View Poll Results: Will you be getting a 45w charger or sticking with the 25w stock?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 45w. Time is a valuable commodity

9 34.62%
  • 25w. What is a return? ROI? I can wait.

17 65.38%
08-28-2019 05:56 AM
66 123
tools
    They say time is money so does that mean everybody has the 45 charger (which is nearly twice as powerful as the 25w charger) on preorder?

If you're sticking with the stock charger and ordered the Note 10+, why wouldn't you get the charger if you can save a lot time and possibly a get a return with that time just by plugging it in.

Sucks that the 45w chargers are on backorder and won't be shipped until several weeks after getting the Note.
    Attached Thumbnails Time is money so everybody is buying a 45w charger (vs stock 25w charger)?-screenshot_20190817-124437_shop-samsung.jpg  
    08-17-2019 11:40 AM
    They say time is money so does that mean everybody has the 45 charger (which is nearly twice as powerful as the 25w charger) on preorder?

If you're sticking with the stock charger and ordered the Note 10+, why wouldn't you get the charger if you can save a lot time and possibly a get a return with that time just by plugging it in.
    For me it's just not worth $50 bucks. With the 25W I could plug my phone in when I wake up, and by the time I leave in the morning it should be fully charged.
    nonie, Bkdodger1 and Nostromo79 like this.
    08-17-2019 11:43 AM
    For me it's just not worth $50 bucks. With the 25W I could plug my phone in when I wake up, and by the time I leave in the morning it should be fully charged.
    I would think most people have their phones charged at 100% first thing in the morning. Its around 4-6pm (for power users) when you are still doing stuff, running around when you need to charge the phone. Weekends are big too for when you are out and about and need the fastest possible charge possible.

Hey man, I'm trying to sell myself and justify a FIFTY DOLLAR freaking wall charger! lol I need support that its a necessity. I actually used my Samsung Pay points but still I could of bought something else. Na. 45w will save me a LOT of time over the next many years.

I think phone makers have just found a way to make chargers obsolete. Add a few more watts on the next years models. 2018 fast wireless (but really slow) charging pads are nearly worthless (literally $6 on ebay). 2019 Samsung brought 12.5w wireless chargers and now 15w wireless chargers. So offer a 55w charger next year and many people that bought the 45w will upgrade to 55w. lol crazy but good idea.
    08-17-2019 11:51 AM
    I would think most people have their phones charged at 100% first thing in the morning. Its around 4-6pm (for power users) when you are still doing stuff, running around when you need to charge the phone.
    For this reason we carry our charging packs
    Inkdnaija and Nostromo79 like this.
    08-17-2019 11:53 AM
    For this reason we carry our charging packs
    That's really inconvenient. I don't even carry a wallet with me anymore. Ever. I'll do anything not to carry anything with me. You can make things more convenient by having a phone that charges in almost half the time (up to around 75%) as a stock charger and eliminating the need for charging packs.
    08-17-2019 12:02 PM
    I would think most people have their phones charged at 100% first thing in the morning. Its around 4-6pm (for power users) when you are still doing stuff, running around when you need to charge the phone. Weekends are big too for when you are out and about and need the fastest possible charge possible.

Hey man, I'm trying to sell myself and justify a FIFTY DOLLAR freaking wall charger! lol I need support that its a necessity. I actually used my Samsung Pay points but still I could of bought something else. Na. 45w will save me a LOT of time over the next many years.

I think phone makers have just found a way to make chargers obsolete. Add a few more watts on the next years models. 2018 fast wireless (but really slow) charging pads are nearly worthless (literally $6 on ebay). 2019 Samsung brought 12.5w wireless chargers and now 15w wireless chargers. So offer a 55w charger next year and many people that bought the 45w will upgrade to 55w. lol crazy but good idea.
    Don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from. It's just I have so many other means of fast charging (bricks, wireless chargers, car chargers, and battery pack). Granted they won't be as fast as Samsung's 45W charger, but it hasn't been a problem for me yet. If it becomes an issue I'll reconsider, but for now I don't feel it's necessary.
    08-17-2019 12:12 PM
    The charger in the box will charge the phone in about 1 hour and 5 minutes from zero. How much faster do you need? Lol

08-17-2019 12:34 PM
    I would want to see a test on how much faster the 45W charger does it. Does it go 0-100 in 30 min? 45 min? 65 min is pretty damn good for the 25W charger.
    corvette72778 likes this.
    08-17-2019 12:42 PM
    Something to consider is if the phone would even make use of the higher wattage. Most phones and stock chargers are matched, meaning the phone charging rate maxes out the same as the stock charger's output. For example, if the phone accepts 2A max, the stock charger will put out that much as well. If you use a higher rated charger, the phone is still limited to 2A and charging speed doesn't change.

I would wait and let someone else be that guinea pig, then find out if it not only charges faster, but fast enough to justify the price tag. If it hypothetically only saves 5 minutes on your charge time, is it really worth $50 to you?
    08-17-2019 12:42 PM
    Usually I can wake up and put my Note 9 on charge at 6.15am and by 7.15 its charged. It will then go all day/night to 6.15 the next morning with usually around 65-70% battery left, then charge again (normal charge, not fast charge)

I don't think I have a need for 45w charging as the 25w brick should be faster charging than my Note 9 anyways.
    08-17-2019 12:54 PM
    does anyone have a guess as to how long it will take to charge using USB, either attached to a computer or to the car?

Regards.... Steve
    08-17-2019 01:03 PM
    Change speeds depend on what is charging it... Car chargers come in many different configurations.
    08-17-2019 01:20 PM
    Well we've got $150 from Samsung to play with. I already have the new duo pad with the fast charge 2.0 12W charging on the left pad. I'm curious what additional benefit I'll get from the 15W wireless charger.

I think I will use part of my gift certificate on the 45W wired charger though.
    Shelacios likes this.
    08-17-2019 01:21 PM
    No we don't.
    Well we've got $150 from Samsung to play with. I already have the new duo pad with the fast charge 2.0 12W charging on the left pad. I'm curious what additional benefit I'll get from the 15W wireless charger.

I think I will use part of my gift certificate on the 45W wired charger though.
    08-17-2019 01:22 PM
    I won't buy it until I feel I need it. I have a desk job (90%) with a 20 minute commute. With the abundance of wired and wireless chargers I've amassed, I simply have no use for the 45w right now. Not to mention those slim battery packs. I can't think of a situation where I'd be hard pressed for an ultra quick charge. Not even if I'm out of the office all day.
    msm0511 likes this.
    08-17-2019 01:30 PM
    I generally don't have much issue with ending up on the low end of my battery's SOC now. So I don't see much need to upgrade my existing hardware so long as I don't run into issues where my usage while charging it's faster than the ability to charge (only tends to come up in the car occasionally). That said, I did order this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018S...cUvbUpU6606802

I have a similar unit by Anker, but with a QC 3.0 port which I use for travel. It reduces much of the clutter of carrying multiple chargers and since I tend to be in and out of my hotel often, it allows me to maximize charge if I need to before I head back out. I usually wireless charger at home as well, but will plug into a QC charger if some plans come up and I want to boost up really quick before I leave. I'll probably leave this new one plugged in at home while I'm not traveling for the same reason, but will not be part of my typical charging process.
    08-17-2019 01:44 PM
    Lol, you could plug in a 5 watt charger before bed and your phone would be fully charged by morning !
    I ordered 2 45 w chargers (free) from Samsung, but they won't be delivered till Sept , so I bought 1 on Amazon to tie me over , already here waiting for my note 10+
    08-17-2019 02:07 PM
    That's really inconvenient. I don't even carry a wallet with me anymore. Ever. I'll do anything not to carry anything with me. You can make things more convenient by having a phone that charges in almost half the time (up to around 75%) as a stock charger and eliminating the need for charging packs.
    It's pretty convenient for me and my family 🤷🏾
    08-17-2019 02:08 PM
    does anyone have a guess as to how long it will take to charge using USB, either attached to a computer or to the car?

Regards.... Steve
    As mentioned before, car adapters come in a lot of configurations. There are QC and PD chargers available as well as the a legacy USB stuff, which can come in different current outputs.

Computer USB ports also vary. The original USB configuration only required a minimum of 500 mA output from a computer. It was bumped up to 1500 mA with 3.0 with devices like phones. USB C introduced PD so it can vary by a laptop's capabilities.

This article provides a little more explanation:

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...our-smartphone
    08-17-2019 02:20 PM
    I'll be getting the 45w charger with some of the $200. I have access to a charger at work, but always on my phone at home and often need a quick charge before I leave.
    08-17-2019 02:23 PM
    I would wait and let someone else be that guinea pig, then find out if it not only charges faster, but fast enough to justify the price tag. If it hypothetically only saves 5 minutes on your charge time, is it really worth $50 to you?

It should be 80 percent faster through most of the SOC under ideal conditions. I'd expect it to be about the same for the last 10 percent or so though as the physics of the battery would be the biggest limitation. The best use case may be for a quick top up from a low to mid SOC. Typing to the last 10 percent probably won't provide much benefit, if it all.
    08-17-2019 02:33 PM
    It should be 80 percent faster through most of the SOC under ideal conditions. I'd expect it to be about the same for the last 10 percent or so though as the physics of the battery would be the biggest limitation. The best use case may be for a quick top up from a low to mid SOC. Typing to the last 10 percent probably won't provide much benefit, if it all.
    Have you seen any info on the maximum charging ability of the Note 10's? Only once have I seen a phone accept more than the stock charger (the LG G4 was QC2.0 compatible, but was shipped with a standard charger). I'd doubt the Note 10 would accept a faster charge, even if you plugged in a 200W rated charger, as it's the phone that determines the maximum charging rate. I could be wrong, but that's why I said I'd let someone else speed that money and test it.
    08-17-2019 02:41 PM
    One additional thought. My work laptop came with a 65 Watt PD charger. I've used it a couple times on my Note 9. Once during a long afternoon meeting where I knew I would be going out afterwards. Another time, I took my work laptop to log into a meeting from a hotel during a personal trip and totally forgot my USB C cable. While I didn't need fast charging of any kind for my trip, it was kind of handy to be able to do this. With the Note 10 though, it should charge much faster. I didn't test the Note 9's speeds, but it seemed on par with Quick Charge speeds.
    08-17-2019 02:45 PM
    Have you seen any info on the maximum charging ability of the Note 10's? Only once have I seen a phone accept more than the stock charger (the LG G4 was QC2.0 compatible, but was shipped with a standard charger). I'd doubt the Note 10 would accept a faster charge, even if you plugged in a 200W rated charger, as it's the phone that determines the maximum charging rate. I could be wrong, but that's why I said I'd let someone else speed that money and test it.
    It's supposedly capable of 45 Watts through a PD charger. So of you plugged into a charger greater than or equal to 45 Watts, it should charge at 45 Watts when it can.
    08-17-2019 02:49 PM
    It's supposedly capable of 45 Watts through a PD charger. So of you plugged into a charger greater than or equal to 45 Watts, it should charge at 45 Watts when it can.
    Ok. I'd still let someone else try it first and see what the real world change in charging times are.
    08-17-2019 02:54 PM
66 123