Someone talk me out of getting a S20 Ultra

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I saw the price and said no way. Then I started watching reviews. Big mistake. The 10x optical zoom really intrigues me. A lot!

Ive had Notes for a long time. Use the S-pen some but not a lot. Mainly for writing notes.

Samsung is giving 700 trade for the Note 10+ and 200 credit for accessories. After taxes I paid 800 for the note 10+, so it would be like I rented it for 6 months for 100 bucks.

I know there will always be something better around the bend, but damn I like the camera. The 100x sky zoom seems cool, but it seems like you need a tri-pod to get really good pics with that. It's the 10X optical that would make me buy it.
Note 20 will have that and more.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
It's just money. lol

Buy the S20 Ultra, enjoy it for a few months and sell it when the Note 11 Ultra comes out.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
If Spen is not important, this year Sony Xperia 1 mark II looks very promising and interesting than S20. I am addicted to note series since note 2. If there is no note my first option is pixel and now followed by Sony Xperia Mark II.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
For some people that's true

But from a financial view point, isn't that a waste of money? I mean unless you are trading in a recent device, you end up paying a down payment, having the phone for 6 months, do the same thing..and at that point, you've paid enough to own a device in full, but the person owns neither. Idk, just wondering.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But from a financial view point, isn't that a waste of money? I mean unless you are trading in a recent device, you end up paying a down payment, having the phone for 6 months, do the same thing..and at that point, you've paid enough to own a device in full, but the person owns neither. Idk, just wondering.
To some it's not, and it's your choice if you want to upgrade and use your current device to trade in to get almost half off or wait another year and do the upgrade maybe little less value towards trade in at that time .

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
To some it's not, and it's your choice if you want to upgrade and use your current device to trade in to get almost half off or wait another year and do the upgrade maybe little less value towards trade in at that time .

I guess you are right..just have to weigh the pros and the cons.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I thought the lol stated that it's crazy.

I spent about $1,200 on my Note 10+ after the trade-in and right now it looks like I will get only $900+ so clearly losing $300+ on a phone only 7 months old isn't smart.

I'm still not 100% on the Ultra...

Who am kidding. LOL I do like having an International version for the first time, DUAL SIM and it's nice that I saved $350 buying it here in the Philippines. I will sell the Galaxy Buds+ when I get back to Canada.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought the lol stated that it's crazy.

I spent about $1,200 on my Note 10+ after the trade-in and right now it looks like I will get only $900+ so clearly losing $300+ on a phone only 7 months old isn't smart.

I'm still not 100% on the Ultra...

Who am kidding. LOL I do like having an International version for the first time, DUAL SIM and it's nice that I saved $350 buying it here in the Philippines. I will sell the Galaxy Buds+ when I get back to Canada.

You must be getting the 512GB version? I had the Note 10+ 256GB and got 700 trade in, and got the 128GB Ultra for a total of 700. I can add another 256GB SD card for 30 bucks to get close to the 512GB storage. So overall I "rented" the note 10 + for 100 bucks for 6 months )paid 800 for it trading in my Note 8)

Nadoori

Dec 14, 2019
Visit site
note 10+ ticks all the boxes for me except for headphone jack, which the ultra also doesn't have it. as for the cameras, the only upgrade I see is zoom capabilities and 8K video. you already bought a 1k phone, why buy a newer galaxy phone which has similar features and iterative upgrade? also the base storage of the ultra is a downgrade compared to note 10 plus. personally I would wait at least two years before I think of an upgrade

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Wasting money depends on how much you make and how much you can afford to spend. If it doesn't impact the person spending it financially and it makes them happy, there's nothing wrong with spending it. Besides it stimulates the economy.

There are a lot worse things people can do with their money. Granted, there are people who spend beyond their means, but I don't judge how people spend money because it's their's to spend.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wasting money depends on how much you make and how much you can afford to spend. If it doesn't impact the person spending it financially and it makes them happy, there's nothing wrong with spending it. Besides it stimulates the economy.

There are a lot worse things people can do with their money. Granted, there are people who spend beyond their means, but I don't judge how people spend money because it's their's to spend.
Exactly, I agree !

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Exactly, I agree !
It's kinda like how I don't understand when my wife or daughter want a Louis Vuitton handbag or wallet. In my mind I can justify spending 1000 or 2000 on a handbag. I can't even fathom spending over 100 dollars on a handbag. It's what they enjoy though, and if it doesn't break me I'll buy it for them because its brings them joy.

You....I feel sorry for though with all those women in the house

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's kinda like how I don't understand when my wife or daughter want a Louis Vuitton handbag or wallet. In my mind I can justify spending 1000 or 2000 on a handbag. I can't even fathom spending over 100 dollars on a handbag. It's what they enjoy though, and if it doesn't break me I'll buy it for them because its brings them joy.

You....I feel sorry for though with all those women in the house

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
There is already an issue with the highly touted camera system that Samsung made a big deal about - it deals with focusing when taking video, and also when taking video and stills. Samsung is working on a fix but who knows when that will come and frankly, the phone not even out yet and there is already a fix in the works. This would **** me off to no end. I had one of those Note 9s that had a camera crashing issue that affected only some people, and it was not fixed until about half a year after the phone launched with a fix. So, the QA done of their cameras of the S20 you would think would have been rigorous, but I think it's poor QAing in Samsung lately.

The Note 20 will probably come out in 6 months.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
There is already an issue with the highly touted camera system that Samsung made a big deal about - it deals with focusing when taking video, and also when taking video and stills. Samsung is working on a fix but who knows when that will come and frankly, the phone not even out yet and there is already a fix in the works. This would **** me off to no end. I had one of those Note 9s that had a camera crashing issue that affected only some people, and it was not fixed until about half a year after the phone launched with a fix. So, the QA done of their cameras of the S20 you would think would have been rigorous, but I think it's poor QAing in Samsung lately.

The Note 20 will probably come out in 6 months.
Sounds like you should wait for the note

TOFC

Dec 29, 2019
Visit site
Personally I dont expect a phone to be perfect with no software issues whatsoever, look at the iPhones with ios 13 and all the issues that have been fixed, the fact that samsung are fixing the issue is more important to me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21