Will RCS be rolled out globally to Samsung's stock app?

Nofear01

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
I am based in the UK and only use the stock messaging app, if I was able to completely delete it, I would switch to Google Messaging. I don't want unnecessary duplicates on my phone.

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
I have it in my S10, however I did participate in the Android 10 version beta program and not sure if it was available on Pie. My S8 doesn't have RCS messaging but some do and some don't. I haven't worked out the reason why, yet. I tried Google Messaging and it is a huge battery drain so I uninstalled in on the S8. I'm sure it will hit the Note series, probably when 10 rolls out. Using the stock app and chat features, I have no issues with battery drain.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am based in the UK and only use the stock messaging app, if I was able to completely delete it, I would switch to Google Messaging. I don't want unnecessary duplicates on my phone.

Which RCS?

Doesn't Samsung use their own version/profile of RCS for Samsung to Samsung messaging in the Samsung messages app?

Nofear01

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Which RCS?

Doesn't Samsung use their own version/profile of RCS for Samsung to Samsung messaging in the Samsung messages app?

I haven't noticed anything different with their stock app. I thought Google was implementing their RCS with all Android phones now?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I haven't noticed anything different with their stock app. I thought Google was implementing their RCS with all Android phones now?

via the Google Messages app. AFAIK, RCS support via Google's Universal Profile will only be available in Google's Messages app.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I know on the US version Samsung carriers have RCS on the stock message app , unlocked in the US don't . I'm not sure If it's the same outside the US .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know on the US version Samsung carriers have RCS on the stock message app , unlocked in the US don't . I'm not sure If it's the same outside the US .

But is it Google's RCS profile or Samsung's RCS profile?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Carriers/Samsung RCS
It's different from Google .

If it doesn't support the universal profile completely, it isn't full RCS. Verizon Message+ is partially RCS compliant because it doesn't fully support the universal profile.

Samung's stock messaging app supports RCS, but it relies on the carriers support. Not all carriers are fully RCS compliant yet (like I mentioned about Verizon). If your carrier has implemented the RCS universal profile, then the Samsung Messages app will have RCS chat capabilities.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it doesn't support the universal profile completely, it isn't full RCS. Verizon Message+ is partially RCS compliant because it doesn't fully support the universal profile.

Samung's stock messaging app supports RCS, but it relies on the carriers support. Not all carriers are fully RCS compliant yet (like I mentioned about Verizon). If your carrier has implemented the RCS universal profile, then the Samsung Messages app will have RCS chat capabilities.
I don't think any of the carriers have universal yet , but like I mentioned US unlocked don't matter which carrier you use you won't have RCS , that's why I've been using Google for that feature.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I don't think any of the carriers have universal yet , but like I mentioned US unlocked don't matter which carrier you use you won't have RCS , that's why I've been using Google for that feature.
Right now, none of the major US carriers fully supports the RCS universal profile. Verizon, I think, is the closest. If you are Verizon, unlocked or not, and use its Message+ app, you get RCS chat features as long as everybody else is using it and are Verizon subscribers.

The US carriers are collaborating to implement full RCS support by the end of 2020. When that happens, it won't matter whether you use Google messages, Samsung's stock app, or the carriers' app, we'll all be RCSing to our hearts content.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right now, none of the major US carriers fully supports the RCS universal profile. Verizon, I think, is the closest. If you are Verizon, unlocked or not, and use its Message+ app, you get RCS chat features as long as everybody else is using it and are Verizon subscribers.

The US carriers are collaborating to implement full RCS support by the end of 2020. When that happens, it won't matter whether you use Google messages, Samsung's stock app, or the carriers' app, we'll all be RCSing to our hearts content.
Can't wait until that happens :)

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, and going thru them will probably be an extra fee like there used to be for sms. ;)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There also used to be no intercarrier MMS - you could only sent media to people using the same carrier you were.

It takes a while for new technologies to become universal.

(I don't think they'll charge extra for RCS, though - they seem to be getting away from nickle and diming customers to death. We used to get limited voice, per-text charges, incoming and outgoing, etc. We haven't seen that in a long time. And US carriers, at least, all have unlimited data plans. Even some of the MVNOs are increasing their data allowances.)

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
(I don't think they'll charge extra for RCS, though - they seem to be getting away from nickle and diming customers to death. We used to get limited voice, per-text charges, incoming and outgoing, etc. We haven't seen that in a long time. And US carriers, at least, all have unlimited data plans. Even some of the MVNOs are increasing their data allowances.)

That's because everything is all data now; this includes SMS, MMS, and voice. This will probably affect those with tiered data plans more than people with unlimited data plans. The carriers won't have to charge a separate fee for RCS. They will just charge users on tiered data plans extra when they go over their limits. The other option would be to increase prices for everybody to offset the cost of the extra data being used by customers.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's because everything is all data now; this includes SMS, MMS, and voice. This will probably affect those with tiered data plans more than people with unlimited data plans. The carriers won't have to charge a separate fee for RCS. They will just charge users on tiered data plans extra when they go over their limits. The other option would be to increase prices for everybody to offset the cost of the extra data being used by customers.
Carrier love to put fees no matter which plan you have ,if they could .

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Sprint supports it.. I've had rcs in samsung messages for 3 years... And I've been texting ppl with rcs that has Google messages

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac