Are cloud services worth the money?

Do you still use Cloud Storage?

• Total voters

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Can you organize your photos on Google One drive or is that just fine through Google Photos? I am specifically talking about pics backed up from your phone.
I suppose you could if you moved your photos to Google Drive. Mine back up to Google Photos. I don't believe you can directly backup to Google drive. Google separated the two services last year to make it simple for users. Wasn't an issue for me so I didn't pay attention to the details.

I create albums in Google photos though. Some are shared and some are just mine. Google does an amazing job with search so when I want to find a group of photos it's pretty easy.

I'm still going to work on getting them all on an external hard drive though and organized into folders. It's more of a peace of mind thing.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Do those of you that use OneDrive, do you actually like it or is it because Samsung switched to OneDrive for photo backups? For me it's because of Samsung's switch. I actually don't like it very much. Mainly because I find the app to be really ugly and dated.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Do those of you that use OneDrive, do you actually like it or is it because Samsung switched to OneDrive for photo backups? For me it's because of Samsung's switch. I actually don't like it very much. Mainly because I find the app to be really ugly and dated.

I use it because I get 1TB of storage with my Office 365 subscription. The app isn't anything special, I admit, but on Android the background uploads work very reliably and it picks up new folders very quickly (can't say the same for OneDrive on iOS--anymore). I haven't set up the uploads through the Samsung Gallery app, since there's no need to fix what isn't broken.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
With so much storage available on my note 10+, I don't really use any off my cloud services any more. Does anyone else still use their cloud services, and how?

I have the 256g model w/a 128g memory card
i switched from google drive (the app stopped working after the last update) to OneDrive and have less than 900mb of storage for documents...

I subscribed to MS 365 because of children and office products. Got 1TB per account. Can't beat it. Again, BAKCUP BACKUP BACKUP. I also have NAS cloud at home as well.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've used it for a few years now. At first it wasn't a lot just because I was so tied up in Google Drive, but then I've slowly migrated over and I like it. It had nothing to do with Samsung. I just find it works well with both my Note and laptop. Somehow it seems to have a little more continuity between the two devices. That's not to say it was lacking on Google Drive. I do have Office 365 for both home and at work so that probably plays into it as well.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I've used it for a few years now. At first it wasn't a lot just because I was so tied up in Google Drive, but then I've slowly migrated over and I like it. It had nothing to do with Samsung. I just find it works well with both my Note and laptop. Somehow it seems to have a little more continuity between the two devices. That's not to say it was lacking on Google Drive. I do have Office 365 for both home and at work so that probably plays into it as well.

Yeah, I use a Mac so that probably doesn't help. I just don't like it for some reason.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I use a Mac so that probably doesn't help. I just don't like it for some reason.

I use both windows and Mac actually. OneDrive actually works quite well on the Mac. I was actually very surprised. I’m new to Mac so I’m still learning, but I am continually surprised at how well Microsoft products work. I’m sure there may be some missing features that windows has, but for what I do it’s been great.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
What's confusing is that the subject line, the poll question, and the poll answers all address different questions. Whether cloud services are "worth the money" is not the same as whether I use them, which in turn is not the same as whether I "still" use them. And whether I have "all the storage I need" is different from all of those questions.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I guess the question is about the value of cloud storage (worth it?). The value to me is cross platform multiple device access to my files, and backup in a safe off-site location.
I have Office365 which also gives me 1T OneDrive storage. I usually load up my phone with plenty of on-device storage capacity, but this has nothing to do with the use of cloud storage - for the reasons stated above. In other words, I'm not using cloud storage because I'm running out of room on my phone.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I pay for Google one, OneDrive and iCloud for various reasons. Google one is my primary cloud service, OneDrive get work discount on office 365 plans so buy that, and iCloud stuff for iOS device and mainly because family has Apple devices and use iCloud family sharing. Personally don't trust Samsung services, I prefer mostly Google or Microsoft. Apple getting better ever year and use it on their devices.

kigmatzomat

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have multiple backups. I use google to backup photos at lower res. Dropbox (paid 2TB) has all full-quality photos, music, docs, etc.

My laptop syncs to dropbox which then syncs with a NAS that has RAID1. The NAS has a second partition that has no users with write access, and a nightly job copies the first instance of every file from the user partition to the backup partition.

So even if a virus/ransomware manages to infect dropbox and my user NAS section, the non-writable NAS partition will have all my photos and the first incarnation of all my documents.

My wife's syncs to dropbox too, and her laptop has a tiny thumbdrive where her "Documents" folder is copied nightly. Even if her laptop is destroyed, move that thumb drive over to another box and she's running in minutes.

Can you tell I've had hard drive failures and a friend was hit by ransomware?

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I use both windows and Mac actually. OneDrive actually works quite well on the Mac. I was actually very surprised. I’m new to Mac so I’m still learning, but I am continually surprised at how well Microsoft products work. I’m sure there may be some missing features that windows has, but for what I do it’s been great.

Yes, I have on drive app for all my devices, so everything will go to it whatever device you're using. I love it.

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
What's confusing is that the subject line, the poll question, and the poll answers all address different questions. Whether cloud services are "worth the money" is not the same as whether I use them, which in turn is not the same as whether I "still" use them. And whether I have "all the storage I need" is different from all of those questions.

Not confusing...the majority of cloud services cost money, right? So, those who still use cloud services would pay and probably answer yes to the poll, those who feel that it's not worth the money...don't pay and probably don't use cloud storage. but in all that time spent attempting to correct, you never answered the question...or any of them for that matter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513