Waterproof Test

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So for those wondering if their N10 series is waterproof or not can give this a try. Type in *#0*# in your phone dialer. Choose Sensor and there will be Barometer Sensor. Press on your N10 series(on the screen) and the numbers would go above the number which it first shows and after you release the value will go below it then back to the first value.

For example, my Note 10+ shows 1009.96 hPa, when i applied pressure it goes to above 1009.96 hPa, but when i release it will go below 1009.96 hPa then back to 1009.96 hPa.

If thr numbers stays almost the same then it might not be a good idea to get it wet...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200113-214011_HwModuleTest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200113-214011_HwModuleTest.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 29

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
My S7 was in the shower, submerged in a lake and a few streams, and I washed it off on the sink numerous times.

My Note 8 and Note 9 have both been in the shower and washed in the sink numerous times.

I trust Samsungs water resistance and I know it's not covered under warranty.

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
My S7 was in the shower, submerged in a lake and a few streams, and I washed it off on the sink numerous times.

My Note 8 and Note 9 have both been in the shower and washed in the sink numerous times.

I'm "allergic" to my phones getting wet 🙂

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So for those wondering if their N10 series is waterproof or not can give this a try. Type in *#0*# in your phone dialer. Choose Sensor and there will be Barometer Sensor. Press on your N10 series(on the screen) and the numbers would go above the number which it first shows and after you release the value will go below it then back to the first value.

For example, my Note 10+ shows 1009.96 hPa, when i applied pressure it goes to above 1009.96 hPa, but when i release it will go below 1009.96 hPa then back to 1009.96 hPa.

If thr numbers stays almost the same then it might not be a good idea to get it wet...
I'm not so confident that the testing method you're using provides qualitative results with regard to water resistantance. Even if it was, the water resistantance factor would certainly be dependant on the type of exposure and duration.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so confident that the testing method you're using provides qualitative results with regard to water resistantance. Even if it was, the water resistantance factor would certainly be dependant on the type of exposure and duration.
Of course, but this does seem to be a test to check that your seals are intact and there are no cracks that will let air (water) in.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Of course, but this does seem to be a test to check that your seals are intact and there are no cracks that will let air (water) in.
Sorry if I'm being technical but I wouldn't rely on it as a verification to determine if seals are intact. Odds are that it will maintain water resistance as long as the seals and adhesive are in place. I don't plan to deliberately submerge my phone nor do I recommend it. The most I'll ever do is let it get wet if I need answer it or look at it in the rain or if I need to rinse it off. Even then I will try to minimize it.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Sorry if I'm being technical but I wouldn't rely on it as a verification to determine if seals are intact. Odds are that it will maintain water resistance as long as the seals and adhesive are in place. I don't plan to deliberately submerge my phone nor do I recommend it. The most I'll ever do is let it get wet if I need answer it or look at it in the rain or if I need to rinse it off. Even then I will try to minimize it.
I'm not suggesting that you submerge your phone. All Im saying is that it might be useful to know if your phone failed this test, revealing a vulnerability that means extra care should probably be taken. If you don't care to know, that's fine with me too.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not suggesting that you submerge your phone. All Im saying is that it might be useful to know if your phone failed this test, revealing a vulnerability that means extra care should probably be taken. If you don't care to know, that's fine with me too.
I just think that they will all pass unless the device has been opened up or damaged. Even a bad seal might pass because you are applying pressure. I just don't think it qualifies as a go, no go test.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

That's about 29.8241 inches of mercury pressure (what we're comfortable using in the US), and if it's a sunny day, that means that the pressure inside the phone is less than the pressure outside the phone (normal sea level air pressure at 15°C should be about 1013.25hPa - water pressure at the surface will be the same, but below the surface will be higher - and running water, like from a faucet, will be a lot higher - a normal sink runs about 2,068hPa [30psi] pressure).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Wow! Those are some next-level tests, indeed!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's about 29.8241 inches of mercury pressure (what we're comfortable using in the US), and if it's a sunny day, that means that the pressure inside the phone is less than the pressure outside the phone (normal sea level air pressure at 15°C should be about 1013.25hPa - water pressure at the surface will be the same, but below the surface will be higher - and running water, like from a faucet, will be a lot higher - a normal sink runs about 2,068hPa [30psi] pressure).

Nice information but home water pressure in my area for a single family home is typically 40 to 45 psi and is often between 40 and 60 psi depending on devices installed. So my advice to anyone rinsing their phone is avoid full throttle and avoid aiming it at the ports.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Basically, if you spill water on the table the phone is on, and it oozes toward the phone, don't panic. If it's raining lightly, don't panic. But don't "wash" the phone.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You never fail to amaze me. Seriously im not joking. Always very detailed and technical... But 1 question. Is my phone normal? I mean is the hPa value normal?