What has happened to my battery

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I used to get 8hrs of screen on time...now a dramatic drop..why? What can I do?
d9c9b56f141d3b0b1bd97f2c682b3eb0.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It'd be helpful to see what the cell signal strength is like throughout the day, since poor cell signal can eat up battery. Use GSam Battery Monitor to get a better idea of the signal strength.

Stealthieone

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
It'd be helpful to see what the cell signal strength is like throughout the day, since poor cell signal can eat up battery. Use GSam Battery Monitor to get a better idea of the signal strength.
My cell strength is horrible but it's always been horrible and I was still getting 8hrs of sot

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess one question would be how horrible? If the signal strength was bad before, but has now become markedly worse, that could still be a reason. The signal bar icon on the status bar isn't the most accurate. That's why an app like GSam can be helpful, since it can report the cell signal strength with somewhat more granularity. (Then again, it might not help that much, since we wouldn't be able to compare it with a measurement taken before the problem started to happen.)

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Cell signal has nothing to do with battery drain. And even so it can't eat up that much. Samsung phones are known to have random battery drain for weeks at a time. YouTube it.

Xxwabbit

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Cell signal is definitely my problem. I live on the outskirts of city. My property sits in a little depression. When I go into shop, phone goes between 3g and 1x with no wifi and I have to step outside to call. If I stay in shop 12 hours, I will have to top off battery and that's hardly any sot. However, my house sits on a little bluff on same property and I get 4g w/2 bars and wifi, but battery can last 2 days.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe you're actually questioning if it's been in the sun? Sure let's move the sun lol. No problem.

Not everyone lives in a very sunny place or use their phone outside most of the day.
I get nearly double SoT when here in cloudy grey Ireland compared to bright sunny Spain

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use auto brightness as well but the phone will override that if used outside in bright light, location is a battery zapper as well but not as bad as it was just a few years ago.

Im sure its because of my weak cellular signal. If im at home the entire day and on wifi(airplane mode but wifi on) the battery could give 7 hours to 9 hours SOT...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cell signal has nothing to do with battery drain.

Are you saying that poor cell signal in general doesn't contribute to battery drain, or that in your situation, you're sure the cell signal isn't a problem? It's clear that poor cell signal can cause increased battery use as the phone tries to latch onto a weak signal, so I would dispute a claim that poor cell signal has nothing to do with battery drain.

I can't believe you're actually questioning if it's been in the sun? Sure let's move the sun lol. No problem.

This is not that outlandish a question. If a phone has been in direct sunlight for a while (and therefore heating up), that could impact the battery life as well. This can especially be seen when the phone is in a car mount on the windshield on a hot sunny day.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
poor cell signal can cause increased battery use as the phone tries to latch onto a weak signal
It's actually "as the phone increases its transmitting power, because a weak signal at the phone means a weak signal at the tower.

This is not that outlandish a question. If a phone has been in direct sunlight for a while (and therefore heating up), that could impact the battery life as well. This can especially be seen when the phone is in a car mount on the windshield on a hot sunny day.
And because having the phone n the sun, automatic brightness or not, means that the screen is going to be turned up, one way or another (automatically or manually.

And 1/4 of the OP's battery use is the screen, so that's probably a large part of the problem.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Are you saying that poor cell signal in general doesn't contribute to battery drain, or that in your situation, you're sure the cell signal isn't a problem? It's clear that poor cell signal can cause increased battery use as the phone tries to latch onto a weak signal, so I would dispute a claim that poor cell signal has nothing to do with battery drain.

Exactly.. extreme temperatures will wear battery down no questions

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It's actually "as the phone increases its transmitting power, because a weak signal at the phone means a weak signal at the tower.

And because having the phone n the sun, automatic brightness or not, means that the screen is going to be turned up, one way or another (automatically or manually.

And 1/4 of the OP's battery use is the screen, so that's probably a large part of the problem.
Ok but how many people leave there phone in direct sun light for hours on end? Not many? Cell signal doesn't have a major impact. Samsung phones are known for random draining as I've personally experienced it myself. There's a YouTube video on it. YouTube it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007