01-14-2020 06:20 PM
34 12
tools
    I need advice! Please help!
    So basically I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the Note 10+ or wait for the Note 11. I've carried a Note 5 for 4 years now, and apart from the crappy storage and battery life, I like it a lot. But I know it's time for an upgrade and the latest Note is what I want, without a doubt. However I've been hearing how 2020's phones are going to be so good (such as the S11 rumors, and potentially the Note later) and the higher refresh rate and better camera seem really tempting. Obviously I'm paying a ton of money so I want it to be good for a few years at least (BTW the Note 10+ is $300 off this week so it's tempting as well). Any advice?
    01-01-2020 08:15 PM
    I need advice! Please help!
    So basically I'm not sure whether to upgrade to the Note 10+ or wait for the Note 11. I've carried a Note 5 for 4 years now, and apart from the crappy storage and battery life, I like it a lot. But I know it's time for an upgrade and the latest Note is what I want, without a doubt. However I've been hearing how 2020's phones are going to be so good (such as the S11 rumors, and potentially the Note later) and the higher refresh rate and better camera seem really tempting. Obviously I'm paying a ton of money so I want it to be good for a few years at least (BTW the Note 10+ is $300 off this week so it's tempting as well). Any advice?
    Waiting means you will be paying premium for the latest device (Note 11). So if money is not an issue and you don't care about $300 discount on Note 10+, then I guess wait. That said, Note 10+ is the best that Samsung has made. And I am sure the Note 11 will be even better and the Note 12 will be ever better and better. I think you got the point lol.
    01-01-2020 08:27 PM
    Thanks! You're absolutely right! And I've always hated this logic, I mean there's always something better coming around the corner. Also had I not heard the rumors about the higher refresh rate and the insane camera, I wouldn't have though about waiting.
    Now money may not be a huge issue, but still I'm not looking to upgrade my phone every year. Again, I've been carrying a Note 5 for 4 years and I'm perfectly happy. I just think I'd be really frustrated if I was stuck with a Note 10 for a few years when suddenly most phones have high refresh rates and great cameras.
    01-01-2020 09:14 PM
    Not to mention the note 11 is a long way off, if they keep to the same pattern of releases. Can’t imagine the note 11 being out before fall of 2020.
    garberj likes this.
    01-01-2020 09:29 PM
    Thanks! You're absolutely right! And I've always hated this logic, I mean there's always something better coming around the corner. Also had I not heard the rumors about the higher refresh rate and the insane camera, I wouldn't have though about waiting.
    Now money may not be a huge issue, but still I'm not looking to upgrade my phone every year. Again, I've been carrying a Note 5 for 4 years and I'm perfectly happy. I just think I'd be really frustrated if I was stuck with a Note 10 for a few years when suddenly most phones have high refresh rates and great cameras.
    You're carrying a Note 5 for 5 years because you probably replaced the battery. You most likely won't keep your next device quite as long because replacing the battery is a bit more complicated. In any event if you can wait for the 11 series or whatever they decide to call it you may as well wait. Not so much for refresh rate but maybe the camera and 5G, especially if you think you will keep it beyond 2 years.
    garberj likes this.
    01-01-2020 09:53 PM
    Not to mention the note 11 is a long way off, if they keep to the same pattern of releases. Can’t imagine the note 11 being out before fall of 2020.
    Yup that's true! In fact, if I want to wait for some kind of a deal (Like the $300 off I'm getting on the Note 10 right now) I'm gonna have to wait until Black Friday or Boxing Day, so that's a year from now..
    01-01-2020 10:21 PM
    You're carrying a Note 5 for 5 years because you probably replaced the battery. You most likely won't keep your next device quite as long because replacing the battery is a bit more complicated. In any event if you can wait for the 11 series or whatever they decide to call it you may as well wait. Not so much for refresh rate but maybe the camera and 5G, especially if you think you will keep it beyond 2 years.
    Believe it or not, I've never replaced my Note 5 battery! Even though I have to charge it twice a day now after 4 years.
    Now to be honest I don't care enough about 5G and I can take the super insane camera or leave it, but I was excited about the refresh rate, do you think it's not worth it?
    01-01-2020 10:25 PM
    If you plan on keeping this new phone for 5 years, then you will want to get 5G phone, keep in mind that you will have to replace the battery in that time frame. If not, don't worry about 5G right now, it's early in the game for 5G and you have a couple years at least before its a major player. Take the discount and don't look back.. There will always be something new coming out
    adegbenroagoro and garberj like this.
    01-01-2020 10:32 PM
    To add to what I Said previously. You should wait until the S11 is out (or may be called S20). That will give you TONS more clarity on what is in store for Note 11. I think at a minimum a more advanced camera and higher refresh rate are eminent. So might be worth waiting. OR get a used NOTE 10 now and trade it in with Note 11 hehehe
    garberj likes this.
    01-01-2020 10:47 PM
    Believe it or not, I've never replaced my Note 5 battery! Even though I have to charge it twice a day now after 4 years.
    Now to be honest I don't care enough about 5G and I can take the super insane camera or leave it, but I was excited about the refresh rate, do you think it's not worth it?
    If the Note 5 is still holding on you can wait. You could also get something used to tide you over for until next year and if you pick the right device you might be able to recoup your expense on a trade in. You really have a lot of options. Even if you bought a Note 10 now you could certainly trade it in next year if something extraordinary is released.
    I'm sure the higher refresh rates are nice but they aren't noticable for everything you're running. Even in cases where the refresh rate is noticable unless you do a side by side it may not matter to you buts that's subjective. Keep in mind a higher refresh rate is tougher on battery life and in turn longevity but you seem to be ok with charging when needed.
    01-02-2020 12:25 AM
    If you can still use your N5. Why not wait for Note 20? My point is, it depends on what you really need. For myself my N10+ is the 2nd longest lasting phone i use. So far so good except for the battery life.
    garberj and Casey Cheung like this.
    01-02-2020 03:17 AM
    If money isn't a huge issue then just get the Note 10 plus now with the 300 discount and then upgrade again at the end of the year when prices have dropped a bit if the N11/N20 is to tempting.
    That way you will have the best of both worlds and worst case scenario, you really only risk a couple of hundred in loss of buying/selling
    garberj and Apple2Droid like this.
    01-02-2020 03:42 AM
    Live the moment!
    garberj and TodaySteve like this.
    01-02-2020 04:19 AM
    if you wait for the latest, you will never get a new phone. You have at least 10 months before the new note. the decision is yours
    Apple2Droid and garberj like this.
    01-02-2020 04:40 AM
    If you wait for anything, wait to see what the S 11 brings to the table, that will give you a good idea what to expect. As some has said, the camera will probably be the main improvement, and if that's the case I would do it now. A lot of the new stuff now days are just what I call gimmicks, like 3D scanning, neat, but how often the majority users going to actual use it, you play with it once and the WOW effect is over, and Samsung pushed that feature hard in the release presentation.

Guess what I'm saying, you will always be wondering if you should wait for the next version. The updates are getting to be more and more just minor tweaks.

I say pull the trigger and get the note 10 version you want. If you get to the note 11 and it's all that and a huge improvement, which I'll be surprised, then get the note 11. Samsung usually does a pretty good trade in, last year you could get up to $600 to trade in, so it could be a $300 difference to get both. My suggestion, keep your note 5, that may be on the list that you can trade in. On the note 10, we were able to trade in the note 4 for that. I traded the S5 for $450 thru Verizon. They usually have good trade in programs on new releases.

I for one am kind of jealous of you. You're going to be coming from the note 5 to the note 10. That's going to be a huge improvement, it's going to blow your mind the differences, it's not going to be a baby step improvement, and you got to skip the note 9, which wasn't a bad phone, but to me it wasn't great, specially the display. I was disappointed in it myself, glad I got rid of it. I can't say that about the note 10 or S10, the display is amazing.

Reward yourself for sticking with the note 5 all this time, you've earned it.
    garberj likes this.
    01-02-2020 05:38 AM
    Note 5 to Note 10? Upgrade now you will be happy

Note 11 is another 8 months away so if you want to wait that long then yes Note 11 will be better than Note 10.
    garberj likes this.
    01-02-2020 10:55 AM
    Note 11 might be better then the note 10, the upgrades have been pretty small lately
    garberj likes this.
    01-02-2020 10:57 AM
    The Note 11 won't be out for nine months, at least. A new shiny device is always around the corner. Why wait?
    01-02-2020 06:03 PM
    If you plan on keeping this new phone for 5 years, then you will want to get 5G phone, keep in mind that you will have to replace the battery in that time frame. If not, don't worry about 5G right now, it's early in the game for 5G and you have a couple years at least before its a major player. Take the discount and don't look back.. There will always be something new coming out
    I don't necessarily plan to keep it for 5 years, but I'm aiming for 2-3 years at least. I only kept the Note 5 for 4 years because it was perfect for me. But yeah I'll probably do as others have helpfully suggested; get the discounted 10+ now and trade in if something extraordinary comes out later this year..
    01-05-2020 01:05 AM
    To add to what I Said previously. You should wait until the S11 is out (or may be called S20). That will give you TONS more clarity on what is in store for Note 11. I think at a minimum a more advanced camera and higher refresh rate are eminent. So might be worth waiting. OR get a used NOTE 10 now and trade it in with Note 11 hehehe
    Haha that will certainly work, I was just at loss because the 10+ is on sale this week only, otherwise I would've definitely waited for the S11/20..
    01-05-2020 01:07 AM
    If the Note 5 is still holding on you can wait. You could also get something used to tide you over for until next year and if you pick the right device you might be able to recoup your expense on a trade in. You really have a lot of options. Even if you bought a Note 10 now you could certainly trade it in next year if something extraordinary is released.
    I'm sure the higher refresh rates are nice but they aren't noticable for everything you're running. Even in cases where the refresh rate is noticable unless you do a side by side it may not matter to you buts that's subjective. Keep in mind a higher refresh rate is tougher on battery life and in turn longevity but you seem to be ok with charging when needed.
    Gotcha! Thanks for the advice!
    01-05-2020 01:11 AM
    If you wait for anything, wait to see what the S 11 brings to the table, that will give you a good idea what to expect. As some has said, the camera will probably be the main improvement, and if that's the case I would do it now. A lot of the new stuff now days are just what I call gimmicks, like 3D scanning, neat, but how often the majority users going to actual use it, you play with it once and the WOW effect is over, and Samsung pushed that feature hard in the release presentation.

Guess what I'm saying, you will always be wondering if you should wait for the next version. The updates are getting to be more and more just minor tweaks.

I say pull the trigger and get the note 10 version you want. If you get to the note 11 and it's all that and a huge improvement, which I'll be surprised, then get the note 11. Samsung usually does a pretty good trade in, last year you could get up to $600 to trade in, so it could be a $300 difference to get both. My suggestion, keep your note 5, that may be on the list that you can trade in. On the note 10, we were able to trade in the note 4 for that. I traded the S5 for $450 thru Verizon. They usually have good trade in programs on new releases.

I for one am kind of jealous of you. You're going to be coming from the note 5 to the note 10. That's going to be a huge improvement, it's going to blow your mind the differences, it's not going to be a baby step improvement, and you got to skip the note 9, which wasn't a bad phone, but to me it wasn't great, specially the display. I was disappointed in it myself, glad I got rid of it. I can't say that about the note 10 or S10, the display is amazing.

Reward yourself for sticking with the note 5 all this time, you've earned it.
    Thanks a lot! I was just trying to make a decision this week since the 10+ is $300 off, otherwise I would've definitely waited for the S11, and yeah I agree with you about the gimmicky stuff, I was only excited about the higher refresh rate and seemingly very improved camera.
    Anyway still a couple of days left until the sale ends but yeah I think I'm gonna go for it! Definitely feels like a reward. Worst case scenario I'd trade in if this year's release really blew me away..
    01-05-2020 01:21 AM
    If you need a new phone then get one, if you can wait then wait. Goes for all tech
    01-06-2020 04:00 AM
    If you need a new phone then get one, if you can wait then wait. Goes for all tech
    When it comes to phones, majority on here don't get new phones because they need a new phone, just saying. Lol
    01-06-2020 05:59 AM
    When it comes to phones, majority on here don't get new phones because they need a new phone, just saying. Lol
    Well that is so true lol
    01-06-2020 07:00 AM
34 12