Take off your cases

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
Like all of us, I slapped a case on my new Note 10+ and was amazed by the phone.

The case I had was a good one. I dropped my phone from about 2 feet and the screen disintegrated.

A local company fixed it in less than 24 hours and i can't tell the difference. Awesome service and thanks to Samsung for making it so repairable.

So I bought a bigger case. One that would keep it safe from a tree falling on it. Really nice case.

So all of a sudden I'm holding a big *** phone in my hand.

I handled that for about 2 weeks. Then I took the case off and started carrying it , handling it, with no case.

Wow. What a great (risky) experience. This phone was meant to be held NAKED.

The screen just jumps out at you with no border.

I'll drop it tomorrow. $300.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Like all of us, I slapped a case on my new Note 10+ and was amazed by the phone.

The case I had was a good one. I dropped my phone from about 2 feet and the screen disintegrated.

A local company fixed it in less than 24 hours and i can't tell the difference. Awesome service and thanks to Samsung for making it so repairable.

So I bought a bigger case. One that would keep it safe from a tree falling on it. Really nice case.

So all of a sudden I'm holding a big *** phone in my hand.

I handled that for about 2 weeks. Then I took the case off and started carrying it , handling it, with no case.

Wow. What a great (risky) experience. This phone was meant to be held NAKED.

The screen just jumps out at you with no border.

I'll drop it tomorrow. $300.
These glass slabs were meant to be used with a case.

In my opinion, as soon as phone construction shifted from plastic frames and backs to metal frames and glass backs , that's when phone design didn't matter much anymore because a $5-20 piece of plastic/rubber is what you'll be holding and looking at.

There are a few exceptions to this such as UniHertz/CAT rugged type phones, or BlackBerry's which refused to adopt the glass back.

When you see a phone design like the Note 10 series, you can just tell that ergonomics are an afterthought. That it's all about making the phone shiny and futuristic looking. Then you see all the YouTube reviews of them holding and using the phone naked (because, well, it's a free review unit, they didn't spend their hard earned cash) and it makes you want to buy it. Then you realize how much you paid for the thing and decide to buy a case because it's just not worth the gamble.

Maybe after two years when the phone paid itself off you can start removing the case because you got most of your money's worth out of it.

Or, only do that when you're in a room that has carpet where dropping it won't do a thing.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's true that some cases hold you back from a true experience with a device. And the Note 10 line has a GORGEOUS back. In fact, I tried really hard to find a case for my S10 that looked like it. And hey, as long as you have a repair plan in order or have device protection, why not use it the way you like?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I use my Pixel 4xp with just a back skin. It is nicer than when in a case, but I have had my s10+ in a case from day one. I think it is because the Pixel is less slippy than the ceramic back on my S10+

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
And the Note 10 line has a GORGEOUS back

I miss the days when most phones had a grippy and sturdy back...

As far as the Note series phones go, the last time that happened was with the Note 4. And that was a while ago.
Also, the materials used back then made the phones lighter to hold, which helped reduce the force of impact if dropped.

I'll take function over form, especially with devices such as cell phones which are regularly abused/dropped.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I miss the days when most phones had a grippy and sturdy back...

As far as the Note series phones go, the last time that happened was with the Note 4. And that was a while ago.
Also, the materials used back then made the phones lighter to hold, which helped reduce the force of impact if dropped.

I'll take function over form, especially with devices such as cell phones which are regularly abused/dropped.

Oh for sure! Glass backs are gorgeous but the risk goes up for day to day use and drops. And being a clumsy person myself, it gets even riskier.

That's one reason why I loved the look and feel of my Pixel 2. It was plastic I believe, but had a smooth finish. I think it held up better in the long run.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
These glass slabs were meant to be used with a case.

When you see a phone design like the Note 10 series, you can just tell that ergonomics are an afterthought. That it's all about making the phone shiny and futuristic looking.

I use a clear skin, no case. I don't think that the Note was designed to be used with a case. I find the ergonomics very good without a case. Of course I completely understand why people use cases. I just choose not to.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh for sure! Glass backs are gorgeous but the risk goes up for day to day use and drops. And being a clumsy person myself, it gets even riskier.

That's one reason why I loved the look and feel of my Pixel 2. It was plastic I believe, but had a smooth finish. I think it held up better in the long run.
Pixel 2 was metal with a painted coating

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
I quit using cases with the iPhone 4s, I buy insurance and enjoy my phones. I will buy a case so I have when when traveling ect, but otherwise, never use em. I have yet to break the glass on any phone, screen or otherwise, and I go through at least 3 phones a year. Its risky, but insurance is there just in case.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Baby steps...

Used to be naked before until I had numerous bad lucks dropping phones. Strange as rarely in the past. Where at one point I dropped my OnePlus 7 Pro, twice.

Anyways, I do use it naked at home and lately outside. The only place I use my Spigen case is at work and at the gym.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
I never used a case until I dropped my iPhone 6+ on a tile floor. Had the screen replaced and used a case since. Although a case didn't help when I was at the gym and my 7+ fell out of my pocket while my headphones where on. I dropped a dumbbell right on it, surprised the screen replacement worked, you could see a convex dent from the dumbbell on the back of the phone.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I recently had a UniHertz Titan for a bit.
Now that's a phone you DON'T need (or want) a case on...

...not like there are any anyways

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I've always used a case. But I'm rocking my note 10 plus naked. I got insurance and it looks Beautiful still..

Maybe I'll carry a clear case in the car. But for now naked it is.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've always used a case. But I'm rocking my note 10 plus naked. I got insurance and it looks Beautiful still..

Maybe I'll carry a clear case in the car. But for now naked it is.

It's a really good feeling, isn't it? And if you have to use a case, at least the clear one will still help retain some of the phone's original beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz