Has anyone put their phone underwater and taken pictures or video?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has done this and if there were any ill effects to the phone?
I took video in a pool under water with my Note 9. Absolutely fantastic. Never an issue with the phone. Didn't do the same with my Note 10 yet but it should be just fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that the water resistance rating is not a guarantee, and water damage is not covered by warranty. These phones are not intended for underwater usage, regardless of any misleading advertising you may have seen. Water resistance is meant as a protective feature in case of accidental submersion, but the testing is based on very controlled circumstances, using fresh water (not salt water), at a specific depth (and therefore a specific pressure). Any deviation from those specifications, or any potential break in the phone's integrity (like a small crack on the screen) will increase the risk for water damage.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Water resistant does not mean water proof.

I would never put a $1000+ device under water on purpose.

Electronics + Water = Bad news

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Stick the phone into a ziplock bag. Press the air out and seal it. Stick that, sealed edge first, into another ziplock bag. Press the air out and seal it.

Now if water starts to get into the outer bag you can see it and get the whole thing out of the water fast. (Any phone takes pictures pretty well like that - and you save the $10 that a waterproof pouch would cost.)

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has done this and if there were any ill effects to the phone?

I've done it plenty of times with no issues as far as water damage. YMMV, but the screen acts all wonky once you put it in water so sometimes it's difficult to start a video under water or take a picture. The water acts like a bunch of random touch input going on. Even if you start video before putting it under water the water can sometimes stop the recording, flip it to the front facing camera, etc. It's not really ideal functionality wise but with a bit of finagling you can probably get some good shots. Don't think it's really worth the hassle tho.

Last edited:

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Yup and they came out beautiful. I don't recommend doing this to everyone but honestly if your willing, the phone is designed to be in the short term conditions of minimal depths like the arm length at an aquarium let's say...not that this is what I did. But in all seriousness..it can be worth it

faith3935

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Not recommended. Don't be that guy that attempts it and complains and whine to Samsung support about your phone being water damaged. Samsung warranty doesn't cover water damage.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I do it. It's fine. The phone is rated at IP68, which means no water ingress if submerged in still water up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. It's true that Samsung's warranty says it excludes water damage, but I don't think they can legally get away with that exclusion given their IP68 advertising. A manufacturer is required to stand by a product's advertised capabilities.

One of the first things I do when I get an IP68-rated device is to turn it on and submerge it in a container of water for several minutes while videoing the whole process. If the phone stops working, I'll have proof that its seal was defective before the 2-week exchange period runs out. But none of my IP68 devices have ever failed that test.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%2Fgalaxy%2Fwhat-is%2Fip68%2F&token=VExxj4E_

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I do it. It's fine. The phone is rated at IP68, which means no water ingress if submerged in still water up to 1.5 meters for up to 30 minutes. It's true that Samsung's warranty says it excludes water damage, but I don't think they can legally get away with that exclusion given their IP68 advertising. A manufacturer is required to stand by a product's advertised capabilities.

One of the first things I do when I get an IP68-rated device is to turn it on and submerge it in a container of water for several minutes while videoing the whole process. If the phone stops working, I'll have proof that its seal was defective before the 2-week exchange period runs out. But none of my IP68 devices have ever failed that test.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%2Fgalaxy%2Fwhat-is%2Fip68%2F&token=_EE80s3x

It's not covered period regardless of when you test it. You might win if you take them to small claims court in the U.S. because the courts always favor the little guy in a law suit regardless of wrong or right but who wants to go through that?

You might slip it by during the return process but if they realize it's water damage you're out of luck unless you buy accidental damage insurance.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not covered period regardless of when you test it.
I know their warranty says it excludes water damage, but do you have any evidence that they can legally get away with excluding an advertised capability from the warranty if they're challenged on it?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know their warranty says it excludes water damage, but do you have any evidence that they can legally get away with excluding an advertised capability from the warranty if they're challenged on it?
This argument has been between to death in various threads and forums and we won't get any further today than anyone has gotten in the past. It's not covered period. I've been involved in numerous law suits over the course of my career and whether you get away with it in a court of law is a question of how well you present your argument, who the judge is and as I've previously stated, they often rule in the favor if the little guy. In my opinion, it's not worth the effort but that's up to the end user to decide if they have a problem.
Frankly, I think it's bad advice to tell someone it's OK.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There is no legal requirement to have a warranty, and what is warrantied is up to the manufacturer. When it comes to water damage on an "ip rated" device like this, there's additional user induced variables that can make that seal fail, which Samsung can not account for. Water contaminants, drops/impact damage, disassembly, etc.

What you are claiming would be like trying to claim a cracked windshield on a car's "bumper to bumper warranty" after being hit by a rock.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had my Note 8/9 in the shower without issue.

S7 has been submerged in lakes and streams numerous times without issue but like others said it isn't covered by warranty. Also keep in mind when the screen is wet it doesn't respond to touch. I couldn't take photos, could only start a video above water and submerge it.