Unable to download images from web

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Im not sure what's going on but if i were to search for an image through google, long press the image so the prompt "download image" appears, i hit download, the download arrow appears at top of phone and says "download complete" but the image is nowhere to be found on my phone. None of the folders in the gallery have it, the file manager doesn't show it. Im not sure what is going on. My LG V30 when i did this would save it to the download folder and it would be immediately available.

Am I doing something wrong?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does the web browser (or Google app if you're going through that) have the STORAGE permission enabled? If not that might be why it's not saving.

Nofear01

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Im not sure what's going on but if i were to search for an image through google, long press the image so the prompt "download image" appears, i hit download, the download arrow appears at top of phone and says "download complete" but the image is nowhere to be found on my phone. None of the folders in the gallery have it, the file manager doesn't show it. Im not sure what is going on. My LG V30 when i did this would save it to the download folder and it would be immediately available.

No, you aren't. Its just Google being Google. They will download into a temporary folder (I cannot remember where right now). I thought I was doing something wrong. I changed my settings so that when I search on Google it opens the results in the browser. If you open the chrome web app, then search for your image, it will download to your gallery.

Hope this makes sense.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

It should of left a little banner download complete if you tap that should take you how you want to open ?
Check again in files manager under downloads or system files

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I agree with SpookDroid. The Google app comes by default with the Storage permission disabled and you need to enable it manually. No idea why they decided this was a good idea.

steve1279

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes a banner appears and I can goto the image but i can't do anything with it and it just shows there and not anywhere in my gallery.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes a banner appears and I can goto the image but i can't do anything with it and it just shows there and not anywhere in my gallery.
Ok then something must of changed, try long press chrome then tap Info scroll to permission see if storage is allowed and same in Google app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, you aren't. Its just Google being Google. They will download into a temporary folder (I cannot remember where right now). I thought I was doing something wrong. I changed my settings so that when I search on Google it opens the results in the browser. If you open the chrome web app, then search for your image, it will download to your gallery.

Hope this makes sense.

FYI, the "just Google being Google" part is what was discussed later in this thread -- that if you use the Google app (not Chrome) to download an image, that image won't be accessible to the user unless you turn on Storage permission for the Google app in Settings>Apps. (Unclear why the Storage permission is off by default -- that's what I would consider Google being Google.) Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this as well. Once you turn on Storage permission, anything you download using the Google app is easily accessible in the /Download directory.