[AT&T] Ignorant User has Many, Many Questions about Rooting

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm terrified to try rooting. Everyone says its easy peasy but there is so much I don't understand. I'm 60 years old and I can learn any os, app, computer program, etc without anyone's help. I'm not afraid to try most things and I understand how to operate most soft ware. I am clueless about hardware or how it all works together. My friend got her 1st smartphone, an iphone (I know, yuck, yuck, yuck but I have to admit, for a new user who is way more terrified of technology than I am, iphone is a good choice for her) and I've never used an iphone. I'm teaching her how to use her iphone.

At any rate, I did see the thread about how to root but I still have a whole lot of questions. I did ask some of questions in that thread but no one responded so I thought maybe I could ask them in a separate thread and perhaps others as uncertain and ignorant of the deeper cell phone/technology functioning would ask questions also.

In the directions, Slingbox said there was no danger to rooting and it would not void warranty: "Whats the danger of rooting....will it void my warranty? There is No danger in rooting because restore tar is available that holds factory out of the box OS so If you need to take device in for service simply Odin stock tar warranty isn't void."

What is tar? What is odin stock tar?

Also, you talk about custom ROMs. I already have go launcher on my phone and like it. Is that a "custom rom" or is that just simply a launcher that installs over an os?

Someone in the multi-tasking thread asked what happens to touch whiz??? I would love to know the answer to that.

Also, you say to back up each step. I have no problem with that theory but how do I back up?

If I understood the directions, you will have a way to restore phone to default settings right? If I know that's possible, I will feel a lot easier with rooting.

As I said, I do well with software. I don't always understand the terminology or why the software works the way it does. That probably makes no sense to you but it's true. You don't have to understand the whys and wherefores to understand how to use the software. At any rate, thanks in advance,

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Ignorant User has Many, Many Questions about Rooting

Okay, I'm terrified to try rooting. Everyone says its easy peasy but there is so much I don't understand. I'm 60 years old and I can learn any os, app, computer program, etc without anyone's help. I'm not afraid to try most things and I understand how to operate most soft ware. I am clueless about hardware or how it all works together. My friend got her 1st smartphone, an iphone (I know, yuck, yuck, yuck but I have to admit, for a new user who is way more terrified of technology than I am, iphone is a good choice for her) and I've never used an iphone. I'm teaching her how to use her iphone.

At any rate, I did see the thread about how to root but I still have a whole lot of questions. I did ask some of questions in that thread but no one responded so I thought maybe I could ask them in a separate thread and perhaps others as uncertain and ignorant of the deeper cell phone/technology functioning would ask questions also.

In the directions, Slingbox said there was no danger to rooting and it would not void warranty: "Whats the danger of rooting....will it void my warranty? There is No danger in rooting because restore tar is available that holds factory out of the box OS so If you need to take device in for service simply Odin stock tar warranty isn't void."
Yes it is true while your device is rooted if you were to have something happen and take it in for repair it would be considered ineligible. Although as you have read the device can be restored back to a factory stock state thus removing any signs of being rooted in the event you need to have repair done or just want to run unroot/stock again.
What is tar? What is odin stock tar?
Odin is a tool that Samsung uses and leaked out years ago that allows one to flash (install) an entire new OS, modem (radio), kernel and associated firmware on the device. The ' tar ' is the software file in a compressed special image format to be flashed onto the device. Note when using Odin to flash an entire OS it does erase the entire device, this is how it removes any sign of previous modifications to the device. Normally the entire process from start to finish of flashing a tar file is a few minutes.
Also, you talk about custom ROMs. I already have go launcher on my phone and like it. Is that a "custom rom" or is that just simply a launcher that installs over an os?
Your correct a 3rd party launcher like Go Launcher is just an application. It doesn't require you to be rooted or running a custom ROM. A custom ROM is a " hacked " version of the stock OS. It could be in the form of complete stock with ' root ' access applied, or it may have all the factory installed bloatware removed or it could have custom modifications and theme work done to it. The possibilities are endless with custom ROMs.
Someone in the multi-tasking thread asked what happens to touch whiz??? I would love to know the answer to that.
Touchwiz will remain in tact unless you flash a custom ROM based on AOSP (vanilla Android) like CM (Cyanogen Mod ROM). Touchwiz is not something that is easily removed because it is coded deep within the OS. Its Samsung's UI overlay which they build into the OS to theme and add other features to vanilla Android (AOSP)
Also, you say to back up each step. I have no problem with that theory but how do I back up?
Normally when someone refers to backups they mean a Nandroid Backup. This is done from within a custom recovery which is normally flashed (installed) when you unlock and root your device to install custom ROMs. Custom Recoveries like CWM (ClockWorkMod) or TWRP (TeamWinRecoveryProject) are much more advanced versions of the stock recovery which allow you to flash custom ROMs, kernels, themes, custom app packages and much more. The Nandroid Backup I referred to is a complete, exact image of your device at that moment in time and is placed on your storage of the device. In the event you want to return to that moment or say something goes wrong and a custom ROM or something you flashed isn't functioning properly you can RESTORE this backup. Consider it like a get out of jail free card like in Monopoly... :D
If I understood the directions, you will have a way to restore phone to default settings right? If I know that's possible, I will feel a lot easier with rooting.

As I said, I do well with software. I don't always understand the terminology or why the software works the way it does. That probably makes no sense to you but it's true. You don't have to understand the whys and wherefores to understand how to use the software. At any rate, thanks in advance,
Yes as I explained earlier you can restore back to complete factory stock as it appeared right out of the box in the event you need to.

I hope I've answered your questions and put you at ease with your interest in rooting your device.

Anything further to ask myself or someone else will be happy to help.

Enjoy!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Everything that Paul said is spot on. Rooting is one of the things in the Android world where someone people see no need for it while others see it as the only way.

Personally speaking, I got my first Droid and I was in the first catagory. Didn't root and refused to do it for the fact that I didn't understand the process, why it was needed/wanted and what it actually allowed. Years and many phones later, I am on the other side. I root every phone when there is an opportunity. I don't do it for the fact that you get access to certain features taht are otherwise unavailable to stock users. For example, Titanium Backup which allows you to backup all of your installed applications to your SD Card (if you have one) or internal memory in case you need to reformat or do something you can quickily and easily restore all of you applications in a couple clicks.

That is fraction of what rooting can do for your phone. Rooting opens up the possibility of tweaking kernel settings, disabling usesless bloat, flashing mods and much more.

With ODIN, the process doesn't get much easier. If you follow the directions carefully, you should be fine and not have any issues. Just make sure that you have everything set up before hand such as drivers, applications and downloads.

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I recommend cleanrom 3.3. It looks just like the stock rom but has all the functions of the international version. It also gives you option to remove bloatware on install.

Do a google search for cleanrom 3.3 and XDA. You can find the answers to all your questions on the XDA site.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

:) Did that already. I just want to be able to understand what I'm doing before I do it. Thanks so much for your advice. I might just bite the bullet. Not 100% sure but I am in the upper 90s. I'm hoping once I've done it, perhaps it won't seem so scary and I'll understand more. I find doing for me brings on comprehension more than explanations do ahead of time. I saw that clean rom didn't require a payment but asks for a donation. How much is typical???

I recommend cleanrom 3.3. It looks just like the stock rom but has all the functions of the international version. It also gives you option to remove bloatware on install.

Do a google search for cleanrom 3.3 and XDA. You can find the answers to all your questions on the XDA site.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

"That is fraction of what rooting can do for your phone. Rooting opens up the possibility of tweaking kernel settings, disabling usesless bloat, flashing mods and much more." I don't understand kernal settings but useless bloatware would be nice to get rid of! Way nice!

With ODIN, the process doesn't get much easier. If you follow the directions carefully, you should be fine and not have any issues. Just make sure that you have everything set up before hand such as drivers, applications and downloads.
Okay, you forgot you were dealing with Ignoramus :) . So what drivers? I'm assuming odin & clean rom, anything else? twrp???

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Thanks so much Paul627g. I know it must have taken awhile to post all of that and I truly appreciate it. Guess I have a project for Christmas break :) Just on a side note, do you have any idea when and if At&t will put out multi-tasking??? Which brings up another question. When I had the htc inspire, it came with froyo. Then when At&t put out update to gingerbread it just happened as I recall. I unlocked my screen and there it was. I don't think I ever gave permission, said yes etc. They just flashed it to my phone. So my question is, if I do root and they flash the update without my knowing, what will it do to my rooting.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

"That is fraction of what rooting can do for your phone. Rooting opens up the possibility of tweaking kernel settings, disabling usesless bloat, flashing mods and much more." I don't understand kernal settings but useless bloatware would be nice to get rid of! Way nice!

Okay, you forgot you were dealing with Ignoramus :) . So what drivers? I'm assuming odin & clean rom, anything else? twrp???

Drivers as in the Samsung drivers so it communicates with your computer correctly. If you have Windows 7, just plug your phone in and let it do its thing and you will be fine. TWRP you can flash after you root your phone.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

So my question is, if I do root and they flash the update without my knowing, what will it do to my rooting.
Your welcome for the explanation.

Normally the rule of thumb is if you root the device to utilize root access required apps like tethering or back up programs and keep your device in stock form it will receive an OTA ' over the air ' update. Upon receiving the update if it does install the worst case situation is you will lose root access and you would have to reapply that again.

On the other hand once you start removing bloat ware and/or flash a custom ROM it basically removes the device from receiving any OTA notification/update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Normally the rule of thumb is if you root the device to utilize root access required apps like tethering or back up programs and keep your device in stock form it will receive an OTA ' over the air ' update. Upon receiving the update if it does install the worst case situation is you will lose root access and you would have to reapply that again.

On the other hand once you start removing bloat ware and/or flash a custom ROM it basically removes the device from receiving any OTA notification/update.

All of this is true but to add, if you do end up staying Stock and just rooted you can download and app called Voodoo Root Keeper which will let you save root paths, unroot, perform your OTA updat and then run the Voodoo Root Keeper program to regain root access. Makes it very simple.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Little further explanation of what a stock or custom recovery is...

The stock recovery is put in place and used by the carrier or OEM to install officially licensed OS software to the device. This is done either OTA or by using a specially designed official manual update software. That is basically the function of the stock recovery.

Custom recoveries like I mentioned CWM or TWRP are flashed on the device to replace the stock recovery and allow unofficial OS software updates to be applied 'custom ROMs'.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

All of this is true but to add, if you do end up staying Stock and just rooted you can download and app called Voodoo Root Keeper which will let you save root paths, unroot, perform your OTA updat and then run the Voodoo Root Keeper program to regain root access. Makes it very simple.

Simple is what I need.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Another question. All my apps will still be on device??? Or will they have to be reinstalled? And what about s pen stuff and apps specific to the device?

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Here is what you do. Root first. Then go to playstore and download titanium backup. Do a backup of all your apps. Then download goomanager. Use this to install custome recovery twrp. Then when thsts done. Take cleanrom3.3 and copy to your phone. Open goomanager and install cleanrom.

When recovery starts, do a factory reset. Then install cleanrom. Cleanrom will walk you through what you want to install.

Once you are back up and running go and download titanium backup again. Choose the option to restore only apps. If you choose a different option there may be problems.

Now you are done.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Another question. All my apps will still be on device??? Or will they have to be reinstalled? And what about s pen stuff and apps specific to the device?
I'm not entirely positive with the Note 2 rooting procedure but going off previous Samsung devices you can apply root access and flash a custom recovery onto the device WITHOUT changing or losing any of your current data/apps/settings will remain.

Here is what you do. Root first. Then go to playstore and download titanium backup. Do a backup of all your apps. Then download goomanager. Use this to install custome recovery twrp. Then when thsts done. Take cleanrom3.3 and copy to your phone. Open goomanager and install cleanrom.

When recovery starts, do a factory reset. Then install cleanrom. Cleanrom will walk you through what you want to install.

Once you are back up and running go and download titanium backup again. Choose the option to restore only apps. If you choose a different option there may be problems.

Now you are done.
From the way your describing CleanROM it does sound like a good ROM with options upon installation.

I do like the way the OP is approaching things by researching and asking plenty of questions. Rushing into rooting and not understanding things before hand can lead to trouble.

topshelf95

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site

Here is a link to what I hope will be a helpful post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2058320

Even though the install description is in reply to questions about installing the jedi rom which I am currently running and can vouch for, the steps should be almost exactly the same for cleanrom and might put things in laymens terms a little better. Someone please correct me if there are any disparities. Although I haven't tried cleanrom, I've only heard good things about it. Both, however will give you multi window among other things. In reality the jedi rom is not too different than stock either and when you pull out the stylus it sounds like a light saber :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Don't need a light saber sound. I jump when my phone rings so no telling what a light saber would do. When I was in high school, had a summer job with a title program and we were recataloging all the library books which were divided out between classrooms. My coworkers took great delight in walking into whatever classroom I was in and scaring the crap out of me.

Here is a link to what I hope will be a helpful post.

[Q] Flashing Jedi X6.1.2 - xda-developers

Even though the install description is in reply to questions about installing the jedi rom which I am currently running and can vouch for, the steps should be almost exactly the same for cleanrom and might put things in laymens terms a little better. Someone please correct me if there are any disparities. Although I haven't tried cleanrom, I've only heard good things about it. Both, however will give you multi window among other things. In reality the jedi rom is not too different than stock either and when you pull out the stylus it sounds like a light saber :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad