Has anyone put their phone underwater and taken pictures or video?

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
No it won't. Did you not read what I posted? That is from Samsung's web page.

in spite of what samsung says, when you put the phone in water, they will know one way or another so if there is a problem and you send your phone in, they will claim water damage most of the time. IMO, though they have great products, samsung is one of the worlds worse at honoring warranties, whether it be phones, electronic devices or appliances. there are too many horror stores online about them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It is IP68 rated which means it can be submerged into 1.5m water for up to 30min.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%2Fgalaxy%2Fwhat-is%2Fip68%2F&token=ImheP5XY

That actually doesn't say anything about guaranteeing that the phone will be waterproof under those conditions. It says specifically that it is "resistant to submersion" -- the wording there is important, because resistant doesn't mean impervious.

If you look at the manual on pg 163, the wording there is also very careful to avoid any statement that the phone is waterproof. In fact, there are a lot of warnings about conditions that could cause problems (bold is mine):

"The device is not impervious to dust and water damage in any situation. It is important that all compartments are closed tightly."

"Liquid other than fresh water may enter the device faster. Failure to rinse
the device in fresh water and dry it as instructed may cause the device to suffer from operability or cosmetic issues.

And this is from the [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dac-vb-p-6667469%26u1%3DUUacUvbUpU6667469%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fus%252FLegal%252FPhone-HSGuide%252F&token=qm2bwI2Z]warranty[/URL]: "Water damage to your device may void the manufacturer’s warranty. The device battery comes with an internal liquid indicator that will record if any water has damaged the battery. Water damage to your device may void the manufacturer’s warranty. Do not handle the device or components with wet hands."

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
That actually doesn't say anything about guaranteeing that the phone will be waterproof under those conditions. It says specifically that it is "resistant to submersion" -- the wording there is important, because resistant doesn't mean impervious.

If you look at the manual on pg 163, the wording there is also very careful to avoid any statement that the phone is waterproof. In fact, there are a lot of warnings about conditions that could cause problems (bold is mine):

"The device is not impervious to dust and water damage in any situation. It is important that all compartments are closed tightly."

"Liquid other than fresh water may enter the device faster. Failure to rinse
the device in fresh water and dry it as instructed may cause the device to suffer from operability or cosmetic issues.

And this is from the [URL="https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?link=https%3A%2F%2Fshop-links.co%2Flink%2F%3Fexclusive%3D1%26publisher_slug%3Dfuture%26article_name%3Dac-vb-p-6667485%26u1%3DUUacUvbUpU6667485%26url%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.samsung.com%252Fus%252FLegal%252FPhone-HSGuide%252F&token=WvcplDCW]warranty[/URL]: "Water damage to your device may void the manufacturer’s warranty. The device battery comes with an internal liquid indicator that will record if any water has damaged the battery. Water damage to your device may void the manufacturer’s warranty. Do not handle the device or components with wet hands."

a) I never said impervious.
b) Unless, there is a manufacturer's defect, the ONLY way water will get in, is if you use it in a matter for which it wasn't designed. Meaning, it has been submerged in 1.5m or less of water for OVER 30min, or it has been submerged in water DEEPER than 1.5m.

The rub is proving you were using the phone as it was designed and not subjecting it to abnormal handling. Technically speaking, just by exposing the phone to normal atmospheric conditions will "expose" it to moisture. That is unless you live in the Atacama Desert.

There is what is called, "fair use." As long as you are using the phone for its intended purpose and did not actually purposely abuse or misuse use the device, the warranty will apply.

The point being is that according to the USER GUIDE, it can be allowed to get wet. It is not only in the user guide, but also in advertisements. If push comes to shove, Samsung could be held liable if the phone gets damaged while being used as it was designed. It just depends on how hard you are willing to push back if Samsung wants to be a turd.

For the record, that IP68 rating WORKS. My wife got smacked by 5 foot wave while at Bellows. It knocked the phone (Note 8) out of her case. When we found it, it had been submerged in both salt water AND wet sand. We rinsed it off and let the charging port dry out and it is still going strong. I even have a photo of it when it was underwater.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I understand all of your points, and it's great that the water resistance has done its job for you. I still think that the water resistance should be used as a good safety feature for the phone (which benefited your wife), but not as a reason to intentionally use the phone underwater. I've just seen way too many posts here about someone who dove underwater with their phone in order to take pictures, or ran it under a hose just to see how well the water resistance works, only to find that something's wonky afterwards.:-\

BTW, my point about mentioning that it isn't impervious has to do with how Samsung can address warranty coverage. A person who gets the phone wet and finds that the water resistance failed may not have much of an argument, since nowhere in the manual or warranty does it say that the phone is impervious to water.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Sea water and pool water are not the standard at which the device was tested or approved. They are using fresh water something more akin to a rain or rain puddle, sink or untreated toilet water, maybe a creek or pond, but not the harshness of chemically treated swim water (the chemicals degrade the seals) or highly destructive nature of salt that forms from drying sea water. So while you may think that your device is OK to just play pool side consider this, if the device becomes damaged how will you prove that it was never more than 1.5 meters deep, it was never submerged for more than 30 minutes, that it was only submerged in fresh water? They will have an IP68 water damaged device which would indicate that misuse must have occurred and you will just have your word.

Meanwhile let's not forget the lawsuit Samsung is facing, which if nothing else has put them on the defensive and probably caused them to modify language in their claims and warrantees to protect themselves more than guarantee its users.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...r-resistant/&usg=AOvVaw1vex5dFT0eW_-dkqfSRx5M

Light reading;
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...one-in-water&usg=AOvVaw0zk38IjpKwT-bSnEdn_q9r

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...f-phone-wet/&usg=AOvVaw01ke46H58chzfyR78RStco

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Took this and a ton more plus a few videos on my note 8 last summer, worked pretty well underwater except for a few times it seemed like it was sensing multiple touches on the screen, but that was just a minor annoyance.

Had to wait until the charging port dried to charge it, but never had any others at all with the phone.SmartSelect_20191014-201326_Photos.jpeg

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Took this and a ton more plus a few videos on my note 8 last summer, worked pretty well underwater except for a few times it seemed like it was sending multiple touches on the screen, but that was just a minor annoyance.

Had to wait until the charging port dried to charge it, but never had any others at all with the phone.View attachment 311668

Did you have any problems with "phantom touches" while underwater? Meaning, did you have any issues using the touch screen when submerged?

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Did you have any problems with "phantom touches" while underwater? Meaning, did you have any issues using the touch screen when submerged?
Yes, a couple of times. Not enough to make it unusable but enough to be slightly annoying.

I guess you would have picked up on that if I typed *sensing like I meant to instead of sending in my original post

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I understand all of your points, and it's great that the water resistance has done its job for you. I still think that the water resistance should be used as a good safety feature for the phone (which benefited your wife), but not as a reason to intentionally use the phone underwater. I've just seen way too many posts here about someone who dove underwater with their phone in order to take pictures, or ran it under a hose just to see how well the water resistance works, only to find that something's wonky afterwards.:-\

BTW, my point about mentioning that it isn't impervious has to do with how Samsung can address warranty coverage. A person who gets the phone wet and finds that the water resistance failed may not have much of an argument, since nowhere in the manual or warranty does it say that the phone is impervious to water.

To prove my point about warranties here is what the user guide says for my GoPro Hero 5 Black:

Do not dry the camera or battery with an external heat source such as a
microwave oven or hair dryer. Damage to the camera or battery caused by
contact with liquid inside the camera is not covered under the warranty​

Keep in mind, the GoPro Hero 5 Black camera itself is rated at 30 feet out of the box WITHOUT a housing. Based on this this warranty, even I was using the camera in 20 feet of water as designed, then I would be violating the warranty.

I accidentally posted the warranty for the Hero 4 Black/Silver.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Until I see evidence or proof that Samsung will replace a phone for water damage, I'll just use it's IP rating as a safety net in case a accident happens .

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes, a couple of times. Not enough to make it unusable but enough to be slightly annoying.

I guess you would have picked up on that if I typed *sensing like I meant to instead of sending in my original post

Lol...stupid auto correct. That's good to know. I had that same problem with my S8+, but it was so bad that any underwater usage was almost impossible. That is the main reason why I don't use mine underwater. I normally don't take mine into the water. I'm not worried that much about getting it wet, I'm more worried about getting smacked by a wave and getting it knocked out of my hands (like what happened to my wife). I've been smacked and flipped over too many times.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Interesting comments about getting the Note 10 wet......oh no never do THAT......and yet when I read reviews about Asus ROG phone 2 (which comes with no water "resistance" classification) this is always pointed out as a negative to begin with but with Sammy it seems like it's only a suggestive safety consideration but doesn't really mean much in reality. Basically, don't shower with your phone!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Until I see evidence or proof that Samsung will replace a phone for water damage, I'll just use it's IP rating as a safety net in case a accident happens .
This same debate comes up every time someone asks the question "Can I take pictures under water?"

My answer is "Yes you can"

But by all means buy accidental damage insurance just in case you sustain water damage so that you can get your new device most likely replaced with a refurbished unit for a high deductible.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This same debate comes up every time someone asks the question "Can I take pictures under water?"

My answer is "Yes you can"

But by all means by accidental damage insurance just in case you sustain water damage so that you can get your new device most likely replaced with a refurbished unit for a high deductible.
I agree , like you say buy accidental insurance, or water proof pouch to put in and good to go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2