Note 10 plus battery issues is it hardware or software

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi all I am new to this reputable forum but of course I have been watching it for years ever since I had my galaxy S2.
I have recently jumped to the note 10 plus because I have always been a fan of the note series and the last note I owned was the note 3.
I have had the phone for nearly 2 months and when I first got it, i got through 3 complete charge cycles from 100 to zero and everytime I got SOT of around 7 hrs to 9 hrs which was pretty awesome.
Then I left the phone idle (with no sim card and no wifi connection) for 11 days one time and for 4 days another time and this is because in my line of work I am not allowed to take phones with cameras.
When I came back the first time (11 days) I found the phone still has battery juice which was impressive but the battery started acting weird and that the rate of dissipation became bad (average 1 percent every 3 or 4 minutes) compared to 7 or 8 minutes that i used to get before, sometimes it even jumps from let's say 40 percent to 39 and then to 38 all of a sudden in like less than 2 min.
Given I am using the same settings l, same internet connection and same apps didnt change anything at all I am suspecting that the battery got ruined somehow, I am now losing 3 or 4 percent overnight also with no internet and no sim.
Any idea what is happening, could it he hardware, should I go and check it?

My phone is the exynos variant from the UAE

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Also, have you been regularly letting the battery discharge to zero? If so, that can actually lead to fairly quick deterioration.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your answer, yea i have done that 3 or 4 times and not more since i got the phone will thi ls do anythinf physically or software wise

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Probably not significantly if it's only been 3 or 4 times, but if you routinely let it drain pretty low (like to 5%), that's probably about the same risk. It's not a software issue -- it's the impact on the battery itself.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Yes it has been only 3 to 4 times, the thing that i realized after keeping it idle (i was sure that my phone was off, but i realized when i came back that it was on for the whole 11 days) is that the battery as i said has weird patterns like it literally one time lost 2 percent like in under 3 min
I am frustrated with that and need to figure out a solution hopefully

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, so that's why looking at the battery stats over the span of a normal day's use can shed some light. Perhaps the cell signal strength was poor for some time, which can drain battery. Or maybe some app you installed was misbehaving and using excessive battery.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
That is what i will be doing, i will charge it to 100 percent and after 20 or 30 percent of usage i will post the consumption here.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
No battery issue here. Best battery life I've ever had in a device. I personally turn off the battery percentage numbers cause I don't like getting caught up staring at numbers all day. Battery last all day and then goes on the wireless charger at night.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Also, have you been regularly letting the battery discharge to zero? If so, that can actually lead to fairly quick deterioration.

I have used now the phone up to 80 percent, this is what my curve shows
P.S I was restarting the phone for an update at like 95 percent so a SOT of 35 min is missing from the shown figure

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191021-212848_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20191021-212848_Settings.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 26

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was to use it down to a battery level of 20-30%. The idea is to see what's using your battery throughout most of a charge.

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Sorry, what I meant was to use it down to a battery level of 20-30%. The idea is to see what's using your battery throughout most of a charge.

Hi again, I have used my phone to 20 percent already, sorry it took a while as I am actually busy with work and as I said my field of work doesnt allow me to use the phone a lot so i mostly use it in weekends.
Anyways the screenshot is attached below and the gaps ofc as you know shows that I have switched the phone off because as I said I cant be using this phone when on duty
P.S when I switched it off at 95 percent, i lost 34 min of screen on time data so the figure shown is 34 min short of the actual SOT
What do you think of the performance of the battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191023-222112_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20191023-222112_Settings.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 27

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
7 hrs SOT is pretty darned good, but I can't comment on how it normally would be for that specific phone. The 4% Cell Standby suggests there might be times when the cell signal is poor, and that can contribute to battery drain.

Last edited:

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
That looks pretty normal to me. Over 7 hrs screen on time with 20% left isn't bad at all.

I think so too, but the thing is, i got 8 and a half hours and 9 hours when i first got it, of course those were observed near the zero percent battery but still i dont think the battery will give me 2 more hours of screen time with 20 percent left

Hesham Helal

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
7 hrs SOT is pretty darned good, but I can't comment on how it normally be for that specific phone. The 4% Cell Standby suggests there might be times when the cell signal is poor, and that can contribute to battery drain.

Aha, even thought i am pretty sure i have a 5g coverage in my area but yea it might be the case.
As i said i used to get 8 and a half and 9 hrs of SOT before keeping the phone on idle for a long time.
One last thing that i have observed, i have left the phone idle.overnight (9.5 hrs) and nothing was on (no wifi, no bluetooth, no nfc nothing) and it drained 4 percent in those 9.5 hrs, is that ok because i am pretty sure it wasnt like that 2 weeks ago

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae