Note 10 plus battery issues is it hardware or software

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Was it on Airplane Mode? If not, the phone was probably still syncing and refreshing data periodically even while idle using mobile data. That amount of drain of 9.5 hrs is actually pretty good from my experience.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Was it on Airplane Mode? If not, the phone was probably still syncing and refreshing data periodically even while idle using mobile data. That amount of drain of 9.5 hrs is actually pretty good from my experience.

Nope it wasnt, mobile data wasnt on too the only thing that was active was the signal tower

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Again, that's completely normal discharge if cellular is active.

I have a question tho, just out of curiosity, what would happen if the sim isnt available, is the phone still connected to a cellular tower and actively exhanging signals with it. Because even before putting a sim cards phones do display a full bar as signal strength

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a question tho, just out of curiosity, what would happen if the sim isnt available, is the phone still connected to a cellular tower and actively exhanging signals with it. Because even before putting a sim cards phones do display a full bar as signal strength

Yes, it is. It connects at 3G/1X if on a cdma network. If you on a gsm based network I don’t think it would. But with the sim not installed and the phone not in airplane mode I would not trust the phone to not search for a network.

Why don’t you just turn the phone off if your not gonna to even have it one you?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it is. It connects at 3G/1X if on a cdma network. If you on a gsm based network I don’t think it would. But with the sim not installed and the phone not in airplane mode I would not trust the phone to not search for a network.

Why don’t you just turn the phone off if your not gonna to even have it one you?

Ah, I didn't even think about CDMA. I used my unlocked Note 10+ without a sim on wifi only at home for a couple weeks after I got it and it showed a no sim notification persistently. On that phone being that it had never had a sim in it, it didn't look for a network. However on my U12+ it constantly searches for a signal unless I keep it in airplane mode. I believe that's because it had a sim in it at one point.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, I didn't even think about CDMA. I used my unlocked Note 10+ without a sim on wifi only at home for a couple weeks after I got it and it showed a no sim notification persistently. On that phone being that it had never had a sim in it, it didn't look for a network. However on my U12+ it constantly searches for a signal unless I keep it in airplane mode. I believe that's because it had a sim in it at one point.

Yup exactly. Not sim not files to load up and no last known network to search for.

I had a sim issue in a unlocked note 8 that was previously with ATT. I paid it off and moved it over to Verizon. Inserted Verizon sim and it turned it basically into a Verizon phone. Even had the Verizon boot logo. I got a new phone and has an issue or something, I don’t remember exactly. Anyway I had to use my note 8 with deactivated sim to call Verizon. It was about a 30 min phone call I think but the battery usage was horrific. It used about 50% of my battery on that call. I assume it was bc it was trying to search but it was firing everything it had under the hood. Basically had the same battery life as a Motorola V262 in fringe areas lol.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site

Aha but actually in the UAE we only have GSM, my ohone does show no sim (emergency calls only) but yet the bars are full on the top. Ya now actually i do turn it off when i go to the field as i dont get to use it there
On the gsm does it still look for network?

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site

Yes i have the no sim notification all the time, if the sim is not inserted of course and next to it is emergency calls only.
Never considered putting it in airplane mode at all because i have always thought that no sim=no network so no exchange of signals.
But again why is the network bar always there and always with full bars

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site

Yes i have the no sim notification all the time, if the sim is not inserted of course and next to it is emergency calls only.
Never considered putting it in airplane mode at all because i have always thought that no sim=no network so no exchange of signals.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Aha but actually in the UAE we only have GSM, my ohone does show no sim (emergency calls only) but yet the bars are full on the top. Ya now actually i do turn it off when i go to the field as i dont get to use it there
On the gsm does it still look for network?

I would assume so. Unless there is something built into the software that state “if not sim then turn off modem”.

But there maybe reasons not to implement that or it could be buggy. The more I look into the software it almost if android is just a complex as windows server. And it some ways it might be more complex. Another thing is that androids, whether it’s the software or the hardware, have horrible standby time compared to Apple. I’ll bet it’s both but 80-90% hardware as I know for a fact Apple can put their processors to sleep faster and deeper.

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I’m guessing that there is something in the phone to keep it connected. The modem would have to receive a signal either way whether the SIM card was there or not. The SIM card basically tells the phone hey I know u seen 30 bands but only use these X amount and btw here’s some files. In the US a phone has to be able to make emergency calls no matter what unless there is simply 0 signal. I could take my ATT phone to my moms wheee there is not ATT service and dial 911 if need be.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I would assume so. Unless there is something built into the software that state “if not sim then turn off modem”.

But there maybe reasons not to implement that or it could be buggy. The more I look into the software it almost if android is just a complex as windows server. And it some ways it might be more complex. Another thing is that androids, whether it’s the software or the hardware, have horrible standby time compared to Apple. I’ll bet it’s both but 80-90% hardware as I know for a fact Apple can put their processors to sleep faster and deeper.

I totally agree, apple does a way better job at keeping its functions asleep compared to android specially samsung as i have had past experiences with Huwaei and they were not bad at all.
Coming back to the phone cellular connection issue, when i look at my battery graph at the end of the day i see that the cellular standby is 4 to 5 percent and that should most if the time if not always indicate that the phone is actively looking for a network
Correct me if iam wrong

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
I’m guessing that there is something in the phone to keep it connected. The modem would have to receive a signal either way whether the SIM card was there or not. The SIM card basically tells the phone hey I know u seen 30 bands but only use these X amount and btw here’s some files. In the US a phone has to be able to make emergency calls no matter what unless there is simply 0 signal. I could take my ATT phone to my moms wheee there is not ATT service and dial 911 if need be.

Yes this is what i think is the case too, and yea by law in the UAE the phone has to be able to make emergency calls but we dial 999 instead :D

tekjunkie28

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree, apple does a way better job at keeping its functions asleep compared to android specially samsung as i have had past experiences with Huwaei and they were not bad at all.
Coming back to the phone cellular connection issue, when i look at my battery graph at the end of the day i see that the cellular standby is 4 to 5 percent and that should most if the time if not always indicate that the phone is actively looking for a network
Correct me if iam wrong

If you have done nothing on the phone and the phone is searching or connected then yes it is fine. I’m not exactly sure that’s Cellular standby is ever correct. I think it’s basically “checking in” with the network and if you don’t use your phone or your in a low signal area then it’s more likely to show up.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
If you have done nothing on the phone and the phone is searching or connected then yes it is fine. I’m not exactly sure that’s Cellular standby is ever correct. I think it’s basically “checking in” with the network and if you don’t use your phone or your in a low signal area then it’s more likely to show up.

Yes it usually shows if in the area has a low signal strength but again doesnt that mean that the phone is actively looking for signal hence sensing that its low

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae