S-Note Questions

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
New Note 10+ user from a Note 4.

On my Note 4, I could draw a line, circle, etc. freehand, then select it and do a "transform to shape" (something like that) and it would turn it into a straight line, actual circle, etc. Was super handy for making custom charts & sketches. I'd fully expected the Note 10+ to have even BETTER capabilities but I don't see it AT ALL - I'm sure there's an app I can use, but...

I could also create a template on my Note 4 and then open it, edit, and "Savs-As" with a different file name every time I used it and retain the original template for future use and I don't see how to do that on the 10+.

Hopefully I'm just missing something? Thanks.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Well you just did a *Back to The Future* trip so a bit of *jetlag* is to be expected :)
S-Note and Samsung Notes used to be two different applications but the lines are a little more blurred these days.
Remember the old action memo discussion/problems.....

rikken

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
New Note 10+ user from a Note 4.

On my Note 4, I could draw a line, circle, etc. freehand, then select it and do a "transform to shape" (something like that) and it would turn it into a straight line, actual circle, etc. Was super handy for making custom charts & sketches. I'd fully expected the Note 10+ to have even BETTER capabilities but I don't see it AT ALL - I'm sure there's an app I can use, but...

I could also create a template on my Note 4 and then open it, edit, and "Savs-As" with a different file name every time I used it and retain the original template for future use and I don't see how to do that on the 10+.

Hopefully I'm just missing something? Thanks.
Look for S-note in Galaxy store.

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Well you just did a *Back to The Future* trip so a bit of *jetlag* is to be expected :)
S-Note and Samsung Notes used to be two different applications but the lines are a little more blurred these days.
Remember the old action memo discussion/problems.....

I wasn't on here for all that as I was still using my Note 4. I may have seen some rumblings about it but didn't pay a lot of attention. I noticed the lack of action notes on the 10+ but then there seemed to be something similar.

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Look for S-note in Galaxy store.

Perfect - Installed S-Note and then still no "transform into > Refined shape" but then installed the extension pack and that did it! Was hoping there'd be new/better features than I had on the Note 4 such as what's in Samsung Notes - I can't believe they haven't just merged the two but for now this'll work and at least I can have 2 notes open at the same time which is nice.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Samsung Notes has that feature built-in via the Neat Shapes add-on. Go to Settings/Add-ons and turn on Neat Shapes.

Then you will see an icon on the drawing toolbar at the bottom that looks like a triangle and circle. Turn that on and any freehand shape you draw will be transformed into a straight line shape.

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Notes has that feature built-in via the Neat Shapes add-on. Go to Settings/Add-ons and turn on Neat Shapes.

Then you will see an icon on the drawing toolbar at the bottom that looks like a triangle and circle. Turn that on and any freehand shape you draw will be transformed into a straight line shape.

Omg, thank you! - That's what I wanted! Even better than S-Note! They couldn't have buried that setting ANY deeper in the system, otherwise I might have actually found it. I turned on the other option too for aligning handwriting & I'll see what it does.

Any suggestion for the template/"Save-As" issue? Seems dumb to not be open a file and save under another name.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Samsung killed S Note years ago for an inferior version that wasn't compatible with the old files. Haven't used Samsungs note apps since.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Omg, thank you! - That's what I wanted! Even better than S-Note! They couldn't have buried that setting ANY deeper in the system, otherwise I might have actually found it. I turned on the other option too for aligning handwriting & I'll see what it does.

Any suggestion for the template/"Save-As" issue? Seems dumb to not be open a file and save under another name.

The only workaround I can think of for creating a template in Samsung Notes is to:

1. Open Samsung Notes and create a new note with whatever template text/drawing you need.

2. Use the Share menu to export that note as a Samsung Notes (.SDOC) file. Be sure to save it some place convenient that you'll remember.

3. When you want to create a new note based on the template, use a file manager to open the .SDOC file (be sure to associate it with Samsung Notes. That will open it as a new note in Samsung Notes and you'll have your template note.

daninbluemd

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The only workaround I can think of for creating a template in Samsung Notes is to:

1. Open Samsung Notes and create a new note with whatever template text/drawing you need.

2. Use the Share menu to export that note as a Samsung Notes (.SDOC) file. Be sure to save it some place convenient that you'll remember.

3. When you want to create a new note based on the template, use a file manager to open the .SDOC file (be sure to associate it with Samsung Notes. That will open it as a new note in Samsung Notes and you'll have your template note.

Good idea - Beyond my pay grade to have come with it but I'll try it. I did download the old S-Note app & widgit (now have both widgets on my home screen) and I can still make the template & use it but I'll try your workaround & report back. Again, thanks for all your help.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good idea - Beyond my pay grade to have come with it but I'll try it. I did download the old S-Note app & widgit (now have both widgets on my home screen) and I can still make the template & use it but I'll try your workaround & report back. Again, thanks for all your help.

I tried S-Note, but the lack of true integration (like Screen Off memo) detracted from my experience with it, so I went back to Samsung Notes.