Are cloud services worth the money?

Do you still use Cloud Storage?

• Total voters

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
With so much storage available on my note 10+, I don't really use any off my cloud services any more. Does anyone else still use their cloud services, and how?

I have the 256g model w/a 128g memory card
i switched from google drive (the app stopped working after the last update) to OneDrive and have less than 900mb of storage for documents...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have that much storage (mine is a Pixel 3 XL with 64 GB), but even if I did, I would still use Google Drive or some other cloud storage. The main reason would be to keep important data safely backed up somewhere -- there's no guarantee that my phone won't suddenly fail for some reason (or get damaged), and if I only had that important data saved on the phone, that'd be a problem. A secondary reason would be convenience of access across multiple platforms (Chromebook, PC, etc.).

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I prefer to have backups of backups of backups. Several years ago I lost everything I owned in a fire. All I had left was the clothes I was wearing and my phone. I had music I'd been collecting since I was a kid. Photos of family and friends, some of whom are no longer here, collectibles that weren't worth anything to anyone but me, etc.Those were the things that mattered to me losing. Not the material things. That's all replaceable. If I would've had at least the photos and music backups through various means including cloud services I would still have them. At least digitally.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I keep multiple backups. I have backups locally on an external HDD. Plus I have backups on both Google Drive and OneDrive. I've never lost anything, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
so what cloud services do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I use Backblaze for my MBP as my main cloud backup for everything. I also have paid iCloud Drive for my iOS specific stuff. Samsung has pushed me into OneDrive for auto backup of photos, but I preferred Samsung's backup service. I do still do backups to my MBP using Smart Switch. Google Photos is really the only Google cloud service I use regularly. So lots. LOL I also have portable hard drives in a fire safe.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Drive exclusively. If I had to consider other cloud storage, I'd probably go for OneDrive and/or Box.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use multiple always , my work phone stores suppliers, customers ,book keeping stuff so its important they can get backed up in various places in case something goes wrong.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I use both Google Drive and One Drive, I'm not very organised about it but I like the security about not losing pictures etc

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Between the free storage of Google, Amazon (if you have it), Samsung (if you use one) and a slew of others, back up important things!

debsawyer

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Drive as my main backup, and OneDrive as my second backup. Cloud services are a necessity. It's better to be backed up than sorry!

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Mega gives you 50GB of storage for free. Otherwise I use Google Drive and it makes it a lot easier to change phones. I also back up to an external ssd.

Shelacios

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I use OneDrive for my personal and work files. Google Drive and Google One for my organizations and associations. Dropbox, Google photos and Flickr for photos and the Dropbox also holds my phone backups.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a 512gb Note plus a 256 gb SD card and I still absolutely use cloud storage. Let me me clear, I don't even come close to using that 768gb of storage on my phone.

I do use Google drive and OneDrive extensively. I've shifted to OneDrive for almost everything, but still have an organization that I use Google drive for. I also back up photos to both Google photos and OneDrive. I'm working on organizing all of my photos on an external hard drive like I used to years ago, but I'd still keep cloud backups.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I use OneDrive and Google Drive (for email and photos). I back up my photos and what not to both. I also use a macbook and iPhone, so I do have some icloud storage as well. For my macbook, I use idrive because it was a cheap replacement for crashplan when they left the consumer market. I'll be getting rid of that though since it's not necessary anymore.

I would absolutely never recommend sticking with physical hardware for your data and not have a backup plan. If your phone is lost, stolen, corrupt, bricked and you don't have your data stored somewhere else, you're hosed. At this point, they are all pretty much the same, just cost difference. With the OneDrive base plan, you get a terabyte of storage for pretty cheap, Microsoft has made a ton of improvements lately, one of my favorites is versioning. You could restore your entire OneDrive to a previous date or restore at the file level.
so what cloud services do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Drive and Google Photos for everything. I don't rely on phone storage or micro sd cards. I pay 9.99 a month for 2TB which suits my needs. Even use it accross my other devices.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I use the cloud regularly for sharing files with people and between my phone/PC.

I do not use it for back ups, I prefer to back my files up at home.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a 512gb Note plus a 256 gb SD card and I still absolutely use cloud storage. Let me me clear, I don't even come close to using that 768gb of storage on my phone.

I do use Google drive and OneDrive extensively. I've shifted to OneDrive for almost everything, but still have an organization that I use Google drive for. I also back up photos to both Google photos and OneDrive. I'm working on organizing all of my photos on an external hard drive like I used to years ago, but I'd still keep cloud backups.
Can you organize your photos on Google One drive or is that just fine through Google Photos? I am specifically talking about pics backed up from your phone.

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I use OneDrive (via official app) to backup full-res pics and important files.

I use Google drive to backup all pics (including shared nonsense) in "high" res as well as device data.

I use Samsung Cloud to backup device data, but no pics.