Why is Google Messages so limited in terms of customization/features?

seanmwaple

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I like the clean and minimal look of the app but theres very little you can change inside the app. No color changes is a little annoying. Also, you cant change with the swipe function does on a conversation. You swipe left or right and both of them ask if you want to archive the conversation. You cant switch it to have one "delete"? Edge lighting doesnt work with it??? I cant schedule a text?????

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I like Samsung messages better. Scheduling delivery of messages, pinning of contacts, synced text messages on my tab S4. RCS support will be great addition.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's why some use other ones like textra

It's the beauty of Android. Google's is plan and simple and pretty lightweight. But anyone can make something more powerful, more capable (within the limits of the SDK and the Play Store rules).

Why doesn't Google's have extra features beyond what is needed for a minimal messenge app? If you're looking for the real answer, you'd have to ask Google. All we can do here is guess.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's the beauty of Android. Google's is plan and simple and pretty lightweight. But anyone can make something more powerful, more capable (within the limits of the SDK and the Play Store rules).

Why doesn't Google's have extra features beyond what is needed for a minimal messenge app? If you're looking for the real answer, you'd have to ask Google. All we can do here is guess.
I agree.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I used it for years and the only reason I can't go back to it now is that Samsung Messages is the only one supported on my Samsung smart watch *looks* *shrugs*
What do you mean? I use Textra and I'm able to get my messages and answer back on my smartwatch.

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Like above, I'd like different options when you swipe left vs. right on messages - delete vs archive. I'd also like to pin your contact/message thread to the top of the list. Scheduling messages would be a definite added bonus!!

Maher Salfiti

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I used Textra for a long time and had no issues. Loved the customization, but now I'm using Messages (love RCS). The inability to customize colors is not the end of the world, swiping to delete would be great, but again, not huge. To me, the best feature Google could add is the option to display ONLY mobile numbers for my contacts. I don't need their work or home numbers as options. Annoying when you're in a hurry or accidentally hit the wrong number, and the message rejects. One of my biggest peeves, though, is a Samsung thing... No pop-ups!! What's up with that dumb move?!

friguy3

Mar 19, 2013
Visit site
Textra. Everything that is Textra should be messages. Rpt notifications. Group texts with different color bubbles/contact. Mobile number only. Swipe away notification = read. (RCS to Textra is my dream)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34