlocked.

Is there a way to do this? I'm assuming that, if there's no other way, I could create a Bixby routine, but I'm also assuming that to do that (based on the above issue), Samsung will require access to Contacts, the drive, call history, and my firstborn child, so I'm afraid of going down this route as well.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone that can help.
    10-08-2019 09:33 PM
    Why is half of my post crossed out???
    10-08-2019 09:54 PM

it's not crossed out for me
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 09:57 PM
    Probably because of this. I edited the post so it should be fine now.N10 questions from new Galaxy customerH-screenshot_20191008-225605__01.jpeg
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 09:59 PM
    it's not crossed out for me
    Oh that's so weird. Now it's no longer crossed out on my screen either.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    10-08-2019 09:59 PM
    Probably because of this. I edited the post so it should be fine now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191008-225605__01.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	311350
    Oh, that was my literary writing brain that wrote that--correct grammar and all. I forgot that those brackets mean something very different here. Thanks!!
    Javier P likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:01 PM
    Oh that's so weird. Now it's no longer crossed out on my screen either.
    Magic!
    EMGSM and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-08-2019 10:01 PM
    On the Trusted Devices, Ive only found one way to get there. Settings > Lock Screen > Smart Lock (pin entry required). From there I have Trusted places, trusted devices, voice match etc.
    mustang7757 and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-08-2019 10:03 PM
    Magic!
    I like magic
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:03 PM
    Magic!
    Indeed!!
    10-08-2019 10:04 PM
    T
    I bought a Galaxy Tab S4 last year, which lead to me buying a Note 10 last month. I'm coming from a Pixel 2 and have questions that I hope some of you can help me with. I'm only posting a couple now, but will add a few later.

First, privacy of Samsung account–
    I created an account when I bought the tablet but i stopped in my tracks when it wanted to access all of my personal information. –I never used it and never synced anything to it.

Tonight, having forgotten my password, I reset it so that I could subscribe to Premium Care via the Members app. Once again I was stopped in my tracks. –Rather than just allowing me to sign in, it: "Need permission to access your Contacts to see if you are already signed in to your account." –WTF??

Now I'm regretting my purchase of this phone. Why in the world does it need access to my contacts in order to determine if I'm signed in on the phone?? I know that I'm not signed in on the phone, but the only option that I have on this screen is to "Allow Access." I could have signed in via Google, but I'd rather not give all of that info to Samsung as well.

Second, my Pixel 2 allowed me to set up "Trusted Devices" and places so that the device keeps the screen unlocked when connected to designated Bluetooth devises, or when I'm at a particular location. I've looked for something similar on the N10 but can't find it. I would much prefer to be able to select a WiFi network, i.e. when I'm on my home network I'd like to keep the phone unlocked.

Is there a way to do this? I'm assuming that, if there's no other way, I could create a Bixby routine, but I'm also assuming that to do that (based on the above issue), Samsung will require access to Contacts, the drive, call history, and my firstborn child, so I'm afraid of going down this route as well.

I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone that can help.
    I wouldn't worry too much about these premission , Ive had Samsung phones for very long time and not once did I ever experience any problems whith these premission are enabled.
    10-08-2019 10:06 PM
    On the Trusted Devices, Ive only found one way to get there. Settings > Lock Screen > Smart Lock (pin entry required). From there I have Trusted places, trusted devices, voice match etc.
    Oh, thanks!! I've looked for it before and couldn't find it, so I assumed that maybe it was just a Google Pixel thing.

Do you know if there's a way to set up my network, either via Bixby, or another way?
    10-08-2019 10:07 PM
    TI wouldn't worry too much about these premission , Ive had Samsung phones for very long time and not once did I ever experience any problems whith these premission are enabled.
    Him, I'll take that under advisement. I just don't understand why my entire contacts database is required for me to log in. Admittedly, I'm a little paranoid about security, but this just doesn't make any sense to me.

So you know if there's anywhere else that I can in globally, that doesn't require me to hand over my data?
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:10 PM
    Oh, that was my literary writing brain that wrote that--correct grammar and all. I forgot that those brackets mean something very different here. Thanks!!
    Yes, that 's' between brackets was translated as the BBCode for strike through text.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:11 PM
    Yes, that 's' between brackets was translated as the BBCode for strike through text.
    Thanks!! I forgot that. I'll try to check my literary writer brain at the door when posting here . . .
    10-08-2019 10:15 PM
    Him, I'll take that under advisement. I just don't understand why my entire contacts database is required for me to log in. Admittedly, I'm a little paranoid about security, but this just doesn't make any sense to me.

So you know if there's anywhere else that I can in globally, that doesn't require me to hand over my data?
    I've signed into members app and Samsung cloud and Galaxy play store they never did anything with that information... Samsung takes personal information seriously. If it was 3rd party app then I would worry.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:16 PM
    I've signed into members app and Samsung cloud and Galaxy play store they never did anything with that information... Samsung takes personal information seriously. If it was 3rd party app then I would worry.
    Thanks, but we don't actually know what they do with that data, and there's no logical reason that they need it. --Think Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. I very much appreciate your help, but this request for unneeded data really scares me. I'll give this some thought though.
    10-08-2019 10:20 PM
    Thanks, but we don't actually know what they do with that data, and there's no logical reason that they need it. --Think Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. I very much appreciate your help, but this request for unneeded data really scares me. I'll give this some thought though.
    Your welcome, just Sharing my experience over the years . Lot of things are integrated with Samsung phones like hey Bixby call my sister for example ,they need those permission to know who your sister is .
    Javier P and Apple2Droid like this.
    10-08-2019 10:23 PM
    Your welcome, just Sharing my experience over the years . Lot of things are integrated with Samsung phones like hey Bixby call my sister for example ,they need those permission to know who your sister is .
    Ah, ok. I can understand that.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:25 PM
    Ah, ok. I can understand that.
    That's all ...I understand you being worried but it's great you ask these questions.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:27 PM

and this is why I refuse to use bixby voice or google voice. my contacts are no one's business but my own and I routinely prune permissions on all apps. they ask and you grant, but it doesn't mean you can't take them back.
    Apple2Droid and mustang7757 like this.
    10-08-2019 10:28 PM
    and this is why I refuse to use bixby voice or google voice. my contacts are no one's business but my own and I routinely prune permissions on all apps. they ask and you grant, but it doesn't mean you can't take them back.
    Thanks. I feel a little more comfortable knowing that it's not just me. Somehow I think I'm rigging the system bully not going all into any one ecosystem--I do use Amazon Eco/Alexa, Apple MacBook Pro, and of course Android, yet I don't want a Google Home device in my home. I'm sure that this is probably hilarious to some, but it's my way of rebelling against surrendering all of my personal info . . .
    10-08-2019 10:35 PM
    -I do use Amazon Eco/Alexa
    I used to and then their devices started pulling really shady shyte and sharing private conversations etc. it was in the news. I never shared my contacts with them, ever. I unplugged them all and deleted all my data and I'm happier for it.
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    10-08-2019 10:40 PM
    I used to and then their devices started pulling really shady shyte and sharing private conversations etc. it was in the news. I never shared my contacts with them, ever. I unplugged them all and deleted all my data and I'm happier for it.
    OMG!!! You just justified all of my paranoia.

So how did you sign into Galaxy devices if you didn't agree to this??

--On second reading, I see that you're talking about Alexa devices specifically. I don't share any contact or other personal data with Alexa, and only ask her benign questions.

But I'm still wondering about your granting access to Samsung?
    10-08-2019 10:44 PM
    Totally understand
    10-08-2019 10:46 PM
35 12