October update - camera improvements?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Samsung listed improved image quality as part of the October update.
Which firmware are you referring to as "the October update"? The ASI3 firmware, released Oct 10 for the N975U1 (with the Oct 1 security patch level), is a security-only update, with no image-quality improvements listed.

cfcf28bf5eceea0a39e99d0748f2fc2e.jpg

Last edited:

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Samsung listed improved image quality as part of the October update. Anything noticeable?

I'm having camera settings issues after this update. I can't access them. they immediately force close. so you might want to make sure yours are configured the way you want them before you take the update.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm having camera settings issues after this update. I can't access them. they immediately force close. so you might want to make sure yours are configured the way you want them before you take the update.
No one else has reported that problem, and it's only one of many strange problems you've been encountering since the update. I think those problems are almost certainly a side-effect of your using a package disabler to delay the previous month's update, and then installing both updates in quick succession (even with the package disabler turned off at that point). I don't think others need to worry about it at all.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
the op is the first one besides me that has mentioned the camera update as part of their 10/01 update.
But they didn't say they have the same firmware (ASI3). There are multiple "10/01" updates out there for the Note10, and they include different things from one another. That's why it's important to identify firmware by the firmware version, not by the security patch level.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
as previously mentioned, Package Disabler was not in use during the updates.
Yes, I mentioned that myself in the very message you're replying to. But it's easy to see how the package disabler could cause problems anyway after you used it to delay the previous month's update. For example, it may have only partially succeeded in blocking the previous update; it may still have allowed the system to start to make some sort of change for the delayed update, leaving the system in a confused, inconsistent state. That damage could then prevent subsequent updates from installing correctly, even after the package disabler is no longer in use.

I'm not dumb, I have always used disablers, and never had update issues before.
A failure of the package disabler has nothing to do with your intelligence, and many things work several times and then fail. Package disablers are notorious for causing system problems in some instances but not others. It is the most likely explanation for why you're suddenly seeing a constellation of problems that no one else reports.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I mentioned that myself in the very message you're replying to.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. mine differs. this last update was rushed out for whatever reason. and with sprint involved. well, that alone explains it. sprint always monkeys up one thing or another. that is not news. sprint is the worst. beyond the camera update via the sec update/settings issue, which I believe is part of the problem, I put this on sprint, and app updates that yet need to come.

the app, automateit hasn't worked properly in more than a year, so the fact that it chokes on this latest, and the previous, sec update is no surprise. many using pie are having issues with it and I had issues even though I never took pie on the Note 8. I use it because it sends me home, lowers my brightness when placed on a charger, and keeps my screen dim when the charging finishes. cannot find an app that does that as easily. the remaining issues cleared with the external cache clearing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
From what I can tell unlocked users in the US only got the security patch. Sprint and international got the camera update

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
everyone is entitled to their own opinion. mine differs. this last update was rushed out for whatever reason. and with sprint involved. well, that alone explains it. sprint always monkeys up one thing or another. that is not news. sprint is the worst. beyond the camera update via the sec update/settings issue, which I believe is part of the problem, I put this on sprint, and app updates that yet need to come.

I haven't seen other Sprint users with the same problem (or ANY user from any carrier for that matter). I would expect a bug in the update that affects a basic app that is on all of our phones and very widely used (Camera settings) to be a little more widespread. It does appear at this point to be something specific to your phone. I hope you can get it figured out.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen other Sprint users with the same problem (or ANY user from any carrier for that matter). I would expect a bug in the update that affects a basic app that is on all of our phones and very widely used (Camera settings) to be a little more widespread. It does appear at this point to be something specific to your phone. I hope you can get it figured out.

great. I stand by my post.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
please stop replying to my posts. I am deleting them. I only posted to caution the OP. everyone has veered off and it's not right. AND, I'm tired of justifying my position. it will not change no matter what. all the rest is dust in the wind.

very honestly, I'm feeling harassed for knowing what I know. please stop.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
please stop replying to my posts. I am deleting them. I only posted to caution the OP. everyone has veered off and it's not right. AND, I'm tired of justifying my position. it will not change no matter what. all the rest is dust in the wind.

very honestly, I'm feeling harassed for knowing what I know. please stop.
Dont take it the wrong way everyone just trying figure out what they got with this update and make sense of it , we all trying to help each other .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair