When I have the Note 8 and want to use handwriting with the S-pen in an app suggest as messages, I would just hover the pen over the text input space and and an icon would appear that if I touched with the pen, it would open the handwriting utility. I can't seem to get that icon to appear on the Note 10+. Anyone know if there is a setting or configuration I may be missing?
    10-17-2019 07:50 AM
    I don't have your answer, but I never saw this on my Note 8 and it's something I would absolutely use. thank you for asking.
    10-17-2019 08:14 AM
    No problem. But it 100% existed. I used it all the time.

A matter of fact, here is the icon bring pointed to by the arrow. It would show up when you hovered the S pen over a text input bar (messaging app, internet browser, etc.

https://images.app.goo.gl/zF2MbXq54WTT2ZpK7
    10-17-2019 09:06 AM
    thanks. now that you've shown it to me, I remember that icon. I must have turned it off at some point.

I did some research after you posted and the closest thing I can find to that - no icon though - is that if you open Samsung Notes you can write whatever and then covert to text and send to the clipboard. some functionality but not as good as that icon.

I probably turned it off because having it always there would annoy me. it would need to be an on-demand thing for me. maybe that's what Samsung decided to do by making it available through Samsung Notes.
    10-17-2019 09:18 AM
    I believe it only works with the stock keyboard now. Which sucks cause I really liked that feature and hate the stock keyboard.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    10-17-2019 09:52 AM
    hate the stock keyboard.
    +1
    10-17-2019 09:53 AM
    Direct pen input... Loved that feature and it has been removed. The only two options for a close replacement is to use the stock Samsung keyboard and in settings enable pen detection. Which works nice if you like the stock KB.

The other option is to install GBoard and Google handwriting input. After configuring, you can have a globe icon on GBoard where you tap it to switch to handwriting mode.

I just dont like the stock KB because when I swipe words, it comes up with some crazy non-existent words. But the handwriting option is very nice. It supports gestures for editing etc.

GBoard is much more accurate for me when swiping but the handwriting input lacks gestures for editing. You cant line out a word to erase it or strike out a character etc.

Im trying to get used to Samsung KB because I much prefer its handwriting mode over Google's.
    10-17-2019 02:00 PM