10-15-2019 08:47 AM
63 123
tools
    I understand all of your points, and it's great that the water resistance has done its job for you. I still think that the water resistance should be used as a good safety feature for the phone (which benefited your wife), but not as a reason to intentionally use the phone underwater. I've just seen way too many posts here about someone who dove underwater with their phone in order to take pictures, or ran it under a hose just to see how well the water resistance works, only to find that something's wonky afterwards.

BTW, my point about mentioning that it isn't impervious has to do with how Samsung can address warranty coverage. A person who gets the phone wet and finds that the water resistance failed may not have much of an argument, since nowhere in the manual or warranty does it say that the phone is impervious to water.
    To prove my point about warranties here is what the user guide says for my GoPro Hero 5 Black:

Do not dry the camera or battery with an external heat source such as a
    microwave oven or hair dryer. Damage to the camera or battery caused by
    contact with liquid inside the camera is not covered under the warranty

Keep in mind, the GoPro Hero 5 Black camera itself is rated at 30 feet out of the box WITHOUT a housing. Based on this this warranty, even I was using the camera in 20 feet of water as designed, then I would be violating the warranty.

I accidentally posted the warranty for the Hero 4 Black/Silver.
    10-14-2019 08:28 PM
    Until I see evidence or proof that Samsung will replace a phone for water damage, I'll just use it's IP rating as a safety net in case a accident happens .
    10-14-2019 08:47 PM
    Yes, a couple of times. Not enough to make it unusable but enough to be slightly annoying.

I guess you would have picked up on that if I typed *sensing like I meant to instead of sending in my original post
    Lol...stupid auto correct. That's good to know. I had that same problem with my S8+, but it was so bad that any underwater usage was almost impossible. That is the main reason why I don't use mine underwater. I normally don't take mine into the water. I'm not worried that much about getting it wet, I'm more worried about getting smacked by a wave and getting it knocked out of my hands (like what happened to my wife). I've been smacked and flipped over too many times.
    10-14-2019 08:52 PM
    Interesting comments about getting the Note 10 wet......oh no never do THAT......and yet when I read reviews about Asus ROG phone 2 (which comes with no water "resistance" classification) this is always pointed out as a negative to begin with but with Sammy it seems like it's only a suggestive safety consideration but doesn't really mean much in reality. Basically, don't shower with your phone!
    10-14-2019 09:11 PM
    Basically, don't shower with your phone!
    Agreed. IP ratings, drop ratings, and whatever else they claim these days mean almost nothing. I would treat the Note 10 no different than the ROG Phone II.
    10-14-2019 09:37 PM
    And vicaversa
    Agreed. IP ratings, drop ratings, and whatever else they claim these days mean almost nothing. I would treat the Note 10 no different than the ROG Phone II.
    And vice versa
    10-14-2019 09:44 PM
    Until I see evidence or proof that Samsung will replace a phone for water damage, I'll just use it's IP rating as a safety net in case a accident happens .
    This same debate comes up every time someone asks the question "Can I take pictures under water?"

My answer is "Yes you can"

But by all means buy accidental damage insurance just in case you sustain water damage so that you can get your new device most likely replaced with a refurbished unit for a high deductible.
    toenail_flicker and tube517 like this.
    10-14-2019 10:09 PM
    This same debate comes up every time someone asks the question "Can I take pictures under water?"

My answer is "Yes you can"

But by all means by accidental damage insurance just in case you sustain water damage so that you can get your new device most likely replaced with a refurbished unit for a high deductible.
    I agree , like you say buy accidental insurance, or water proof pouch to put in and good to go.
    10-14-2019 10:33 PM
    And then people will complain about high insurance costs, not putting two and two together. Lol
    tube517 likes this.
    10-14-2019 10:36 PM
    And then people will complain about high insurance costs, not putting two and two together. Lol
    In don't even like getting my phone wet in the rain
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    10-14-2019 10:56 PM
    10-15-2019 12:05 AM
    could always cover the charging port with waterproof tape.
    May try that next time. I did try some portplugs that I got off amazon, but didnt work. They are more for keeping dust out but figured I would try anyway for the pool.
    10-15-2019 07:50 AM
    I haven't with my Note 10+ yet but did with my Note 9 and iPhone XS Max. They both had extended warranties that explicitely covered accidental damage including water. My Note 9 took some pictures in a pool while my XS Max went into a couple of oceans. I'm sure my Note 10+ will make it into water around Spring of next year when it gets warmer.
    10-15-2019 08:47 AM
63 123