Why does Shop Samsung need access to my Contacts?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I noticed last night upon opening the Shop Samsung app that I was signed out. Started to sign in again, but received a dialog box asking for access to Contacts. Chose the Deny option, but if so then there does not appear to be a way to use the app as a signed in user; just as a Guest.

Since I've purchased a few things over time and have some points, would like to access that information. I imagine that I could achieve similar via the Samsung website.

Maybe a long time ago I granted access to Contacts, and have forgotten. Question still remains, why does Shop Samsung app need access to my Contacts, and why can't I sign into the app unless allowing access?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's a important app as you can schedule appointments for warranty on your device , place call to troubleshoot or account information that's why it needs those permissions.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It's a important app as you can schedule appointments for warranty on your device , place call to troubleshoot or account information that's why it needs those permissions.

I remember there was a brouhaha about this some months ago in a thread, but couldn't remember why they actually wanted access.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Their link sharing does the same thing. It also asks for permission to make or manage phone calls. What does sharing a file have to do with making a phone call?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz