Longtime Note user bored with 10+. Thinking of making the switch to iPhone

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
If you don't know the functionality of having an app drawer and using widgets to get things done fast, I can't educate you either. There's a reason iPad OS evolving with widgets on screen (files app, reading USB devices are other things apple is forced to implement). Curved screen is for aesthetics more than functionality and I have enough screen to play with my Spen. I love the way phone looks when seeing content or videos. Why do iPhones need a notch (ugly) instead of extending that black bar either ways. You didn't even mention that coz you don't even see it since you like that product.

Regarding quality of apps, I use only the main ones and not substandard apps and the difference between android and iOS is not much different now.

I feel note series is a power user device with Spen, big screen, split screen, DeX, secure folder, battery life and customization. IPhone doesn't even deserve pro in its name with any difference between 11 and previous years. Camera doesn't alone make a device pro and if it the case all the pixels are pros.

I completely agree. Always sick of hearing ‘Samsung cameras are garbage vs Pixels...” argument. Are Pixel photos generally better? Yes. Are Samsung cameras good? Yes. Funny thing is using the above argument to say iPhone cameras are better makes no sense at all.

Good battery life only arrived onto iPhones this year, something Androids have had for years, so idk where that argument is going.

Quality apps? Seriously? Most apps that people use are on both, and google Play has a lot of great apps. Maybe that reasoning would have worked 5 years ago, but not now.

If you think the customisation options on Android are ‘minor’ then you either don’t use/appreciate them (in which fine an iPhone will suit you perfectly) or don’t know about half of them. On Android you can customise pretty much anything you want. IOS? Not so much.

Glass screen protectors? First time I’ve heard of it. You can get glass screen protectors on Androids and iPhones.

Reliability/Longevity/Security wise Androids are almost as good as iPhones. Android security is increasing while iOS exploits are rising but currently iPhones are slightly more secure. I say slightly because most of the so called ‘Android exploits’ you see on the tech media involve apps that few have even heard about. And then there was that iPhone throttling scandal a while back. The difference for the three listed above is negligible.

And when it comes to the curved screen...I actually like it. It’s more or less for a purely aesthetic reason (nice to look at when display content) and if you drop a phone without a case on it it’s probably going to break anyway, so using that as an excuse for potential clumsiness doesn’t work.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I completely agree. Always sick of hearing ‘Samsung cameras are garbage vs Pixels...” argument. Are Pixel photos generally better? Yes. Are Samsung cameras good? Yes. Funny thing is using the above argument to say iPhone cameras are better makes no sense at all.

Good battery life only arrived onto iPhones this year, something Androids have had for years, so idk where that argument is going.

Quality apps? Seriously? Most apps that people use are on both, and google Play has a lot of great apps. Maybe that reasoning would have worked 5 years ago, but not now.

If you think the customisation options on Android are ‘minor’ then you either don’t use/appreciate them (in which fine an iPhone will suit you perfectly) or don’t know about half of them. On Android you can customise pretty much anything you want. IOS? Not so much.

Glass screen protectors? First time I’ve heard of it. You can get glass screen protectors on Androids and iPhones.

Reliability/Longevity/Security wise Androids are almost as good as iPhones. Android security is increasing while iOS exploits are rising but currently iPhones are slightly more secure. I say slightly because most of the so called ‘Android exploits’ you see on the tech media involve apps that few have even heard about. And then there was that iPhone throttling scandal a while back. The difference for the three listed above is negligible.

And when it comes to the curved screen...I actually like it. It’s more or less for a purely aesthetic reason (nice to look at when display content) and if you drop a phone without a case on it it’s probably going to break anyway, so using that as an excuse for potential clumsiness doesn’t work.

Samsung cameras aren’t bad in terms of hardware but they have too much post process smoothing. That makes the pictures look awful but unless someone compares them side by side then you may not notice.

iPhones had pretty good battery life since the plus series. I literally had to buy phones that had the best battery life at the time because of my job. At that times the pluses were really good and on par with the notes.

Quality apps. App quality is just plain and simple smoother and better looking on iOS.

We won’t talk about customization again. That’s been gone over quite enough and I don’t do any of that typically. Others may and some others may not.

The glass screen protector argument is only for curved screens. Not everyone is going to use a Whitestone dome due to the install process. I have only tried a zagg glass protector since the note 8. It only had adhesive on the edges and it was useless.

iOS is much more secure than android. It’s simply not slightly.

I like the curved screen for looks only. But would gladly give it up for a flat screen with slight more width.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
iOS is not more secure than Android. That is an old isheep tale. Both are equally bad as of today.

https://www.pcmag.com/commentary/367918/securitywatch-android-vs-ios-which-is-more-secure

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/android-ios-apps-equally-bad-security,news-30392.html

Samsung cameras aren’t bad in terms of hardware but they have too much post process smoothing. That makes the pictures look awful but unless someone compares them side by side then you may not notice.

iPhones had pretty good battery life since the plus series. I literally had to buy phones that had the best battery life at the time because of my job. At that times the pluses were really good and on par with the notes.

Quality apps. App quality is just plain and simple smoother and better looking on iOS.

We won’t talk about customization again. That’s been gone over quite enough and I don’t do any of that typically. Others may and some others may not.

The glass screen protector argument is only for curved screens. Not everyone is going to use a Whitestone dome due to the install process. I have only tried a zagg glass protector since the note 8. It only had adhesive on the edges and it was useless.

iOS is much more secure than android. It’s simply not slightly.

I like the curved screen for looks only. But would gladly give it up for a flat screen with slight more width.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
I wouldn’t say they are equal at all. Especially that those articles are months old. Each app and OS update and change how secure they are.

A few months old does not equal to being a bad article. It is known both are equally as bad, and not one is better than the other. Why are you on a Android site if all you do is favor iOS?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
A few months old does not equal to being a bad article. It is known both are equally as bad, and not one is better than the other. Why are you on a Android site if all you do is favor iOS?
They have the right to come here as long as they dont break any rules ..some will favor iPhone and others will do same for android .

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
They have the right to come here as long as they dont break any rules ..some will favor iPhone and others will do same for android .

I agree. We may disagree with him but he is allowed here. That is something a few folks on iMore need to understand lol.

But app quality is subjective in terms of iOS vs Android. Depends on your personal taste. IPhones are more secure than Androids but it doesn’t make a difference in normal use...a lot of scaremongering and misinformation going around.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I don’t favor it at all. I’m am stating only facts here. Any fan boy couldn’t see that though.

I have used almost every note and the Og droid, droid max and galaxy S3. I prefer android in I’m also not blind from the fence that divides the OSs.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I don’t favor it at all. I’m am stating only facts here. Any fan boy couldn’t see that though.

I have used almost every note and the Og droid, droid max and galaxy S3. I prefer android in I’m also not blind from the fence that divides the OSs.

In my experience, Apple sheep and Android fanboys on forums tend to ignore your argument, personally insult you, are generally hypocrites and don’t know the difference between fact and opinion.

I’m not a big fan of pressuring or kicking people out of forums because they have a different view. What’s the point of having a forum where everyone agrees and thinks the same thing? Would be very boring.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, Apple sheep and Android fanboys on forums tend to ignore your argument, personally insult you, are generally hypocrites and don’t know the difference between fact and opinion.

I’m not a big fan of pressuring or kicking people out of forums because they have a different view. What’s the point of having a forum where everyone agrees and thinks the same thing? Would be very boring.

Right. I don’t attack someone unless they just plain deserve it. Your can’t fix stupid or ignorant. I’m not biased to one OS or the other. Android and iOS both have their faults and there one sinks the other rises. I personally use iOS as I write this but I’m going to be picking me up another note 10+... maybe even today. My first one seemed to have some issues with it. I also need the open network API for work also and the multitasking abilities with PIP for my other job. iOS is wonderful but it still has a long ways to go before I could stick with it like I used to.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right. I don’t attack someone unless they just plain deserve it. Your can’t fix stupid or ignorant. I’m not biased to one OS or the other. Android and iOS both have their faults and there one sinks the other rises. I personally use iOS as I write this but I’m going to be picking me up another note 10+... maybe even today. My first one seemed to have some issues with it. I also need the open network API for work also and the multitasking abilities with PIP for my other job. iOS is wonderful but it still has a long ways to go before I could stick with it like I used to.
No need to attack someone , just report it to a Mod , ambassador,or triangle button ...it will be handled

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

You aren't stating facts. Just your opinion. I showed you the facts with the links.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Note 10+ for about a month now after being in a Note 8 since September of 2017, a S7 and a Note 4 Edge prior to that. I have the unlocked version on AT&T and truthfully, I'm just not wowed with it. Great display and typical Android/Note amenities, but at the end of the day, I'm just bored with it as it's not that big of a jump from my Note 8.

I've never had an iPhone though I'm surrounded by them by colleagues and family. My main number is a Google number which I'm not going to get rid of, so I know I'll never really get to reap the benefits of iMessage, losing the stylus and trading in the flexibility of Android Pay to Apple Pay...and my paid apps as well.

The iPhone 11 Max Pro is looking nice right about now just as something different. I'm not a specs geek so much as I am all about experience. I'm not looking for someone to talk me off the ledge, but: a) Is anyone else feeling this way? and b) Is there any major compromise that I'm missing?

What did you decide on?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I've used android and iPhones, ios gets alot of praise but imo, it's fine, not as great as many articles or reviews make it out to be. IPhones are solid well made devices, but aesthetically imo they havn't looked better than most flagship android devices since the iPhone 4s or iPhone 5. No phone imo has been "WOW" worthy in years. I mean the iPhone 4s deserved a wow, galaxy s3 deserved a wow, note 2 deserved a wow but to me the last wow worthy phone was the note 7... But then it exploded .

Idk, maybe I've just out grew the excitement for incremental differences at this point. Phones take pics, use apps, and place calls at this point as long as you spend say $400 your getting a well made device that runs relatively smoothly to most people.

Update : you know what would Wow me? A device with fingerprint proof screen, 10hrs sot no matter how much strain a user puts on it, have all the current bells in whistles in a flagship device, running the latest Android or ios software with updates on day 1 of the release and priced at under $700! That would have both of my eyebrows raised as I pre-order!

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think the security of a device is so largely affected by the precautions taken by the user.

I don't know how someone would get bored in under two months and consider the iPhone 11 when the 11 not only looks identical to the 10 but isn't dramatically different from the last versions sans the camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital