From Samsung Note 10+ to Pixel 4 XL

NOLATechy

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
While you can compare software, camera, price, ecosystem and operating system to an extent, there is one reason that stands out for me as to why I will always choose the Pixel over the Samsung...updates. With all the hacking and cyber attacks going on today, it is extremely important to me that my phone's operating system and apps get updated as soon as possible. Google updates the Pixel line every month with new security patches and software updates. While I understand no phone is completely secure, it's a bit more comforting to me to know that my Pixel 4 XL has the latest updates and that I'm not waiting weeks, months or even years to receive what in most cases is a vitally important security patch or software update. My Samsung Galaxy Tab hasn't received any updates since March 2019. I only use it to play games now as I have 0% trust in it being anywhere near secure enough to even handle my emails. If Samsung would ever just allow Google to update the OS without having to incorporate their UI interface, I might consider switching to a Samsung phone. But, until then, I'll stick with the more secure Pixel.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
While you can compare software, camera, price, ecosystem and operating system to an extent, there is one reason that stands out for me as to why I will always choose the Pixel over the Samsung...updates. With all the hacking and cyber attacks going on today, it is extremely important to me that my phone's operating system and apps get updated as soon as possible. Google updates the Pixel line every month with new security patches and software updates. While I understand no phone is completely secure, it's a bit more comforting to me to know that my Pixel 4 XL has the latest updates and that I'm not waiting weeks, months or even years to receive what in most cases is a vitally important security patch or software update. My Samsung Galaxy Tab hasn't received any updates since March 2019. I only use it to play games now as I have 0% trust in it being anywhere near secure enough to even handle my emails. If Samsung would ever just allow Google to update the OS without having to incorporate their UI interface, I might consider switching to a Samsung phone. But, until then, I'll stick with the more secure Pixel.

That is a common argument in the tech community without any apparent statistical evidence to back it up. What studies have shown that Pixel phones have been less vulnerable to attacks compared to Galaxy Note or S phones (or other flagship phones)?

BB10Clifton

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I have enjoyed the Pixel 3xl, haven't used the Pixel 4 but now I have been using the Note 10+ for 2 months now and wow I am now a Samsung fanboy! I have it set up mostly with Google in the driver's seat; Google assistant, Google maps, Google photos and Samsung in the passenger seat; Bixby monitoring my work stuff, Samsung S notes and BlackBerry's Hub Inbox for emails and wow this phone is awesome! The only thing I miss with the Pixel is Google screen call when telemarketers call me. Other than that I'm enjoying the S pen, big 6.8in screen, big battery, wide angle camera, and the 91% screen to body ratio design. I recommend this phone!!

Last edited:

BB10Clifton

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
It's all up to if you like just pure android. No One UI. Its actually not bad. It can get a bit boring because in my opinion, they dont have any cool features like the Samsung series or any other android phones, but you get less bugs and you also get updates about once a month. I've been on Android 10 for months now on my Pixel and Samsung's are just starting to roll out with Android 10 on top of their One UI 2 update. But since I have a carrier version Note itll be a bit longer for the update.

I transitioned too from the BlackBerry passport but to the Pixel to Samsung Note. I can't look back now! Espwith ONEUI on the 12GB Note 10+. Wow!!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
So far the note series has been keeping up with the security patches. Will that last, who knows. Pixels are great, but so is the Note series. A lot of reviewers and tech fans will say the note 10 is the best phone on the market. Not many would say that about any Pixel. Camera, stock android and updates is what pixel fans always point to. Well the note has a great still camera, and its shots aren't "doctored" as much as the pixel's Also the video recording (sound) on the note is far superior IMO.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
So far the note series has been keeping up with the security patches. Will that last, who knows. Pixels are great, but so is the Note series. A lot of reviewers and tech fans will say the note 10 is the best phone on the market. Not many would say that about any Pixel. Camera, stock android and updates is what pixel fans always point to. Well the note has a great still camera, and its shots aren't "doctored" as much as the pixel's Also the video recording (sound) on the note is far superior IMO.
Yep. Agree about the better "still" camera. Much better than pixel actually and the video, can't even compare. Note 10+ wins by a long shot.

Note 10 is a much better complete phone and won't be surprised if it snatched the best overall phone of 2019 across many tech reviews. It's a beast.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

So...My Note 10+ got the December Security update on December 1st....My Pixel 4 XL got it on December 11...does that make my Pixel less secure?

one reason that stands out for me as to why I will always choose the Pixel over the Samsung...updates. With all the hacking and cyber attacks going on today, it is extremely important to me that my phone's operating system and apps get updated as soon as possible.

Then can you point to a Samsung flagship phone that has been hacked like you mentioned?

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
A long time iPhone user, I switched to Android (Samsung Galaxy) about 4 years ago. I was tired of Apple's lack of phone design innovation and their attitude re control. It took about 3 months to mentally settle in to Android. I became disenchanted with the Galaxy, esp the sloped screen sides which were too sensitive and frequently generated erroneous screen input AND the fact the Galaxy did not reliably work with texting . Then I bought a Pixel 3XL. What a difference. Loved the camera, head and shoulders above the iPhone and the Galaxy. Stayed with Pixel into 4XL as well. Several years into Android, I have to say that despite the user ability to control things, almost daily there were 4-5 instances where being on Android was just annoying. Not necessarily huge things, but everyday I experienced small issues that required extra effort to achieve the result I needed or desired. This is not to mention the issue of texting with a family (and much of the world) who are all using iPhones and aren't happy about you texting from Android. When iPhone 11 came out, with a much improved camera (and I'm a serious professional photographer), I just decided to get one and re-experience Apple. Once back on a platform where things work seamlessly for the most part and the camera was really good again, I sold my Pixel 4 and haven't looked back. No phone manufacturer or OS is perfect, but as much as Android has improved, for me it just wasn't worth the chronic low level annoyance everyday. So I'd answer the original question, Pixel is better, but with the caveat that for me, iPhone (and the Apple OS) trumps even the Pixel for the quality and responsive mobile experience I desire. Just my two cents having used them all.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463