Depreciation

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Going to use the Note 10+ as an example here..

Why do our phones depreciate so much and so fast?

Kind of irritating to see Apple phones hold there value for so long, yet they are sometimes years behind on specs & hardware!

Uniform, timely updates are important, but next years iPhone is expected to see 6 gigs of RAM. We'll still have double!

What gives!?

leerandall

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
So many people are trading their phones for new ones all the time, there's always a glut of used phones on the market, driving resale prices down.

wbcolon

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There 100's of different android phones in all price points. Apple has a handful of models. The market is just flooded with android devices. I sold my s10+ 512gb for 250.00 less than I paid for it. It was only 2 months old.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Kind of irritating to see Apple phones hold there value for so long, yet they are sometimes years behind on specs & hardware!

Uniform, timely updates are important, but next years iPhone is expected to see 6 gigs of RAM. We'll still have double!

What gives!?

True... My 3 months old N10+ which I bought for USD$1200 is valued at USD$928...

Whereas my wife's previous USD$1428 iPhone X 256GB which is 2 years old is still valued at USD$642...

As for your What Gives question... My N10+ can do more than my wife's current USD$2000 iPhone 11 Pro Max...

But if you can live with the boring IOS and you usually use your phone for 2 years or more, i would recommend iPhones...

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it because of demand.

Specs doesn't mean anything to your average iPhone user.

Apple never mentions how Pixels nor the size of the Battery. It just works.

I can't comment on performance, how it slows down because I upgrade every 4-6 months but take the iPhone 7 I got from my boy. It handles Asphalt 9 easily than my recent purchase (of out boredom) Galaxy A70, where the game is unplayable. Explain that.

My point is it shows how iOS is more stable and I guess why one would spend more money on a used iPhone.

As much as I love and prefer android because of Nova Launcher Prime if I was given a choice I would pick iPhone but I have both Note 10+ and iPhone 11 Pro Max so I'm good. LOL

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Let's be honest usually you can get a galaxy device cheaper than an iphone of the same price especially with a trade in promo. Bothers me none since I usually don't sell my phones. Also take in to account that most iphones are on a 2 year cycle in terms of substantial differences. Hell you can't tell the difference between the orginal x and the 11 pro until you turn them aground to the back.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
So many people are trading their phones for new ones all the time, there's always a glut of used phones on the market, driving resale prices down.
There 100's of different android phones in all price points. Apple has a handful of models. The market is just flooded with android devices. I sold my s10+ 512gb for 250.00 less than I paid for it. It was only 2 months old.
I've had quite a few Android devices, but the S10+ I'm using now is my first Samsung device. I just chose it now, since it had the most features that appealed to me. The fact that there are so many choices of Android devices is a good thing to me. I'm able to stay in the Android ecosystem, no matter which OEM I happen to get. I'm not thinking about selling my current device, which I got 2 months ago, nor am I looking at getting another device at this time, even though this one is paid off.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't help that Samsung will do half price on some of their brand new models the week they come out or buy one get one free deals.

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Lucky you. I couldn't even get anyone interested when I put up my unlocked TMobile s10+ 128gb for $500.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
My Note 9 8/512gb that had a list price of 1299 at launch is up for sale at 550 and haven't sold.
I only bought it in July/August and used it for 6/7 weeks until I got the Note 10, goes to show how prices drop

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site

What gives!?

The price of any commodity is essentially a function of supply and demand. Demand for a product also involves its perceived and actual values. iPhones are perceived to have higher value and are in much lower supply.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Android has inherently more churn or turnover created by OEMs, Carriers and Retailers at the various sales points. This is simply a function of everyone’s needs to sell new devices in the sales model.

Why do certain brands of cars not hold their resale value? Same concept. If you have new widgets constantly dropping on the market for X price new, then demand and scarcity doesn’t exist at same level for used models.

Apple/iOS has controlled this since the beginning due to it’s design and development model on the front end and it’s sales model on the back end. Everything Apple does is a closed and controlled loop ecosystem. Not just the device or the OS but the entire distribution model. Even that Apple is behind Google aspect is part of that. Y’all don’t really think iOS doesn’t have the same features capabilities at same time as the Android side. Seriously, Apple just controls the release of the features so it’s not cutting it’s own throat unlike Google who uses the competition between OEMs to move it’s volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2