Someone talk me out of getting a S20 Ultra

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, I've looked at the ultra, it's a great phone, just like the note 10 is. The next note will be also. I personally like the ultra not being as wide, it fits in the hand so much better. Cost wise.. If you think the ultra is expensive, the note will be also. I'm betting the option of getting one without 5G will be gone. That's part of the reason the S series are more expensive, they all are 5G. The note 5G version was higher priced also.

Go to a store and play with one... The 120 refresh is noticable, and the note fans will be saying that when the note has it. Also, research the rumored next screen for the note. If you don't like the curve screen, the next note screen is looking to be more curved, almost wrapped around the whole side. No buttons, touch sensors on the side. That sounds like a case nightmare. Plus, the hole punch for the front camera will be hidden in the screen. I buy both phones, I'm buying the ultra. If that new screen does show up for the note 20, I'll wait and see on that before buying it. I don't think you will regret buying it

Fast-T

Nov 6, 2017
Visit site
It seems like a great phone. But I'm waiting to see what the Note is like this yr. The features on the S20 Ultra, there will probably be a Note version of it with additional features. I'm waiting.
I believe they want a restocking fee for phones returned?

Guru

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I hate to do this to a flagship, but you asked for it.

The phone is not as wide as a Note 10+, which means the measurements for this phone are kinda misleading. I prefer my phones to be wider than taller. If you compare this phone to a Note 10+. which I did on Friday, the note 10+ has a bigger viewer screen in landscape mode from top to bottom than side to side. And that's important because when we watch media, we look at the center not on the sides, so expanding the screen out left to right in landscape mode is not that important really.

No new software update. It's still Android 10, same as the Note 10+, Gpu and CPU are only marginally better at best. I dare you to compare a game on both and tell me that there is a huge difference. Trade ins, while they help, you eventually lose money by doing it and it is just used to keep you on the hook to pay for the latest and greatest. The most of which, a person really does not need.

The zoom thing is a gimmick, and its cool up until 30x. I had a very hard time keeping the camera steady and focused at 100x and half the time the pics looked back or like they had watercolors. You will most likely need to buy a tripod which is more money on TOP OF the 1400 that you will spend. Oh speaking of spending money, do you like 45w fast charging? Good, because you will have to pay for that out of pocket as well.

No Head phone jack. No S-Pen, Lousy Fingerprint Scanner(thanks Burwil!) and does not have 3d facial recognition unlock, instead uses selfie camera. 5g is also a gimmick and being that it is so new, may not work as well, or may not even be available in your area. What's the point of having a 5g phone if you can't even use 5g?

Price is absolutely horrible for a new phone. Very expensive. Its really not worth it you just got the s10 series or Note 10+. Do you really want to pay 1400 dollars for a phone that has 700 mah more and just a slightly better cpu and gpu which you probably won't be able to even notice the difference? All that and you can keep your current phone and wait for the Note 20 which probably will be wider, be just as fast, if not faster, and have a battery that will be just as big, if not better. That is what I am waiting for. That's all I can come up with on the fly, but you get the idea.

I 100% agree with the above. I am not interested at all. Wait for the Note 20 and keep your features plus will get you the upgrades you are interested in.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is giving 700 trade for the Note 10+ and 200 credit for accessories. After taxes I paid 800 for the note 10+, so it would be like I rented it for 6 months for 100 bucks.

I .

That right there is good enough reason. The note 20 will have similar trade in. For around the price of one phone a year you get 2, one every 6 months. If you like getting the new gadgets, you're in a good position.

I know I would be doing it just for that reason. Always having the newest features, always under warranty at a fraction of the cost. Take advantage of what you have. The trade ins and promos make preordering a no brainier if you like the new. If you like to keep for awhile, I don't know what to tell you then, except I would expect the note to be just as expensive if not more

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I hate to do this to a flagship, but you asked for it.

The phone is not as wide as a Note 10+, which means the measurements for this phone are kinda misleading. I prefer my phones to be wider than taller. If you compare this phone to a Note 10+. which I did on Friday, the note 10+ has a bigger viewer screen in landscape mode from top to bottom than side to side. And that's important because when we watch media, we look at the center not on the sides, so expanding the screen out left to right in landscape mode is not that important really.

No new software update. It's still Android 10, same as the Note 10+, Gpu and CPU are only marginally better at best. I dare you to compare a game on both and tell me that there is a huge difference. Trade ins, while they help, you eventually lose money by doing it and it is just used to keep you on the hook to pay for the latest and greatest. The most of which, a person really does not need.

They will always have the same OS, so thats moot. I'm not a huge gamer, mainly card and word games, so thats not an important factor.

The zoom thing is a gimmick, and its cool up until 30x. I had a very hard time keeping the camera steady and focused at 100x and half the time the pics looked back or like they had watercolors. You will most likely need to buy a tripod which is more money on TOP OF the 1400 that you will spend. Oh speaking of spending money, do you like 45w fast charging? Good, because you will have to pay for that out of pocket as well.

I already have a tri-pod. Would be getting it for the 10X optical, not the 100x skyzoom. I've seen the examples. I didn't buy the 45W charger for the Note 10+ so why would I get it for this?

No Head phone jack. No S-Pen, Lousy Fingerprint Scanner(thanks Burwil!) and does not have 3d facial recognition unlock, instead uses selfie camera. 5g is also a gimmick and being that it is so new, may not work as well, or may not even be available in your area. What's the point of having a 5g phone if you can't even use 5g?

Like I said. Rarely use the S Pen, mainly for writing notes. The note doesn't have headphone jack either. The note has the same fingerprint scanner and facial recognition. 5G is available but probably won't use it as I don't use much data, mainly wifi.

Price is absolutely horrible for a new phone. Very expensive. Its really not worth it you just got the s10 series or Note 10+. Do you really want to pay 1400 dollars for a phone that has 700 mah more and just a slightly better cpu and gpu which you probably won't be able to even notice the difference? All that and you can keep your current phone and wait for the Note 20 which probably will be wider, be just as fast, if not faster, and have a battery that will be just as big, if not better. That is what I am waiting for. That's all I can come up with on the fly, but you get the idea.

We don't know what the note will bring, its all speculation. Will the camera be just as good? if ti is it will more than likely be the same price.

Last edited by a moderator:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you really want to pay 1400 dollars for a phone that has 700 mah more and just a slightly better cpu and gpu which you probably won't be able to even notice the difference? All that and you can keep your current phone and wait for the Note 20 which probably will be wider, be just as fast, if not faster, and have a battery that will be just as big, if not better. That is what I am waiting for. That's all I can come up with on the fly, but you get the idea.

As pointed out, it's half that he would be spending. And people do exactly that all the time. If you're upgrading once a year, S series or note series, the updates are exactly that, minor tweaks for a lot of money.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I went ahead and made the purchase. Will I have buyer's remorse? We'll see. The camera is what sold it for me (and not the 100X zoom). There were some very valid points here.

I don't use this as a display for watching a ton of media so the argument of watching a movie on a narrower screen than the Note 10+ has no bearing in the decision. If I'm going to watch a movie I'm going to the movie theater or watch it at home on the TV. I don't have a job where I have tv shows or movies playing while I work.

Nobody knows what the note will bring or the price point. I doubt the camera will be better. And who knows what the price points will be.

RedMage36

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
They will always have the same OS, so thats moot. I'm not a huge gamer, mainly card and word games, so thats not an important factor.

I already have a tri-pod. Would be getting it for the 10X optical, not the 100x skyzoom. I've seen the examples. I didn't buy the 45W charger for the Note 10+ so why would I get it for this?

Like I said. Rarely use the S Pen, mainly for writing notes. The note doesn't have headphone jack either. The note has the same fingerprint scanner and facial recognition. 5G is available but probably won't use it as I don't use much data, mainly wifi.

Yes its all android, but my point was there there are different versions of it and most of the time, you only get updates for two years. Why buy another phone that has Android 10 when you have one that is already on Android 10?

Wasn't aware of the fact that you had a tripod, but do you really want to be carrying around a tripod where ever you go? Have you seen the pics at 100x zoom? they are honestly not that great. Samsung should have developed the technology better and left it at 30x zoom instead of doing this and releasing a gimmick.

If you don't even use 5g, then thats more of a reason to not get the phone. Sounds like you would be better off with an actual tablet. As for the job part, people don't just use the phones for media consumption at work, I mean I do, but my point was that if you ever decided to do that, that would be one of the reasons to not pull that trigger.

Well you wanted someone to talk you out of it and I did. At the end of the day, its your money, if you want to waste it then thats up to you. Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted. Would have been nice to know some of these points before I tried to talk you out of it but oh well.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes its all android, but my point was there there are different versions of it and most of the time, you only get updates for two years. Why buy another phone that has Android 10 when you have one that is already on Android 10?

Wasn't aware of the fact that you had a tripod, but do you really want to be carrying around a tripod where ever you go? Have you seen the pics at 100x zoom? they are honestly not that great. Samsung should have developed the technology better and left it at 30x zoom instead of doing this and releasing a gimmick.

If you don't even use 5g, then thats more of a reason to not get the phone. Sounds like you would be better off with an actual tablet. As for the job part, people don't just use the phones for media consumption at work, I mean I do, but my point was that if you ever decided to do that, that would be one of the reasons to not pull that trigger.

Well you wanted someone to talk you out of it and I did. At the end of the day, its your money, if you want to waste it then thats up to you. Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted. Would have been nice to know some of these points before I tried to talk you out of it but oh well.

Sorry, I said "The 100x sky zoom seems cool, but it seems like you need a tri-pod to get really good pics with that. It's the 10X optical that would make me buy it." And what good would a tablet do for me? Is there a tablet with a 10x optical zoom? Unless both my 65" TV's go out my phone will not be a device to watch TV or movies. the only time I would do it for that is if i'm waiting at a doctors office or something. Could I buy a DSLR camera? Sure, but then I have to carry around the camera and all the crap with it if i want to take pictures, and there may be a time when i want to take a pic and don't have the DSLR with me. Thats what is great about modern day phones, you always have a great camera with you, and now its even better with a 10X optical zoom.

I made payments for 6 months on the note, my payments on the S20 ultra will be 2 bucks less a month. Would I do it if i didn't get 700 bucks trade in on the Note 10? Nope. I paid 800 after taxes for the Note 10 and they gave me 700 to take it back, plus 235.00 bucks in accessories, so actually I am coming out ahead if you count the accesories. Maybe i am a fool.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I dont think everyone will carry a tripod where they go nor do I think it's always neccessary to zoom all the way out at all times. When its planned those small gorilla pods work really well to help you stabilize a hand held shot. Taking handleld shots without a pod is not out of the question at all times either, however it's not easy for everyone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I said "The 100x sky zoom seems cool, but it seems like you need a tri-pod to get really good pics with that. It's the 10X optical that would make me buy it." And what good would a tablet do for me? Is there a tablet with a 10x optical zoom? Unless both my 65" TV's go out my phone will not be a device to watch TV or movies. the only time I would do it for that is if i'm waiting at a doctors office or something. Could I buy a DSLR camera? Sure, but then I have to carry around the camera and all the crap with it if i want to take pictures, and there may be a time when i want to take a pic and don't have the DSLR with me. Thats what is great about modern day phones, you always have a great camera with you, and now its even better with a 10X optical zoom.

I made payments for 6 months on the note, my payments on the S20 ultra will be 2 bucks less a month. Would I do it if i didn't get 700 bucks trade in on the Note 10? Nope. I paid 800 after taxes for the Note 10 and they gave me 700 to take it back, plus 235.00 bucks in accessories, so actually I am coming out ahead if you count the accesories. Maybe i am a fool.
The 100X is a fun feature and I wouldn't rely on it at all times, however there a lot of zoom angles between 10X and 100X that are very useful.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
The 100X is a fun feature and I wouldn't rely on it at all times, however there a lot of zoom angles between 10X and 100X that are very useful.

For sure, Ive seen the 100x pics while they are very close up, they aren't the sharpest. It will be fun to fool around with at times. But yeah you won't need a tripod for taking normal pics of to get a good picture. i do see myself using the 5-10X optical zoom quite a bit which you won't need a tripod for. Although i do have one of those mini tripods with bendy legs I keep in my trunk if i ever need to grab it. You can set it on your car, attach it to a fence or whatever.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure the Note 20 will have a camera just as feature rich or better than the S20 ultra and also retain the option to use the S pen as a shutter button for those zoomed in shots, even using a case with a kickstand would be better in some instances than hand held.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
For sure, Ive seen the 100x pics while they are very close up, they aren't the sharpest. It will be fun to fool around with at times. But yeah you won't need a tripod for taking normal pics of to get a good picture. i do see myself using the 5-10X optical zoom quite a bit which you won't need a tripod for. Although i do have one of those mini tripods with bendy legs I keep in my trunk if i ever need to grab it. You can set it on your car, attach it to a fence or whatever.
Those pods make it easier to steady also....I least they do for me.

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
It's too heavy and bulky is reason enough for me... And for the price it should have 256Gb as the base model... Do you people with the Note+'s and interest in the Ultra's plan on keeping it in your pocket all day or do you carry them in a backpack? lol... I'd love to have the Ultras camera but I think the bulk and weight would be uncomfortable to carry around in your pants pocket all day.

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
It's too heavy and bulky is reason enough for me... And for the price it should have 256Gb as the base model... Do you people with the Note+'s and interest in the Ultra's plan on keeping it in your pocket all day or do you carry them in a backpack? lol... I'd love to have the Ultras camera but I think the bulk and weight would be uncomfortable to carry around in your pants pocket all day.

It goes in my inside coat pocket, then my car mount, then my desk or coffee table. Rarely carry it around in my pants pocket. For a few months in the summer you have to suffer. Even the note 10+ is a pain. That's the draw back of a big phone. The ultra weighs 1 ounce more LOL not a big difference. the ultra is narrower than the note 10+ but a little taller. and the ultra is .9mm thicker, not even a full MM and thats because of the camera bump.