Blind Smartphone camera test MDKHD

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Here it is the top 16 smartphones of 2019 head to head in a blind test. The test was voted on by 6 million people! There was 2 million twitter voters and 4 million Instagram voters.

Here is the video with the results! Spoiler alert! Note 10 wins!

https://youtu.be/KxsFat1ImiY?t=5

Last edited:

T2996420

Aug 29, 2019
Visit site
I can attest to the huge differences between my note 9 and Note 10+.....I'm amazed at how well the Note 10+ performs with a grab from pocket and click photo.....thanks for sharing!

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm impressed by the note 10+.

I have used the pixel 3a, 4, OP7P.

The OP7P was not great. Not bad, but definitely noticeable.
In 99% of situations the rest are only a ball hair different.

As usual the main differentiator is behind the camera.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
That note 10 plus camera is a bad mutha..shut ya mouf. I'm talking about Samsung 😁
Stunning pictures I've been taking. Seemed to get better and better since August.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Considering that pretty much all phones and most point and shoot cameras have small sensors, I'm not surprised at all that people don't like short depth of field images. The majority of smart phone users have only known small sensor cameras, and therefore don't understand the artistic affect of bokeh.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with his assessment. My Pixel 4 takes way better pictures of people than my Note 10+. The faces are smoothed to the point that there's no detail. If my kids move at all the picture will be blurry. None of this happens on the Pixel. Now video is another story.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Depends. In general Pixel 4 is better, but Note 10 can take better looking pictures in daylight. I prefer HDR effect of Note 10. Wide angle cam is the reason I use Note mainly, I wish it was better with faces and moving objects....sometimes its unusable

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the pixel does a better job with people and moving subjects but the note 10 is the better overall camera system on Android devices. IMO

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'd watch, but MKBHD just irritates me for some reason. Actually, most phone reviewers irritate me now. I'm glad to see the Note 10 wins without having to watch!

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with his assessment. My Pixel 4 takes way better pictures of people than my Note 10+. The faces are smoothed to the point that there's no detail. If my kids move at all the picture will be blurry. None of this happens on the Pixel. Now video is another story.

The face smoothing can be turned off.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
The face smoothing can be turned off.
No it can't. With beauty mode and scene optimization off it still does it. It's just the way Samsung processes it's photos. Samsung is known for this since way back. It's how Samsung was able to get decent photos in lower light situations vs other smartphones. Your average smartphone user likes this which is why Samsung keeps doing it.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If you watch the video he explains why/how people chose how they did and you can see that the Note really is not the best.

I have the Note 10+ and yes it is versatile and video is very good but honestly I am disappointed with it, detail is definely smoothed/smudged and it also does not do good if there is any movement in the scene at all. I think the hardware is the same as the S10/10+ which in turn was the same hardware as the S9/9+ so I am guessing that they try and keep the ISO as low as possible so set the shutter speed as low as possible, and the smoothing is just noise reduction.

That is my theory anyway. The hardware on the P30 is better and it shows, the hardware and software on the iPhone is also better and lastly Google just has better computational photography than Samsung.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The most important part of any picture taken is from behind the camera.

Tried most of the current crop of "flagships". I'm more than happy with the wee Note 10+ camera.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
No it can't. With beauty mode and scene optimization off it still does it. It's just the way Samsung processes it's photos. Samsung is known for this since way back. It's how Samsung was able to get decent photos in lower light situations vs other smartphones. Your average smartphone user likes this which is why Samsung keeps doing it.

I suppose the women of Instagram love it. I hate that it seriously misleads the way people look on dating profiles.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon