[AT&T][GALAXY NOTE 2] ***How To Root***

mrclowny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: ***How To Root***

I'm stuck trying to get my phone in the Download Mode.. When I hold down volume Up + Home + Power...

It loads with the following options:

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipfe data/factory reset
wipe cache parition
apply update from cache..

Which do i use?

EDIT: Dur to me.. It's Volumn DOWN + Home + Power.. I was using Volumn UP!.. Sorry...

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Is there a step by step video for this....i'm a visual learner. ;)
Ive been digging around for simple chainfire root video for ATT version but had no luck finding one.
It's very very simple to do in Step #1.
If you get lost...have any questions we're here for you.

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Is there a way to do it with a Mac? I saw that someone tried your way and it didn't work and he was just going to use a windows device.. But unfortunately I don't have a Windows device to use.. (I know, shame on me lol..) but just wondering if I could get some tips.. first time Root(er).. thanks in advance

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Is there a way to do it with a Mac? I saw that someone tried your way and it didn't work and he was just going to use a windows device.. But unfortunately I don't have a Windows device to use.. (I know, shame on me lol..) but just wondering if I could get some tips.. first time Root(er).. thanks in advance
I updated OP with link to Mac root

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

I updated OP with link to Mac root

Thank you.. I will go home and try it right away.. Excited to finally root.. quick question.. is there a rom that has the newest update as well? The one where you can rearrange the notification bar with different toggles and remove and whatever you want? Does Cleanrom have that?

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Okay, I'm terrified to try this. There is so much I don't understand and I haven't even read the directions, just skimmed. You said there was no danger to rooting and would not void warrenty: "Whats the danger of rooting....will it void my warranty?
There is No danger in rooting because restore tar is available that holds factory out of the box OS so If you need to take device in for service simply Odin stock tar warranty isn't void." What is "restore tar" and what is odin stock tar?
That's my first question.
Also, you talk about custom ROMs. I already have go launcher on my phone and like it. Is that a "custom rom"? And someone in the thread asked what happens to touch whiz??? I would love to know the answer to that. Also, you say to back up each step. I have no problem with that theory but how do I back up? And if I can just go back to my phone's default settings then I can reinstall everything else but it would suck to have to do that.
Please keep in mind, and be patient cuz I'm 60 yo and although I can do software all day long, pick up any os and figure out how to use it without a manual etc. In fact, my friend who is really really technology illiterate just got her 1st smartphone, an iphone. I have never until she got hers, used an iphone and yet I'm teaching her how to use hers. Go figure. I don't always understand the terminology or why the software works the way it does. That probably makes no sense to you but it's true. You don't have to understand the whys and wherefores to understand how to use the software.
At any rate, thanks in advancew,

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
***How To Root***

I decided to finally root last night. Rooted with Odin and installed CWM Recovery. Now I'm running CleanROM 3.3 ([ROM][12/15] CleanROM 3.3 -★| Aroma! | JB 4.1.2! | Multi-View! | Fast! | Clean! |★- - xda-developers) and Lidroid 15 Toggle Mod V2 (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986932)

Rom is smooth as the stock OS and has very nice installer to help you add or omit what you want. Also improves the already amazing battery life. Havent charged phone in almost 24 hours. When I rooted last night (aroubd 10 P.M. CST) it was 70% and its just now at 30%.

How did you get Quick Panel settings? I flashed Clean ROM 3.3 and I couldn't find it.

mrclowny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

In order to get the Quick Panel, I believe "iDrummer" downloaded this as he mentioned in his post:
Lidroid 15 Toggle Mod V2 (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986932)

I have it downloaded but haven't installed it yet.....

So now that I have rooted my phone over 10 times trying different install options... It's really really easy! and I love it!

Thanks again for the post!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Mikhailov

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
***How To Root***

In order to get the Quick Panel, I believe "iDrummer" downloaded this as he mentioned in his post:
Lidroid 15 Toggle Mod V2 (forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1986932)

I have it downloaded but haven't installed it yet.....

So now that I have rooted my phone over 10 times trying different install options... It's really really easy! and I love it!

Thanks again for the post!

Thanks! Got this running. Love it!

mrclowny

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Sure thing!

slingbox#AC.. thanks for the HD widget info.. I actually found it last nite and have it running.

And I love my Note 2 even more after rooting. =)

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Ok my ATT GN2 friends is it time to root?

Now lets get down to business :)

Enjoy & dont flash drunk :confused:

Phil-

I have been skeptical about flashing, this is my first Andriod and I am terribly worries about screwing it up.... I have been waiting to ensure everything is stable since this is a new phone, but I think it is time to jump. Thank you for the references and the confidence!

bellamyepl

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Alright.. after a few failed attempts I finally have it rooted.. now.. have a few questions.. first do you need to download goo manager.. I mean with cwm alright on it?? I downloaded it anyways but just wondering.. and as far as flashing.. the best way (maybe the only way?) is to download it from the website.. in this case where you get the cleanrom 3.3.. and then transfer it to the phone? I have been trying to download cleanrom 3.3 all night and it is taking forever and also just stopped and won't resume.. I have internet speed of around 20mbps but it will only download at like 45kbps.. what is going on? hopefully someone can clear these things up..

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Alright.. after a few failed attempts I finally have it rooted.. now.. have a few questions.. first do you need to download goo manager.. I mean with cwm alright on it?? I downloaded it anyways but just wondering.. and as far as flashing.. the best way (maybe the only way?) is to download it from the website.. in this case where you get the cleanrom 3.3.. and then transfer it to the phone? I have been trying to download cleanrom 3.3 all night and it is taking forever and also just stopped and won't resume.. I have internet speed of around 20mbps but it will only download at like 45kbps.. what is going on? hopefully someone can clear these things up..

Reference Here
Use GooManager to install TWRP.
Must have custom recovery installed. I recommend the latest version of twrp.
Copy ROM to storage
Reboot to Recovery
Recommend Factory Reset in Recovery!
Flash ROM and Select Options!
Reboot to System
Profit!

I am downloading it right now at about 100 kbps, maybe the server is just busy.

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

Soo,just "rooting" won't give me multi-window views....right??
I have to load a "ROM" to the phone??

Correct, "rooting" only gives you admin access to the phones operating system.
Flashing a ROM loads an entirely new operating system.

CleanROM 3.3 is a whole new operating system for your phone and will allow all the extra bells and whistles, see the reference link above, it will show you all the details.

UsedName

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Correct, "rooting" only gives you admin access to the phones operating system.
Flashing a ROM loads an entirely new operating system.

CleanROM 3.3 is a whole new operating system for your phone and will allow all the extra bells and whistles, see the reference link above, it will show you all the details.

OK, Thanks for clearing that up with me!! LOL

Well, I've been on the fence on doing this to my 2-3 week old GN2 and just don't have the confidice to do this.
To me its just to risky for just to have some features that AT&T doesn't have at this time.... at least until the update.

Thanks guys!

JayRatliff

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

I have been skeptical about flashing, this is my first Andriod and I am terribly worries about screwing it up.... I have been waiting to ensure everything is stable since this is a new phone, but I think it is time to jump. Thank you for the references and the confidence!

Jump completed, running CleanROM 3.3, seems to be running great!! Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance