IPhone 11 Pro to Note 10+

aibocyrus

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
Hey all,

So I am highly considering switching from my iPhone 11 Pro over to the Note 10+. I am curious if this is a good idea or not. To give you all some idea, i do use a MacBook and an iPad Pro currently in addition to my iPhone. How would the Note 10+ work with these devices? What are some of the pros and cons of switching? I’ve enjoyed the simplicity of iOS but I’m constantly having issues in typing, screen control, etc. for example, i hate iOS keyboard, I don’t even use the keyboard on the iPad. I have a Smart Keyboard for it so I don’t have to mess with the keyboard at all on the iPad as i feel its terrible on iOS period. Ive tried downloading the google keyboard but had the same issues. Another example of issues I’m having is when i swipe left or right, the phone will lag and then ill get the screen as if I did a pull down gesture and it will take several tries to get that screen to go back up and out of the way of what i am trying to do.

I know, I know... first world problems. But I’m sick of it. It’s constantly happening and has turned me off of iOS. Anyways, I look forward to your responses. I am also curious how you guys like the camer. I have taken some really amazing photos on my iPhone and just want the camera to be as good if not better on the galaxy. Thanks for your input!

-Cyrus

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, this is always a tricky question. So, rather, what are things you just LOVE to do on your iPhone that you would miss if they're not there on Android? The Note 10 is a beast, but the move from iOS to Android can be a daunting experience if you haven't used the OS in a while.

The phone will work with your Mac just fine, BUT that depends on what you need to use it for. iMessage is the one thing most iUsers miss (and with reason, it IS one of the best selling features of the Apple ecosystem), so that's out. For the same reasons, texting from other devices requires a little more work from a Note (i.e. using Google's messaging app so you can text via a web browser on other devices or using Samsung's Flow to sort of kinda do it on computers without a browser). You're no longer restricted to iOS/MacOS transfers, so BT, WiFi and USB are all options now to transfer data to other devices.

The camera is awesome. But there are areas where the iPhone shines and there are others where the Note reigns supreme. I'd suggest taking a look at the myriad of camera comparisons and reviews to give you an idea, and just going to a store and try it out. (Slow Motion shots, to begin with, are way better on iPhone, so if those are your thing, expect HD-only slow motion without the slow-down audio effect).

And as a friend told me once, Android's customization options are also what makes it so overwhelming to switch to. So bear that in mind: you WILL have options. A Ton of them. That isn't always a good thing.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones and prefer the iPhone. The typing is way better, the app selection is better, the app Quality is better too. I like that all the photos I've ever taken are just synced, never having to worry about backing them up or loading them. Android is much better then it was but iOS is still way more polished if you ask me.

Hghlndr

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the platform... so been a Mac user myself since '85. Not a tablet user but a phablet user having had Notes: 3, Edge, 5, 8, & 10+! Never worked with iOS as found it quite restrictive and to small screened. Obviously that's changed... though am into Samsung.
Samsung and Mac did play better until last year though after SideSync was dusted for Samsung Flow, so was the Mac connection. There are still ways to connect the platforms...
If you use Chrome on your Mac your bookmarks will show up on your phone; if you use Safari then you have a few hoops though you can export them etc... but who uses bookmarks that much anymore?! Samsung's browser is great too.
If you heavily used Siri, you will like Google assistant after some time not sure if Bixby will hook you. Not me...
You on VZ? If so check out their Messages+ as it's been my go to messaging app for last 2 years and there's a Mac app. Samsung's OEM has gotten better too. I'm for trying what the manufacturer installs first before deleting or adding others.
Google apps and all they have to offer plus the play store apps are great. Read reviews and for the most part you'll find what works for you.
Camera? As I said I haven't snapped with an iPhone though android and Samsung have come a long way.... used to be an amateur photographer in the 70/80s with Canon and all the gear.
Digital cameras on phones have leaped in the last years though your art, lense framing, shutter/ASA, and understanding of light will always influence the picture. Samsung, Apple, Google, Huwei, etc whomever; it'll always come down to: "one man's art is another's..."
Finally it'll also come down to where/how you store data. You ensconced in Apple's cloud? It's complicated to get to another cloud. Samsung's is easy when changing to another Samsung. Google makes it easy as well... just like Apple. Google it....
Amazon cloud if your prime will keep your original pixels intact for your pix otherwise free Google cloud will compress.
iPhoto and iTunes got your pictures and music on your Mac? No worries... Again Apple music's android app is your friend for streaming and your library of music; Google or Samsung for listening to your library on the phone or SD card. Want the pictures on the phone? Copy them on the SD card! Easy peasy.
Oh one last thought... make sure to disconnect your iMessage account if you're keeping the same number. Google it, as it had impact on your text messages.
Yes, it's a good idea... good luck and have fun! Peace

Last edited:

aibocyrus

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys! I wanted to thank you all for your input. I had the opportunity this evening to change to the Note 10+ 5G if i so desired.... and well... i went for it. I figured it was worth at least trying it out to see if i liked it or not. So far I’ve had the phone and been using it heavily( because I’m trying to transfer everything from my iPhone to the note now) and i am liking it. Jumping around between apps is very easy. Different than iPhone, but simple and smooth from what i have seen so far. I have taken a couple test photos, some up close of my Beta fish, and one night mode shot with the lights off in my room tonight, and though I wasn’t too impressed with the photos of my fish, i was very impressed by the night mode.

hghlndr, thank you for telling me, too, about amazon photos. I am a prime member so i am going to go ahead with amazon photos as my cloud backup application so I don’t lose out on quality. I did get the iMessages signed out of and turned off on my phone. I don’t use iMessaging on my ipad so nothing needed to be done there... i do have factime still turned on, however, on my ipad. Will this cause an issue with receiving calls?
I am on VZ and i will check out the messages+. There really is only one downside i am seeing right now to this phone and that is that my partner has an iPhone, does not get cell service at their house, only WiFi, and doesnt want to have to download a secondary app for texting. Which i totally get. It would be annoying to have to have an app just to text one person. We do both use WiFi calling, so that will be fine. And we can still FaceTime if they are home with me using my ipad. Which also does have cell service on it, so if i absolutely had to, could take the ipad with me. And if there was ever a time i needed to text to get ahold of them, i could always log into iMessage on my ipad or MacBook if i absolutely had to.

I did do a lot of digging before i decided to make this choice to try out the note 10+. A lot of comparison reviews. A lot of just note 10+ reviews. A lot of camera comparison reviews, stats, etc. a lot of them came to the same conclusion that overall, the note 10+ was the better of the two phones, but the iPhone won almost every time in the camera and OS fluidity.

In my opinion, i looked a lot at people’s posts of their photos, and the quality looks great to me honestly. I’m not a professional photographer, so I don’t really notice small differences in overall quality. Also, the stabilization that i saw was built into the Note 10+ for videos really impressed me, so i look forward to video capture on the go!

Again,

Thank you guys all for taking the time to write your thoughts in regards to my questions. Everyone was very thorough and i appreciate that as well as the honesty from everyone. Very nice community here. I definitely plan on sticking around. I will post some tests photos here tomorrow and maybe do some photo comparisons with my 11 pro vs the 10+ myself to see if there are any huge differences in person.

Bkdodger1

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the Note family ...I currently use both phones and I always find myself going to the Note more for my everyday usage ..example is split screen two apps running is great ...customization is key too ! Pop in with more thoughts as you get used to Note ...ask us if anything you may need we are here for ya ...

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
I have both phones and prefer the iPhone. The typing is way better, the app selection is better, the app Quality is better too. I like that all the photos I've ever taken are just synced, never having to worry about backing them up or loading them. Android is much better then it was but iOS is still way more polished if you ask me.
Every photo syncs with Google photos on Android.

goji26

Mar 10, 2018
Visit site
You don't need to use Amazon photos. Google photos is already installed in your Note. Open the app and set your preferred sync settings. After that all of your photos will sync automatically.

Jameseld82a

Jul 11, 2019
Visit site
I was 50/50 on getting either the iPhone 11 Pro Max or the Note 10+ 5G.

As I use an iPad Pro 11 Inch I was swaying slightly more towards the iPhone but then as soon as I used a Note 10+ plus I knew that was the phone I wanted.

I've had it 4 days now and am absolutely in love with it. Don't get me wrong the iPhone is a great phone but the screen on the Note is so immersive :)

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I think Google messages now with RCS support texting on wifi. You can make it default messaging app and that should solve your problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't need to use Amazon photos. Google photos is already installed in your Note. Open the app and set your preferred sync settings. After that all of your photos will sync automatically.

But Google Photos, unless you want the back up to 'use up' your quota (which, to be fair, that's how it works on iCloud), compresses the pictures and loses the original quality (not a big deal, that's how I use mine). Amazon's service, for now, backs up full quality without counting towards a quota.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There really is only one downside i am seeing right now to this phone and that is that my partner has an iPhone, does not get cell service at their house, only WiFi, and doesnt want to have to download a secondary app for texting. Which i totally get. It would be annoying to have to have an app just to text one person. We do both use WiFi calling, so that will be fine. And we can still FaceTime if they are home with me using my ipad. Which also does have cell service on it, so if i absolutely had to, could take the ipad with me.

My ex had an iPhone and terrible service at his place, so I thought texting over WiFi wasn't an issue on iPhones? Only thing he had to do was activate something so that he could use SMS (not just iMessage) from his computer/iPad, but once we figured that one out, he stopped trying to get me to switch to the blue side (your partner might still be annoyed by the ugly-on-purpose green bubbles, though).

If you both have WiFi calling, however, that should clear any issues with texting as well. Like I said, iMessage is the one thing that 'borks' most converts, and a lot of it has to do with the rest of your iFriends/iFamily...

Oh!!!! And once it's finally updated to support Android 10 (in theory sometime in February), download GoodLock!!! Especially the Multitasking plugin...makes things sooooo much better and will have you using floating windows for quick replies and handling your phone much better than before!

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm of course expected to say get the Note 10 plus 5G because I have one :)
BUT.... With both Macbook and iPad the iPhone is probably the best over all choice for you...
Still... Maybe try it and see if you can live with both ecosystems

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have both as well and feel iOS is great but it's in need of a serious upgrade. It's so behind in many ways. Notifications Management is horrible, Sound Management is horrible, call Management is horrible and file Management is horrible. iPhone 11Pro definitely takes better photos but it's not far better and is pretty subjective. iPhone also has better video capabilities/options but quality wise both are great.

I don't rely on Apples ecosystem since I use Google Photos and Google Drive as my main cloud platforms and is easily accessible from all devices. I don't use iMessage to sync between my iPad and Mac so that doesn't matter to me as well.

At the end of the day it really comes down to your personal preference and iOS can't be my primary for my needs. Again it's great for what it is but just not for me.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
😂😂😂Had to start with a laugh. My daughter called and said dad I want to switch to the iPhone 11 pro.
I said you'll regret it.

A week later she's very disgusted. I told her you're not going to like it.
Right to the point. No need to go into any of her complaints.

She calls and says how do I get the note 10 plus? I said return the iPhone to Our carrier and get whatever phone you want. She was so happy in getting the Note 10 plus. She says she will never get another iPhone ever.

I've always said it. Android, you just get to do more with them. And with Samsung fixing the lag issue, you just can't go wrong.

I have a iPhone 6s I got from a yard sale new about 6 months ago brand new still in the box. Paid 25 bucks unlocked..

That's how far I'll go to get into Apple.
It still gets the updates.
That's one good thing about Apple.
I'll still rather wait for updates than have a phone I can't customize and multitask with.
With the Note 10 plus, it's just more!!

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
In the matter of a week I went from an iPhone xR that I had for a year to a Pixel 4, then the Note 10 and now the Note 10 Plus. I think I'm fine now.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
If you like the seamless hand off of your iPhone with the iPad, then keep the iPhone 11 Pro. I just recently replaced my iPhone 11 Pro Max and Apple Watch Series 5 with a Note 10+ 5G and Samsung Watch Active2 and I don't regret it; however, I don't have any Apple products so I don't need to worry about the seamless hand off.

aibocyrus

Jan 28, 2020
Visit site
With all the tools that there are now such as Google apps to sync photos across devices with a bit of work I think I'm fine. I've found there's always a way lol. I really am liking the phone so far.
Haven't found much use for the pen yet. But I'd like to get into multitasking for sure!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With all the tools that there are now such as Google apps to sync photos across devices with a bit of work I think I'm fine. I've found there's always a way lol. I really am liking the phone so far.
Haven't found much use for the pen yet. But I'd like to get into multitasking for sure!
Even if you dont use the S pen often, you can write on the screen with it while off ,jot down a note ,phone number and later view it in S notes , even shopping items to write down . It's there if you need and tucked away if you dont . Also acts as a selfie stick put phone down some where take photos bluetooth pen .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy