Fingerprint scan hard

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I bought a Note 10+ yesterday and immediately started setting it up the way I like it. I got a screen protector (because I need it - trust me) with the circle cut out where the fingerprint scan goes. The gal in the store said that it was designed that way for proper fingerprint scanning.

Anyway, it took me about 15 minutes to set up two fingerprints, because the screen kept saying to cover the whole icon and to press harder, harder, harder. I felt like I would break my thumbs and the phone, I pressed so hard. Then, after all that, the scanner won't recognize my prints when I try to unlock the phone.

I deleted the stored prints and started over again this morning, after my phone did an update. I read an article while searching for help with this problem. Apparently there was some kind of issue with fingerprints and screen protectors, but that should have been resolved with an update. I still had problems with needing to press harder and harder. My thumbs hurt, so I stopped that nonsense.

Is something wrong with the system? Or me? For now, I'll be content with pattern unlock; it's what I'm used to, because fingerprint unlock was hit or miss on my Note 8 (the one with the sensor on the back left side - very awkward to reach).

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I bought a Note 10+ yesterday and immediately started setting it up the way I like it. I got a screen protector (because I need it - trust me) with the circle cut out where the fingerprint scan goes. The gal in the store said that it was designed that way for proper fingerprint scanning.

Anyway, it took me about 15 minutes to set up two fingerprints, because the screen kept saying to cover the whole icon and to press harder, harder, harder. I felt like I would break my thumbs and the phone, I pressed so hard. Then, after all that, the scanner won't recognize my prints when I try to unlock the phone.

I deleted the stored prints and started over again this morning, after my phone did an update. I read an article while searching for help with this problem. Apparently there was some kind of issue with fingerprints and screen protectors, but that should have been resolved with an update. I still had problems with needing to press harder and harder. My thumbs hurt, so I stopped that nonsense.

Is something wrong with the system? Or me? For now, I'll be content with pattern unlock; it's what I'm used to, because fingerprint unlock was hit or miss on my Note 8 (the one with the sensor on the back left side - very awkward to reach).

I have tried a few different brands of screen protectors and they work fine. No circle cutout and stuff. Works well. You could try Ringke's screen protector out.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm just using the inbuilt screen protector. Works fine for me.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
When I setup my fingerprint, the first time did the same. took forever to scan it in because of the cover the whole icon message. it ended up rejecting. also left the original screen protector on though at the time, did not realized it was a screen protector and eventually took it off.

finally got the hang of it and did it right when I tried again and no problems with the four fingers I used. however, since using face recognition to unlock the phone, don't use it near as much as I used to. Now I only give my phone the finger to bypass passwords I don't remember.

bbgpsuser

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
Are your hands dry? My hands are frequently dry especially in the colder weather. The ultrasonic sensor has an issue with dry skin. If I apply lotion to my hands, or even lick my thumb, it will be recognized instantly.

BTW, the "Press harder" message is just a suggestion that a programmer put in. IME often pressing lighter and waiting just a bit longer works better than trying to press your thumb through the screen.

jettie1767

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm still using the screen protector that came with the phone and the scanner works fine. It actually works better now after that last update to fix a security hole.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Wet application screen protectors from IQ Shields and or Skinomi or Armor suit works just fine. Never had trouble with the fingerprint sensor, never. Even before the fix it was fine.

I loved it on the back though so I use face unlock or pin. Face unlock has been great too. This I can live with coupled with lift to wake and smart Lock for certain devices, nice.

When setting up fingerings, I used thumb and set it up 4 times. Bingo 💯/💯.

Just be calm and still setting it up. I know you probably done this but move finger every which way you can. Lift up and you do not need to push real hard back down. Just nice and smooth. You'll find afterwards it works better.

rsmin

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Are your hands dry? My hands are frequently dry especially in the colder weather. The ultrasonic sensor has an issue with dry skin. If I apply lotion to my hands, or even lick my thumb, it will be recognized instantly.

BTW, the "Press harder" message is just a suggestion that a programmer put in. IME often pressing lighter and waiting just a bit longer works better than trying to press your thumb through the screen.
I have to do the same thing..

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
When I bought the phone, I was offered a package containing a screen protector, case, and wireless charger. I took that. I didn't realize the phone already had a screen protector on it.

I was able to get one thumb done without breaking it or the screen - I looked at it from more than one angle to ensure that I actually was covering the sensor (even when it said I wasn't) and I pressed just a little harder, not a lot. It's still hit or miss when I unlock my phone with my print, but it does unlock.

I haven't tried facial recognition yet.

Thanks, everyone!

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I have the Whitestone Dome Glass Screen Protector on my N10+ 5G and for the most part all is good.

I do have dry skin in winter so I'm aware of the current issues so right now it's a hit and miss affair.

When I set up my fingerprints I do cover the whole fos and then scan on the edges of the fps too.

Also see them up the same way you hold the phone and I scan the same thumb twice.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
When I bought the phone, I was offered a package containing a screen protector, case, and wireless charger. I took that. I didn't realize the phone already had a screen protector on it.

I was able to get one thumb done without breaking it or the screen - I looked at it from more than one angle to ensure that I actually was covering the sensor (even when it said I wasn't) and I pressed just a little harder, not a lot. It's still hit or miss when I unlock my phone with my print, but it does unlock.

I haven't tried facial recognition yet.

Thanks, everyone!

I was gonna ask if you took the preinstalled protector off before applying the new one. If you've got 2 installed that's most likely your issue.

CatLady2010

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The gal in the phone store set up my screen protector. I don't seem to have screen sensitivity issues other than the fingerprint. I'm guessing that it was installed correctly.

MsBlingberry

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
The gal in the phone store set up my screen protector. I don't seem to have screen sensitivity issues other than the fingerprint. I'm guessing that it was installed correctly.

She might not have taken off the inbuilt screen protector that came with the phone. Which would mean you have double screen protectors on, I had same issue on my note 10. I took the protector i bought off cos I didn't know it already had one. FPS works perfectly now.